Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   My friend drives drunk (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=452755)

wacki 07-16-2007 07:29 PM

My friend drives drunk

I hate to say it but I have a friend that has an incredibly high alcohol tolerance and isn't afraid to drive drunk. One of his relatives and I have tried to get him to stop but he just doesn't listen as he's convinced he can drive well. Yes, I know he's being idiotic. I have to admit he seems to be able to drive pretty well when he's drunk but I want to convince him to stop... or at least limit his driving.

We've thought about buying him a breathalyser but that will only prevent him from driving on the worst of days. Another thing he's actually excited about doing is testing how well he can drive on a driving simulator and compare that to his sober driving. This might give him a good idea what his limits really are. Does anyone here have any suggestions for a computer program that might fit this need well?

JasonK 07-16-2007 07:32 PM

Re: My friend drives drunk

Wait till he crashes and dies. Then laugh and say I told you so.

doucy 07-16-2007 07:34 PM

if he does it habitually then it might actually be worth it to make sure he gets a DUI so that he stops.

Sponger. 07-16-2007 07:35 PM

I don't know anyone who drives drunk who has been compelled to stop because people asked him to.

Squareview 07-16-2007 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wait till he crashes and an innocent child dies. Then laugh and say I told you so.

[/ QUOTE ]

blackize 07-16-2007 07:39 PM

Driving drunk is one of the greatest feelings in the world. Don't deprive your friends of it.

JMa 07-16-2007 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another thing he's actually excited about doing is testing how well he can drive on a driving simulator and compare that to his sober driving.

[/ QUOTE ]

this sounds pretty fun.

Bad Beat Maker 07-16-2007 07:50 PM

I like to drive drunk and pretend I'm in a space ship. Hopefully its been raining and I pretend that all the little froggies are enemy aliens planning an invasion so I have to crush them.

TheBlueMonster 07-16-2007 07:59 PM

my friend drives while high. It seems to improve his driving though.

guids 07-16-2007 08:03 PM

you are a terrible friend if you dont forcibly keep him from driving when he is drunk, even if this means nut shots.

bobman0330 07-16-2007 08:04 PM

What would convince him to stop would be calling the police on him.

Blarg 07-16-2007 08:05 PM

Nice to see you back, Wacki!

Good luck in your quest.

Bob Moss 07-16-2007 08:12 PM

Shame, shame, and more shame. That's how you get him to stop this. Better yet, shame him about his drinking problem (just a guess that he has one... many people do).

Also, as far as sins go, drunk driving is waaaay overrated. Kicking a man in the nuts is never justified.

guids 07-16-2007 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shame, shame, and more shame. That's how you get him to stop this. Better yet, shame him about his drinking problem (just a guess that he has one... many people do).

Also, as far as sins go, drunk driving is waaaay overrated. Kicking a man in the nuts is never justified.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got drunk, hit 2 parked cars at 4am, put my head through a windshield. I wish someone would have kicked me in the nuts before hand.

BigTimboKing 07-16-2007 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I got drunk, hit 2 parked cars at 4am, put my head through a windshield. I wish someone would have kicked me in the nuts before hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

stop being so results oriented

LetItBe 07-16-2007 08:16 PM

Call police next time he does. No excuse for it. CO has a number you can call if you are on the road and suspect someone is driving drunk.

Blarg 07-16-2007 08:19 PM

Eh, those parked cars probably had it comin'

Caldarooni 07-16-2007 08:26 PM

A DUI usually clears this problem right up.

El Diablo 07-16-2007 08:29 PM

wacki,

It won't make any difference, but you could do some reaction time test games online w/ him sober and drunk to see how much he's affected.

tuq 07-16-2007 08:32 PM

wacki,

WHERE ARE THE BLACK PEOPLE?!?!?!

Also, "drunk" is a VERY subjective term that is defined quite differently contingent upon your lobby. Does he appear impaired when he drives? High tolerance for alcohol = less impairment than the average person.

AJackson 07-16-2007 08:35 PM

tell him next time he drives drunk you'll call the cops. If he does it again, do it.

Most likely, you're likely going to lose a friend one way or the other. I'd rather lose the friendship doing the right thing than live with knowing I didn't do everything I could in case something terrible happens.

Bad Beat Maker 07-16-2007 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol @ comparing this to driving drunk

Sponger. 07-16-2007 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol @ comparing this to driving drunk

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did he do this?

Bad Beat Maker 07-16-2007 08:45 PM

What is this thread about?

Caldarooni 07-16-2007 08:46 PM

Unless you are a member of MADD, calling the cops on him seems like an extreme dbag move.

psuasskicker 07-16-2007 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Driving drunk is one of the scariest feelings in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

There's a lot of really stupid advice in this thread. A close friend of mine lost a relative thanks to some f***ing idiot that thought he was fine drinking and driving.

Any obligation you have is as much to everyone else as it is to your friend. Get him a DUI and see if that helps clear his mind up a bit.

- C -

wacki 07-16-2007 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call police next time he does. No excuse for it. CO has a number you can call if you are on the road and suspect someone is driving drunk.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I call the police on him he would lose his job which pays pretty well. As much as I want to get him to stop I'm not going to go that route.

psuasskicker 07-16-2007 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I call the police on him he would lose his job which pays pretty well. Not going to go that route.

[/ QUOTE ]

Threaten him with it at least. It's not just his life he's taking in his drunk hands on that road, and losing a job is a small price to pay if he's not willing to stop putting people at risk.

- C -

wacki 07-16-2007 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wacki,

It won't make any difference, but you could do some reaction time test games online w/ him sober and drunk to see how much he's affected.

[/ QUOTE ]

El Diablo thanks for responding. Anyone have any favorites?

First google search:

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&amp...amp;btnG=Search

Plenty of possibilities. They really need a video game for this kind of stuff.

tuq 07-16-2007 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Get him a DUI and see if that helps clear his mind up a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]
Terrible advice. Drunk drivers seem to have the highest rate of recidivism of any group except child molesters. The few that I know that have one usually have another, i.e. they don't learn. Meanwhile he's out thousands of dollars in legal fees and penalties, probably some jail time, and his credit, insurance, and background checks are all wrecked for a long period of time. That doesn't "learn" anyone, it just makes their situation even less tenable.

I honestly don't have a better solution right off of the top of my head aside from brute force/intervention or his own will to change, but ratting him out only benefits lawyers and insurance companies.

miajag 07-16-2007 09:02 PM

I doubt the recidivism rate is as high as the rate for people who constantly drunk drive and get away with it.

FWIW, I personally know several people who have been "scared straight" by a DUI or minor accident while under the influence.

I understand the point you're trying to make, tuq, I just disagree with your logic.

Blarg 07-16-2007 09:02 PM

You remember that game "Simon" where you have to hit one of four colored pads that sounds a tone, and each pad has a separate tone? Then the game adds one more tone/light combo, and another, and pretty soon it gets really hard?

Don't know how persuasive anything like this would be, but it would definitely make clear how effed up you are. That game is pretty hard to do sober. There's gotta be an online version, too.

bisonbison 07-16-2007 09:05 PM

Keister his keys.

4_2_it 07-16-2007 09:15 PM

How often does this happen? Why not convince him to cab it home from the bars?

tuq 07-16-2007 09:21 PM

mia,

I may not have explained it perfectly, but IMO getting the guy busted is far from the optimal solution. There is no easy solution to this, I just think that's far from the best one.

And it's been repeated now, wacki, how often is this a problem and how clearly is he inebriated? I know and get annoyed by the teetotalers in our circle who wig out when anyone has a few drinks and attempts to take to the road. Christ I'm a professional drinker who is also a big guy. I could probably drink 3-4X as much as the average lean chick before I become a liability.

Bad Beat Maker 07-16-2007 09:25 PM

Maybe he is suicidal.

Reup Gang 07-16-2007 09:25 PM

the real question: why is this guy your friend?

Aloysius 07-16-2007 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt the recidivism rate is as high as the rate for people who constantly drunk drive and get away with it.

FWIW, I personally know several people who have been "scared straight" by a DUI or minor accident while under the influence.

I understand the point you're trying to make, tuq, I just disagree with your logic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sure I read somewhere that recidivism rates due to stricter DUI penalties (i.e. 1 year license suspension) has dropped for those actually arrested, so what you're saying makes sense Mia... but I bet there are still a ton of arrested, repeat offenders so I think tuq's point stands.

Also, if you drink alot, not particularly hard to blow a .08 BAC. For most that doesn't qualify as drunk driving I guess but it is the law currently in place.

-Al

Cornell Fiji 07-16-2007 09:41 PM

Waki,

We need more info.

How old is he?
Where does he usually drink? (bars? parties? in the city? in the suburbs?)
When does he usually drink? (every night? once a weekend?)
Who does he usually drink with?
Do you two live close?
How drunk is he driving? (a couple beers or [censored] canned?)
How far is he driving?

If you are with him when he drinks at a bar then there is no excuse. Find a designated driver or take a cab. Do you go out with a big group of people? Are you normally driving drunk yourself but not as drunk as him? Does the bar you go to have a DD program?

If he drinks at someones home then you should find a way to carpool with someone who won't be drinking or just take his keys when he is drinking.

You are likely to run into trouble from him if everyone is drinking at a BBQ or something and then everyone leaves but you demand his keys. He will see this as you giving him a hard time.

Calling the cops on your friend is stupid. To the person who asked "why is he your friend?" comeon, lets not be idiots here.

I have more suggestions but need more info first.

XXXNoahXXX 07-16-2007 09:43 PM

four years ago, three kids my age were killed in a drunk driving incident. everyone was devastated. a month later, everyone was back to driving drunk.

two years ago my the older brother of my brother's friend died drunk driving. six months later his little brother got arrested when he got drunk and hit a telephone pole in his car.

some people are stupid. hopefully he hits a tree and not a family.