Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Which poker city is the best? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=492457)

Tyler13jack 09-03-2007 04:52 AM

Which poker city is the best?

After 5 years of playing semi-professionally live and online, I've decided to move to a city near enough to a cardroom that I can play full time. My question to all of you is if you could pick up and move to a city with a cardroom within 30 minutes to an hour at the furthest away where do you choose? Vegas? Mississippi? Florida? Atlantic City?
Keep in mind i'm a 25 year old guy so a city with nightlife and not just a hole like ...Lake Charles Louisiana or Biloxi

Photoc 09-03-2007 11:59 AM

Re: Which poker city is the best?

Vegas? maybe
Miss? no
FLorida? hell no for the games
AC? hell no for the area (maybe 30-60 minutes away)

Go with a suburb of LA for the best game selection and most games available.

FiveFingerz 09-03-2007 12:09 PM

vegas period.

BigBluffer 09-03-2007 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After 5 years of playing semi-professionally live and online, I've decided to move to a city near enough to a cardroom that I can play full time. My question to all of you is if you could pick up and move to a city with a cardroom within 30 minutes to an hour at the furthest away where do you choose? Vegas? Mississippi? Florida? Atlantic City?
Keep in mind i'm a 25 year old guy so a city with nightlife and not just a hole like ...Lake Charles Louisiana or Biloxi

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL @ Florida

otter 09-03-2007 01:31 PM

Vegas or Cali.I've been considering a move to Lake Tahoe for a while, but I don't think they have enough action.

Bellagibro 09-03-2007 01:34 PM

I'd choose LA if you want to live a semi "normal" kind of life without everybody trying to hustle you. I find the locals in Vegas to be a very different type of people.

Howard Beale 09-03-2007 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd choose LA if you want to live a semi "normal" kind of life without everybody trying to hustle you. I find the locals in Vegas to be a very different type of people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phoenix is another choice. There are tons of young folks here and nice places to live at reasonable prices. The poker is pretty much limited to 1 room but it's good for the mid-limits and you can go to either LA or LV in an hour. Otherwise, I'd pick LA for the best action and game selection anywhere.

Rottersod 09-03-2007 01:53 PM

LA. You'll have great card room to choose from and when you win you won't be tempted to blow it in the pits. Nightlife? LA Baby.

Rick Nebiolo 09-03-2007 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nightlife? LA Baby.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe this belongs in OOT or the EL D forum but I find most of LA goes to bed real early and if they leave the cardroom late (let's say 11:00 pm) there aren't many places to go.

What am I missing?

~ Rick

PS Keep in mind in 53 and live close to the Orange Curtain [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Russ Fox 09-03-2007 03:10 PM

The poker is best in L.A., but you will have to weigh:
- Cost of living. L.A. is expensive. 1 BR apartments where I live start at $1500/month (I'm in a nice area of Orange County)
- Driving. You will be driving 30 minutes to an hour to get anywhere.
- Taxes. You will pay 9.3% state income tax here.

Of course, there are plenty of other things to do (jobs, nightlife, etc.) here, but you may find Las Vegas or Phoenix to be a better place to live.

-- Russ Fox