Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Ask me about Starbucks (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=465760)

ClassicBob 07-31-2007 04:55 PM

Ask me about Starbucks

I've been working there for over a year, and know most of the ins and outs of daily operations. I won't admit to knowing a lot of corporate stuff, but I can probably knock out a few of them.

I know of at least one other person on this board who works/worked at a Starbucks, so if he wants to chime in, he can feel free.

So, shoot.

http://carryonamerica.com/photosforblog/starbucks.jpg

XXXNoahXXX 07-31-2007 04:56 PM

Re: Ask me about Starbucks

Are the benefits really that good?

DING-DONG YO 07-31-2007 04:56 PM

so are you a true corporate insider or just some dude that puts fresh scones out every morning?

mason55 07-31-2007 04:59 PM

bring back the naked mermaid logo plz

btmagnetw 07-31-2007 05:00 PM

what's the question you're waiting for someone to ask, since it would be inane to start this kind of thread without some sort of burning secret in mind?

XXXNoahXXX 07-31-2007 05:00 PM

do you think less of men that order really fancy drinks?

traz 07-31-2007 05:01 PM

If you were a girl, and I was an unattractive lonely male...what should I order to seem attractive and what pick up lines could I use?

XXXNoahXXX 07-31-2007 05:04 PM

Ask Me threads should be rapid fire...It's been almost ten minutes. You better be compiling answers or you wont need to ask where your title is....*

punkass 07-31-2007 05:04 PM

how the hell do you pronounce dulce de leche? I've heard it said like 4 difference ways by employees.

terp 07-31-2007 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you were a girl, and I was an unattractive lonely male...what should I order to seem attractive and what pick up lines could I use?

[/ QUOTE ]

i hope you're not serious

offTopic 07-31-2007 05:06 PM

Is there some kind of penalty if, say, your manager hears you take an order for a "medium" and you don't ask if they mean "grande"?

Why don't you put soy milk out for free like Peet's?

guids 07-31-2007 05:06 PM

do ever make fun of people because they are spending 100 times more than they should for a cup of coffee?

Death Valley 07-31-2007 05:07 PM

Im a big Starbucks fan. So here are a few questions.
How in the world does a company that sells scones/muffins for $2-3 run out of them are they crazy?
How does a company that sells Iced coffee drinks for $2-6 run out of venti cups? Are they crazy

Did you know that anything you get/can steal from SBUX can be sold on eBay for a lot of money?
Ive mad a ton selling old starbucks cards, bears city mugs. you can sell your aprons (black go for more) ugly hats, those dumb pins, syrups, frap mixes....even the rolls of stickers that go on coffee bags just about anything.

My best scores...
statue of liberty bears (I think only sold in NY) bot 6 for $15 each sold over 3 days for 30-40, rinsed and repeated till I bot the entire stock from 5 starbucks in manhattan.
Huge version (2 gallon) of NY "city mug" bot for $50 sold for 110-160 3 times
Old starbucks cards (unused) paid "nothing" sold some for over $75.. have sold over $1000 worth of cards I never paid a penny for

ClassicBob 07-31-2007 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so are you a true corporate insider or just some dude that puts fresh scones out every morning?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I'm definitely the 2nd guy. I make no claims of huge secrets, this could end up being a really [censored] thread, but I was bored. I'm going to put my best effort into it, though.

RacersEdge 07-31-2007 05:07 PM

Are you coached to do any upselling?

What % of customers are female?

What's the biggest/dumbest issue you ever had with a customer complaining about something?

ClassicBob 07-31-2007 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty solid benefits, especially for a part time job. I've got medical, dental, and visual, and I'm involved in a discounted stock buying program. There are stock options available for longer-term employees, as well as 401k retirement plans. It's a hell of a lot better than any comparable job.

ClassicBob 07-31-2007 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what's the question you're waiting for someone to ask, since it would be inane to start this kind of thread without some sort of burning secret in mind?

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

Was this necessary. I'm boned.

Death Valley 07-31-2007 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do ever make fun of people because they are spending 100 times more than they should for a cup of coffee?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think coffee should cost under $.03 a cup or are you trying to make a point by misrepresenting the facts?

ClassicBob 07-31-2007 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do you think less of men that order really fancy drinks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. I also find (already attractive) women more attractive if they order regular coffee or espresso, as opposed to some latte modified to the Nth degree.

JuntMonkey 07-31-2007 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty solid benefits, especially for a part time job. I've got medical, dental, and visual, and I'm involved in a discounted stock buying program. There are stock options available for longer-term employees, as well as 401k retirement plans. It's a hell of a lot better than any comparable job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did the benefits for part-time start right away, after a month, a year?

ClassicBob 07-31-2007 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please try "Thanks a Latte". Also, have someone record the incident. Then post it on 2p2. Thx.

daryn 07-31-2007 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how the hell do you pronounce dulce de leche? I've heard it said like 4 difference ways by employees.

[/ QUOTE ]

how could it be anything but

doolsay day laychay

traz 07-31-2007 05:12 PM

When I worked at starbucks, alot of people said dulchay de lesh, or some combination of that and what it's supposed to be.

I also got dulce de lychee and all sorts of pronunciations, but yours is correct

ClassicBob 07-31-2007 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Proper way is "DOOL-SAY DAY LAY-CHAY", I think. I tend to say it this way, but I'll slip and say "DOL-CHAY" occasionally. Having the Cinnamon Dolce Latte (pronounced "DOL-CHAY") makes this confusing.

guids 07-31-2007 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think coffee should cost under $.03 a cup or are you trying to make a point by misrepresenting the facts?

[/ QUOTE ]

folgers coffee, a container costing 13$ makes an average of 320 to 360 6 oz cups of coffee, according to google products. Im sorry, it costs .0361 cents per cup. my bad, douche.

kidcolin 07-31-2007 05:14 PM

Do managers just not care how much their employees charge? I don't go often, but when I do I get a grande triple toffee nut mocha. I think it's supposed to be $4.25. I've seen prices all over the damn place.

ClassicBob 07-31-2007 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there some kind of penalty if, say, your manager hears you take an order for a "medium" and you don't ask if they mean "grande"?

Why don't you put soy milk out for free like Peet's?

[/ QUOTE ]

1) No. If someone says medium, it's definitely acceptable, I'll probably say "medium (X)" back to them as order confirmation if they seem really confused, and then when I call the drink to the bar, it'll be called as "Grande (X)"

2) Don't know why, more expensive, and we're stingy? We'll give you cold soy for your coffee if you ask, at no charge. If you ask us to steam it for you, we are supposed to charge, but often don't.

Death Valley 07-31-2007 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

folgers coffee, a container costing 13$ makes an average of 320 to 360 6 oz cups of coffee, according to google products. Im sorry, it costs .0361 cents per cup. my bad, douche.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct and and if you follow the same formula and buy a bag of coffee from Starbucks, bring it home and brew it, it wont cost more than $.10 a cup touche douche

and a 6 oz. cup at sbucks is under $2

ClassicBob 07-31-2007 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me where to find 2 cent coffee, and I'm there.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

kutuz_off 07-31-2007 05:19 PM

Sometimes SBUX sells random awesomely delicious cakes, cookies, pastries, etc. And then they disappear from the menu never to be seen again. WTF?

Death Valley 07-31-2007 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes SBUX sells random awesomely delicious cakes, cookies, pastries, etc. And then they disappear from the menu never to be seen again. WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mmmmmmm cinnamon scone

guids 07-31-2007 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me where to find 2 cent coffee, and I'm there.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

srsly, sams club.

I dont drink a lot of coffee though and have never been in a starbucks, maybe starbucks is 100 times better than folgers, so I maybe wrong.

to the douche that says "what about the people who take home coffee" it was CLEAR I wasnt talking about them, and neither were you until you got proven wrong, so gfy.

ClassicBob 07-31-2007 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im a big Starbucks fan. So here are a few questions.
How in the world does a company that sells scones/muffins for $2-3 run out of them are they crazy?
How does a company that sells Iced coffee drinks for $2-6 run out of venti cups? Are they crazy

Did you know that anything you get/can steal from SBUX can be sold on eBay for a lot of money?
Ive mad a ton selling old starbucks cards, bears city mugs. you can sell your aprons (black go for more) ugly hats, those dumb pins, syrups, frap mixes....even the rolls of stickers that go on coffee bags just about anything.

My best scores...
statue of liberty bears (I think only sold in NY) bot 6 for $15 each sold over 3 days for 30-40, rinsed and repeated till I bot the entire stock from 5 starbucks in manhattan.
Huge version (2 gallon) of NY "city mug" bot for $50 sold for 110-160 3 times
Old starbucks cards (unused) paid "nothing" sold some for over $75.. have sold over $1000 worth of cards I never paid a penny for

[/ QUOTE ]

Scones/Muffins - We order a certain amount of pastries per day, generally based on demand. Just because you want your scone everyday, doesn't mean that we're going to sell 20 scones. If you show up late, there is a chance we might be sold out that day. There are also plenty of days where we have plenty of breakfast pastries go unsold.

Running out of cups - Should obviously never happen, if it does, it's due to bad management/inventory counts.

ebay - Did you know that ANYTHING can be sold on ebay for lots of money??????

guids 07-31-2007 05:22 PM

What is your favorite drink item?

AquaSwing 07-31-2007 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how could it be anything but

doolsay day laychay

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct, or close enough.

This coming from the ex-wife of one of the inventors of the flavor.

El Diablo 07-31-2007 05:25 PM

quids,

You are using "a can of Folgers costs this much" as part of an argument about why coffee in a shop is overpriced?

Man, I wonder how you would react to a five dollar milkshake!

ClassicBob 07-31-2007 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you coached to do any upselling?

What % of customers are female?

What's the biggest/dumbest issue you ever had with a customer complaining about something?

[/ QUOTE ]

We're asked to push pastries, and during certain promotional periods, we are asked to push whole bean sales, brewing equipment, etc.

Roughly 50/50 on gender, as far as I can tell.

Never have a huge problem with people complaining, it's not too hard to remake a drink. I remember some woman who refused to tell me her drink order all at the same time, she insisted on knocking out each modifier slowly, as I was making the drink. After I finished making her Ice Venti Caramel Macchiato with XXX-Caramel and whip cream in the bottom, middle, and top of the drink, she asked if I had used non-fat milk. Bitch.

El Diablo 07-31-2007 05:25 PM

Aqua,

"This coming from the ex-wife of one of the inventors of the flavor."

WHAT THE F?

ClassicBob 07-31-2007 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did the benefits for part-time start right away, after a month, a year?

[/ QUOTE ]

Insurance Benefits kick in after three months. Some of the other stuff starts at 6, some at a year.

El Diablo 07-31-2007 05:26 PM

CB,

Have you banged any co-worker chicks?