Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Business, Finance, and Investing (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   becoming a market wizard (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=503052)

nastynatedub 09-17-2007 01:58 PM

becoming a market wizard

what is some good advice to a 20 year old kid who is looking to become a master of the markets?

ActionTodd 09-17-2007 02:34 PM

Re: becoming a market wizard

1. read, read, and read everything that has to do with the mkt
2. mock portfolio
3. start a small portfolio

X. take the Series 7 course

nastynatedub 09-17-2007 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2. mock portfolio

[/ QUOTE ]

i've seen the recommended books in the FAQ, i will read all that i can.

what exactly is a mock portfolio?...is that the same as paper trading?

as far as starting a small portfolio....how small is too small?. (i'm broke, what is the absolute minimum i should start investing with) (assuming i have a fair ammount of knowledge about what i'm doing)

as far as the series 7, i thought you had to be employed by a brokerage firm to train for it and take it. please explain how i can take that course as an individual investor.

ActionTodd 09-17-2007 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
2. mock portfolio

[/ QUOTE ]

as far as starting a small portfolio....how small is too small?. (i'm broke, what is the absolute minimum i should start investing with) (assuming i have a fair ammount of knowledge about what i'm doing)

as far as the series 7, i thought you had to be employed by a brokerage firm to train for it and take it. please explain how i can take that course as an individual investor.

[/ QUOTE ]mock portfolio and paper trading is the same thing I guess.

how broke is broke?

get Series 7 Books

nastynatedub 09-17-2007 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
2. mock portfolio

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]mock portfolio and paper trading is the same thing I guess.

how broke is broke?

get Series 7 Books

[/ QUOTE ]

broke enough to keep me out of the markets for right now..but not broke enough to keep me from saving up to invest, i just want to know a good goal dollar ammount to know when i ll be able to invest...

if i get series 7 books, study , how do i take the test, is it something that happens every once in a while....do i contact the state...?!?!?!?...how do i take the exam.

ActionTodd 09-17-2007 03:38 PM

well it's like prep work
gaining the knowledge for the future
when you actually gain employment with a brokerage firm

knowledge is power
cash is king

too broke to stay out of the mkts then you
should start like a high rate saving a/c

a HRS a/c is a good start I think

pr0crast 09-17-2007 03:55 PM

[censored] reading, make contacts and find mentors. the [censored] you learn in books is the conventinoal [censored] that everybody already knows. just reading a bunch of books and then paper trading is a surefire path to mediocrity, not market wizardry.

Isura 09-17-2007 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[censored] reading, make contacts and find mentors. the [censored] you learn in books is the conventinoal [censored] that everybody already knows. just reading a bunch of books and then paper trading is a surefire path to mediocrity, not market wizardry.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could say the same about poker. Could one not learn some fundamentals from books and then develop their own approach?

pig4bill 09-17-2007 05:27 PM

What's he going to get out of a Series 7? That sounds like more of an impediment than a help.

edit: to answer the OP a bit, most online brokerages have a minimum of $1000 to $2000 so you should check around and consider that minimum to be your initial savings target.

PRE 09-17-2007 06:37 PM

Read, read, read......

and read.