Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Student Life (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Ask Noah About First Year of Law School, Getting inTop 10%, Law Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=447574)

XXXNoahXXX 07-10-2007 05:07 PM

Re: Ask Noah About First Year of Law School, Getting inTop 10%, Law Re

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have any specific test taking strategies?
Methods you used for issue extraction and answering questions? Formatting your answer?

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of the courses/books follow the IRAC (issue, rule, analysis, conclusion) format which is decent.

I think its professor-specific, and don't worry there will be plenty of gunners asking "should we cite cases" "should we cite rules", etc.

Also, most all professors have sample exams and model answers on file that you can look at.

This is far and away the most important part of studying.

Take every available practice test, then discuss answers with study group, then look to model answer.

I find the most important thing is time management and mentioning the smaller things.

When it comes to tests it will be

C through B- : missed big issues

b through B+ : got all the big issues

A- : big issues and smaller issues

A : wrote something that the professor hadn't thought of, or basically nail all the major and minor points.

Some professors have an actual checklist of things that they are looking for and it is a straight add em up numbers game

So, for example,

Theres a question and their checklist will be

A) ____ (10 pts)
A1)____ (3 pts.)
A2)____ (3 pts.)

B)_____(15 pts.)

and they literally go right down the list.

when taking a test always have the professor in mind. for some profs, dropping random cases and names that touch on the subject = stop being fancy while for others, they eat it up.

Time yourself on practice tests just like you did for the LSAT, and keep in mind the personality of the professor.

eviljeff 07-10-2007 05:09 PM

Re: Ask Noah About First Year of Law School, Getting inTop 10%, Law Review

[ QUOTE ]
Top 10% grades at a Top 20-30 school.

[/ QUOTE ]
Still TTT. <font color="white">jk, grats</font>

XXXNoahXXX 07-10-2007 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Top 10% grades at a Top 20-30 school.

[/ QUOTE ]
Still TTT. <font color="white">jk, grats</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. you must go to xoxo/autoadmit a lot. Apparently anything less than Yale &gt;&gt;&gt;US Supreme Court Clerkship &gt;&gt;&gt; Wachtell is TTT.

nickg1532 07-10-2007 05:30 PM

what does TTT mean?

XXXNoahXXX 07-10-2007 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what does TTT mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

third tier. its a derogatory way of referring to a non-elite school.

according to USNEWS Rankings there are Top 100, Tier 2, etc.

However, there are lots of law school snobs (no suprise) that refer to anything below like the top ten as TTT.

Salerosa 07-10-2007 06:07 PM

How many schools did you apply to? Care to share where you are currently going and which schools you passed up (understandable if you'd rather not)?

lennytheduck 07-10-2007 07:50 PM

AZK needs to do one of these threads for med school.

XXXNoahXXX 07-10-2007 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How many schools did you apply to? Care to share where you are currently going and which schools you passed up (understandable if you'd rather not)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've talked about it before a bit.

I go to a school ranked 20-30 by US News and World Reports.

I had a 3.5 undergrad at a decent school and 172. Good extracurriculars and recommendations.

I got into a couple T14 schools including Georgetown and Columbia. I turned them down which probably makes me a retard in the eyes of most people. Common sense says go to the highest ranked school you get in to.

Temple with $$$$$$
Notre Dame with $$$$
William and Mary with $$$$
Duke.
BC with $$$.
BU with $$$.
Fordham with $$.
Etc.

Waitlisted at Harvard/NYU/Chicago.

Rejected by Yale/Stanford/Northwestern (NW asks if you want interview, I said no since I only applied there because i got a fee waiver).

When it comes to making a decision, for most people if you get in T14, take it. If dealing with lower level schools, go to the best school in the city where you want to practice. Factor in money as appropriate.

I decided to take the $100k less in loans and skip Columbia/G-town because I knew I likely wanted to be here, I don't have any hopes of being at some super-elite firm or academia, and I knew that I would be able to get top of the class and be competitive for law review, bigfirm jobs, etc. In addition, I live with my girlfriend, my family lives in the city, and I love it here. Including cost of living, expenses, and interest, I probably will end of having saved myself $150k by going to school here.

XXXNoahXXX 07-10-2007 09:01 PM

Feel free to keep the questions coming. Make them as detailed or random or dumb as you like. As long as it doesn't involve anything too out of line, I'll give answers.

eviljeff 07-10-2007 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what does TTT mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

third tier toilet. its an abreviated way of reminding people where they stand in life.

[/ QUOTE ]