Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MOD DISCUSSION (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Sporting troll PLO8Killer (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=549352)

xorbie 11-18-2007 10:47 PM

Sporting troll PLO8Killer

Can we ban this fool? If you post in SE you know what I'm talking about.

hra146 11-19-2007 09:07 AM

Re: Sporting troll PLO8Killer

My search engine (or me) is being retarded today. You dont mean "PLO8facekilla" do you?

(I do expect you to be competent enough to actually give us the right nick, but there is this silent hope inside me that you mean PLO8facekilla cause the guy is a complete tard)

xorbie 11-19-2007 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PLO8facekilla

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes sorry, this is the right one.

tuq 11-19-2007 09:46 AM

I'm 99% sure I posted about this somewhere in this forum already (where he wasn't the subject).

While Sports does self-mod, it is a problem when posters like this come along in a real-time type thread where the tensions are running high. This clown did his best to wreck the Indy-Chargers thread last week and I don't know what he's up to now that zorbie's pissed about. User "Jessica + some numbers after that" did the same thing during the World Series. People were clamoring to get these people banned but I couldn't touch them. Even though they needed a time out it would be another Yeti-Assani thing, i.e. a bad idea. We should at least be given discretion to temp ban obvious trolls like these.

xorbie 11-19-2007 09:49 AM

More of the same (trolling during Pats/Bills). I'd at least want him banned for a day or two with a warning to stop trolling.

tuq 11-19-2007 02:35 PM

I just blazed through that thread to see his posts (CTRL + F FTW). Definitely as it stands the Sports forum is very well modded (less is more) but it does allow for tards like him to derail an entire thread with provocative/trollish comments. I'd support some sort of 12 hour/1 day out of forum ban + PM an admin or at least a "repeat offender" thing where these people can't keep wrecking things. Unfortunately the Yeti/Assani thing seems to have clouded matters.

Mostly I'm annoyed that they can get away with it, where in a more mod-heavy forum they'd get tossed before too long.

NT! 11-19-2007 08:15 PM

while we're at it can someone get semtex a ballgag, that guy is retarded

tuq 11-19-2007 08:50 PM

No clue what you mean w/r/t Semtex. He came on my radar for the first time just today in the NBA thread and seems perfectly fine. Please don't lump him in with obvious trolls like the subject of the OP or you'd have to nuke the entire Sports forum.

xorbie 11-19-2007 11:40 PM

Ok... SE mods are not around it seems. We have numerous mods who post in SE and I think pretty much every regular poster agree this guy needs a good slap around with the ban stick. Do we just move on this or what?

JaredL 11-19-2007 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok... SE mods are not around it seems. We have numerous mods who post in SE and I think pretty much every regular poster agree this guy needs a good slap around with the ban stick. Do we just move on this or what?

[/ QUOTE ]

We're not sporting events mods and this is far from an emergency so no.

MEbenhoe 11-20-2007 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm around, I've just ignored it cuz its silly how much you guys get your panties in a bunch over a guy like this. Please explain why posts like this deserve a ban other than that he obviously is wrong about manning and the colts sucking.

[ QUOTE ]
Vince Young can't even count to 10, i doubt he can do anything in this game.

If they have to rely on him throwing the ball, they are SCREWED.

Unless they start bribing officials like the Colts, this one is over.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Yes Randy Moss did wonders in Oakland.........

the fact of the matter is, Manning is not as good as we were once led to believe as nfl fans. At first he appeared to be a great nfl qb, but that was only when he was surrounded by pro-bowl weapons. Now that he's even missing a couple pro bowlers, he's playing like garbage. And he still has Reggie Wayne, Addai, and Dallas Clark for the most part.

Unless he is surrounded by studs, Manning is mediocre at best.

it's actually pretty sad. I feel cheated as an nfl fan but it's up to me to point out the truth... and this is it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
when you consider the ridiculously biased officials, artificial crowd noise, and the fact that it was new england's worst game of the year..... it really isn't that amazing.

try again.

[/ QUOTE ]

but these type of posts have people outraged and clamoring for him to be banned. The problem is in the sports forum there is a group of posters who clamors for bans and calls people trolls whenever someone posts extremely homeristic points of view or if they don't have a super statistically based view of sports. Are they wrong, biased, sometimes annoying? yes. Are these banworthy offenses? maybe in OOT but not in any other forum on 2+2.

Also, I've started the following thread to hopefully help head off this problem:

link

xorbie 11-20-2007 12:26 AM

It's not those posts, it's the posts where whenever you reply to anything he trolls about you being a fanboy or hating the Patriots or whatever ridiculousness. I'm not saying he requires a permanent ban, but at least a PM telling him to cut the crap would be appreciated.

tuq 11-20-2007 12:31 AM

MEbenhoe,

I think you're just flat wrong if you don't see how a very, very small minority of posters can wreck threads. I'm referring to the threads that get 500 posts in an afternoon, the type that you and Clark can't be expected to police. The type where giving someone a half day ban + a PM would help.

Again, to me it's not about policing to get our rocks off, it's annoyance at a single person allowing an otherwise enjoyable thread to be wrecked. The sad fact of the matter is that people are incapable of using the ignore feature properly or otherwise tuning trolls out; that's part of the reason we're around.

It is kind of tough to participate in a thread where users are looking at me or Jared or zorbie to take action and we can't because it's a violation. The sticky you posted actually makes things more difficult cuz now people are unable to point out the worst violators.

Meh, whatever, you're my nga. By the way, played in a golf tournament last Friday that Bob Uecker was in. His team ended up winning, actually. I don't have much of an opinion on the guy but it was super gay that he wore his bluetooth headset all the way through dinner and the award ceremony. I mean seriously, take that [censored] off, it's not like you've got an important call coming.

Dynasty 11-20-2007 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
....it's the posts where whenever you reply to anything he trolls about you being a fanboy or hating the Patriots or whatever ridiculousness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you see your own role in this?

xorbie 11-20-2007 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
....it's the posts where whenever you reply to anything he trolls about you being a fanboy or hating the Patriots or whatever ridiculousness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you see your own role in this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seeing as how I barely ever say anything to him and have done nothing wrong, no.

MEbenhoe 11-20-2007 09:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The sticky you posted actually makes things more difficult cuz now people are unable to point out the worst violators.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I don't think there has ever been a single post on 2+2 where somebody randomly calling for someone's ban or saying someone was a [censored] poster in a thread was worthwhile at all. The sticky now forces people to point out "the worst violators" in the proper way.

xorbie 11-20-2007 11:16 AM

I agree with the sticky, just that we need something to be done when 90% of posters are calling for someone to be sent off.

MEbenhoe 11-20-2007 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with the sticky, just that we need something to be done when 90% of posters are calling for someone to be sent off.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol at it being 90% of posters. A small vocal group of posters (which happens to largely be amongst the same small group that thinks SE should be modded more like OOT) is not 90% of the sports forum posters. Read the most recent posts in the Assani thread in ATF, you'll even see a couple of the most active SE posters outright saying they think all the complaints that PLO8 should be banned are silly.

ClarkNasty 11-20-2007 02:06 PM

Everyone in SE is a troll. It's all a matter of degree.

MEbenhoe 11-20-2007 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone in SE is a troll. It's all a matter of degree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well put actually.

hra146 11-20-2007 03:23 PM

yaeahaaa... I only skimmed thru the thread after it was confirmed that its PLO8facekilla.

The guy is either a complete idiot or a very clever troll. Im not keen on having him around either way.

edit: okay now I read it, seems there is a little controversity; All I can say is that he used to post about Omaha in the HU forum trying to derail threads that were CLEARLY about holdem. He would go along and make ridiculous statements and when people asked him for reasoning he would say "Well, in Omaha..."

Ive had a quick fight with him about this stuff once, but then continued to ignore him.

edit2: The truly annoying thing about this was that he would not immediately say that he is referring to omaha. He would have a 10 post discussion with people trying to prove a point and only after a while make it clear that he is talking about omaha. All of this in threads that were clearly referring to holdem.

tuq 11-20-2007 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
edit2: The truly annoying thing about this was that he would not immediately say that he is referring to omaha. He would have a 10 post discussion with people trying to prove a point and only after a while make it clear that he is talking about omaha. All of this in threads that were clearly referring to holdem.

[/ QUOTE ]
For some reason I consider this hilarious.

MEbenhoe 11-20-2007 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yaeahaaa... I only skimmed thru the thread after it was confirmed that its PLO8facekilla.

The guy is either a complete idiot or a very clever troll. Im not keen on having him around either way.

edit: okay now I read it, seems there is a little controversity; All I can say is that he used to post about Omaha in the HU forum trying to derail threads that were CLEARLY about holdem. He would go along and make ridiculous statements and when people asked him for reasoning he would say "Well, in Omaha..."

Ive had a quick fight with him about this stuff once, but then continued to ignore him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ban obv

NT! 11-20-2007 07:43 PM

matt,

in general i accept that the modding style in SE is much lighter than my own, and that's what the forum wants. but i think you could be a little more proactive in terms of 'guiding' or banning posters who are perpetually and ludicrously wrong all the [censored] time, who refuse to listen to others' arguments, who repeat the same argument over and over after it has been clearly and totally discredited, etc.

yeah, sporting events trolling is basically a matter of degree. and when a [censored] troll like tuq is saying that some people are out of line to the point it warrants intervention, i think that indicates a pretty huge degree. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

i think it should be quiet, discrete, rare, and totally up to you, but i do think a few people need to get straightened out in that forum.

MEbenhoe 11-20-2007 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

but i think you could be a little more proactive in terms of 'guiding' or banning posters who are perpetually and ludicrously wrong all the [censored] time, who refuse to listen to others' arguments, who repeat the same argument over and over after it has been clearly and totally discredited, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you just described every sports forum on the internet and for that matter every sports discussion/argument that has ever taken place in history.

tuq 11-20-2007 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when a [censored] troll like tuq is saying that some people are out of line to the point it warrants intervention, i think that indicates a pretty huge degree.

[/ QUOTE ]
EXACTLY!!!

NT! 11-20-2007 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think you just described every sports forum on the internet and for that matter every sports discussion/argument that has ever taken place in history.

[/ QUOTE ]

so because most people are retards when it comes to sports we should let them all be as retarded as they want?

if that's the case i am going to start having some real fun in that forum

xorbie 11-20-2007 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol at it being 90% of posters. A small vocal group of posters (which happens to largely be amongst the same small group that thinks SE should be modded more like OOT) is not 90% of the sports forum posters. Read the most recent posts in the Assani thread in ATF, you'll even see a couple of the most active SE posters outright saying they think all the complaints that PLO8 should be banned are silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also just read that thread and there are only two posts that mention PLO8, so don't make it out like this is a serious case for him.

Could people ignore him? Yes. People can ignore people who flame relentlessly too. We still ban those chumps. This guy is IMO clearly trolling.

MEbenhoe 11-20-2007 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so because most people are retards when it comes to sports we should let them all be as retarded as they want?

if that's the case i am going to start having some real fun in that forum

[/ QUOTE ]

We obviously just have different views of how a forum should be modded. You think people should be banned for being wrong or disagreeing with you, I think they should be banned if they break the T&Cs.

MEbenhoe 11-20-2007 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I also just read that thread and there are only two posts that mention PLO8, so don't make it out like this is a serious case for him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't, I said a couple people had said in that thread that it was ridiculous. You're the one sighting a few people complaining about him as 90% of the forum. End of the day I don't care if he gets banned, he's an idiot. I just won't be the one who bans him unless he does something that is truly out of line. From what you guys are saying there's basis for someone from one of the strat forums to just ban him anyways.

NT! 11-20-2007 09:10 PM

how i mod my forum has a lot to do with how OOT users like it to be modded, i don't think people should be banned for disagreeing with me, that's an obviously retarded statement. i specifically stated otherwise in my last post, in fact. and if i was a mod of SE (which i would probably hate and am not a good fit for) i would mod it MUCH less stringently than OOT because that's what its users prefer.

i am not even saying you have to ban someone. i am saying the fact that your users are constantly calling for bans means they are dissatisfied with some element of the moderation - namely, the fact that people are allowed to basically be utterly retarded so long as they don't tell anyone to die in a grease fire or post a link to an NFL game streaming. but your response to that is to ban the messenger instead of asking what your users actually want, and then to ignore a very diplomatic and constructive post on my part because you think i am just a nazi.

MEbenhoe 11-20-2007 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
namely, the fact that people are allowed to basically be utterly retarded so long as they don't tell anyone to die in a grease fire or post a link to an NFL game streaming. but your response to that is to ban the messenger instead of asking what your users actually want

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with sports is that there is a certain group of posters who study the game at a ridiculously statistically based level that think anyone who talks like the average fan is "utterly retarded". Yes these people are more often than not right in their arguments about the subject at hand, but they have unrealistic expectations that everyone should look at sports the way they do. Really what fun would these discussions be if they were just like, Peyton Manning is awesome because it statistically says he is awesome, yes i agree the stats do say that Manning is awesome, Yes lets continue to talk about Mannings statistical domination of the game of football, etc. Cmon a good sports forums needs the nuts who despite all statistical evidence are biased enough to say Peyton Manning sucks, or conspiracy theorists to talk about how the league fixes games. If you want to have deep statistically-based discussions of a sport start a thread to discuss things at this level and I'll police it like crazy to make sure the nuts stay out of it, but expecting this to be an across the board thing is just too much.

2p2 posters in general hate that which doesn't think like them. And honestly, there is absolutely zero value in people posting in threads in a forum that isn't ATF about banning a poster. So call it banning the messenger if you want, but there is a built in feature in the forum software that gives the people the ability to say "HEY BAN THIS GUY!!!!", expecting people to use this instead of derailing a thread to talk about how somebody needs to be banned for their crackpot theory that the nfl is out to get the patriots isn't asking much. In reality, I think if this was a rule across the board that people calling out for bans in thread would receive a temp ban of their own, the forums would actually see a nice improvement from this. Actually wasn't this a rule in OOT for awhile under [censored]'s reign?

NT! 11-20-2007 10:42 PM

i am not saying these things as a stat-head, neither is tuq. don't try to frame this as a bunch of sabermetricians screaming for the heads of anyone who doesn't include VORP in their MVP voting.

i agree that banning people adds little, if anything to a thread. i think it was an OOT rule at one point and it's not a bad one. but banning those people is an odd place to start in a forum where you can say peyton manning [censored] the only person with an IQ lower than his (his mother) and get away with it.

you are free to do whatever you want. i am talking to you as a SE poster, not a mod, and i am telling you that i and many of my fellow posters (many of whom have very different views than my own) think that A LITTLE MORE moderation would help the forum. even without banning. even if it's just a few guidelines or suggestions, or the occasional PM to a truly terrible user. maybe you are doing things like that and we just don't know it, but based on your posts in this thread it seems not.

it's not like all the idiots and wingnuts are going to stop posting if one or two get reprimanded. trust me. i tried that. it doesn't work. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

MEbenhoe 11-20-2007 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i am saying the fact that your users are constantly calling for bans means they are dissatisfied with some element of the moderation

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, like the 90% thing xorbie said, this is a huge exaggeration. There are two examples of this recently Assani and PLO8facekilla, while for a long stretch there are basically no examples of this. The Assani one was ridiculous, and once the subject was really brought up he prob had more supporters than detractors. PLO8, like I've said I could care less if he's banned, but I don't go looking for reasons to ban people, and he really hasn't done anything that out of line in terms of the rules these forums were originally formed with. I mean really, you guys have all been around to remember when Mat was the only mod, and the only thing that got you banned was a clear violation of the T&C's. Obviously I think we've progressed and should from this, but I really still think some of you guys are a little ban-happy.

tuq 11-20-2007 10:50 PM

If anyone cares, and since Sports may actually be the forum I visit the most: I think you both make great points. And there's no reason you two can't reach a consensus.

NT! is generally right because there are what would we guess, 80-100 regular posters in Sports? I mean those averaging 15+ posts/week across all sports. And yet there are just 1-2 that constantly push buttons and piss people off. I don't see why it would be so hard to just run PLO8 and Vyse and enjoy the improvement in signal : noise. Remember, BobO was banned for similar crimes against the internet and you have to admit it has been an improvement.

MEbenhoe is right by default because I believe among the non-strat forums (and possibly including them) Sports is the most miserable, bitchy forum on this site except maybe Politics. Which I avoid like herpes so I mean maybe it's much better or much worse, I'm just reacting to the bitchfests that spill into ATF. Thus you're going to have a lot of emotions running high, etc., and to wield the ban stick heavily just seems like it would make things worse, if not way worse.

Obvious solution seems to be to just eliminate the worst of the worst, as this thread's existence is suggesting. And I don't know if NT! was joking or serious about me being a "[censored] troll", but I am probably one of the better, least argumentative posters in the NBA threads, and when it comes to football and baseball I try to stay out of opinionated discussion because for the most part I feel badly outclassed.

NT! 11-20-2007 10:51 PM

people have called for a lot more than just those two to be banned. vyse, that epipen guy, some others.

and anyway i keep saying this, IT ISN'T JUST ABOUT BANNING. you can do whatever you want, moderation doesn't just mean you sit back and wait for someone to post horse porn. SE is one of the higher traffic forums on 2p2, it may be having some growing pains. do whatever you want, i am just suggesting that you do SOMETHING.

NT! 11-20-2007 10:52 PM

tuq,

it was sarcasm ldo

MEbenhoe 11-20-2007 10:55 PM

Well we may have a misunderstanding to some level. I do send PMs, I delete posts, I give people short temp bans and tell them how they need to clean up their act. Assani, vyse, and epipen have actually had all of these actions happen to them. imo epipen and vyse have both been a lot better lately because of it. I was mainly arguing that I hand't really seen much that out of line that this plo8 guy had done, so I disagreed with you all calling for his head. Also, fwiw the growing size of the sports forum is why I thought it would be a good idea to bring Clark on, and he's been awesome and very helpful so far.

tuq 11-20-2007 10:56 PM

Yeah, what NT! said while I was writing my long, no doubt destined to be unread rant.

Matt, I just think it's possible you're being a little defensive. Everyone loves you, your less is more philosophy could climb mountains, it's just that I've seen threads where PLO8 and Jessica and Vyse wreck the fun with their posts and 1/3 of the thread is "ban please" or "STFU troll", etc. The fact that they're going unchecked (and appear to be aware of this) is as annoying as anything.

Mahalo.

NT! 11-20-2007 10:58 PM

well it's good to hear that you are doing things like that. maybe a brief sticky would help people realize that there are some rules and mods are paying attention.

and it's fine if you don't think things are as bad as i do, i don't think they're 'bad' per se, i just think as the site grows we are seeing more people like epipen and that plo8 guy who are basically immature semi-autistic spaztards who have no idea how to act and just lash out for attention. some come with the territory, but catching some on the front end will keep it down.