Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Computer Technical Help (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Using OpenVPN and keeping access to LAN (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=435907)

illunious 06-25-2007 06:29 PM

Using OpenVPN and keeping access to LAN

I have openvpn (win32) set up to get internet access through findnot, and it's working fine, but I can't figure out how to keep access to my local machines (192.168.1.x) after I connect.

I'm sure they cover this somewhere on the site, but I don't even know what terminology to be looking for in the help/howto docs.

Note: I don't have access to the server configuration, just the client.

Thanks!

funkyworms 06-25-2007 07:03 PM

Re: $10 on FT. Using OpenVPN and keeping access to LAN

Make it $1000. I don't think rewards are allowed in CTH.

krazyace5 06-25-2007 07:05 PM

I wouldnt use findnot, it has been reported that neteller/pokersite accounts have been shut down from people using findnot service because there is so much fraud through findnot.

illunious 06-25-2007 07:09 PM

Not using it to play poker.

If it is the case that rewards aren't allowed on CTH I apologize (didn't see this on the sticky), feel free to delete this and I'll start one without that.

funkyworms 06-25-2007 07:15 PM

NP. I don't think it's in the sticky.

I've successfully set up OpenVPN and can ping between both OpenVPN peers, however I cannot reach any of the other machines on the subnet. What's the problem?

Make sure that the firewall is not filtering the TUN/TAP interface.

Make sure you have IP forwarding enabled on the server.
* If you are using routing (not ethernet bridging), make sure the clients (or LAN gateway) have a route back to the server for the packets coming in over the tunnel. This can be done by:
o adding a route in your default gateway for the VPN network IP subnet pointing to the OpenVPN machine,
o adding a route to every client, or
o NATing all VPN traffic to the local address of the OpenVPN machine for network traffic which leaves the OpenVPN machine for the local net.

If you are still stumped, use tcpdump, ethereal, or WinDump to determine where packets are being dropped.

kerowo 06-25-2007 07:27 PM

Yea, why isn't it on the sticky?

funkyworms 06-25-2007 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yea, why isn't it allowed?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

kerowo 06-25-2007 07:43 PM

I figure it's not allowed because no one wants to deal with the drama bombs... "I want my two dollars"

illunious 06-25-2007 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NP. I don't think it's in the sticky.

I've successfully set up OpenVPN and can ping between both OpenVPN peers, however I cannot reach any of the other machines on the subnet. What's the problem?

Make sure that the firewall is not filtering the TUN/TAP interface.

Make sure you have IP forwarding enabled on the server.
* If you are using routing (not ethernet bridging), make sure the clients (or LAN gateway) have a route back to the server for the packets coming in over the tunnel. This can be done by:
o adding a route in your default gateway for the VPN network IP subnet pointing to the OpenVPN machine,
o adding a route to every client, or
o NATing all VPN traffic to the local address of the OpenVPN machine for network traffic which leaves the OpenVPN machine for the local net.

If you are still stumped, use tcpdump, ethereal, or WinDump to determine where packets are being dropped.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this not to get access to machines on the remote network? This looks like stuff that you would do on the server side.

"adding a route to every client" might be what I need but I have no idea what that involves. I tried using "push" in the config but it said that's a server option. Also tried doing ipconfig 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0, but that didn't work, not even sure if I'm on the right path.

funkyworms 06-25-2007 08:29 PM

will you post your "ipconfig /all" results?