Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Are these sports? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=400136)

Chrisman886 05-10-2007 06:10 PM

Are these sports?

I searched the forums and didn't find anything like this. I'm curious what the general consensus is around here if any of the following are sports. What is your definition of a sport?

PokerFink 05-10-2007 06:16 PM

Re: Are these sports?

Auto Racing - No. IMO auto racing is an entirely seperate category; not a game, not a sport.

Billiards - No, it's a game
Baseball - Yes, duh.
Curling - Yes, but it's close and could be considered a game
Golf - Yes, but somewhat borderline
Bowling - Yes, but it's close and could be considered a game
Darts - No, game
Poker - No, game
Chess - No, game

Mr biggums 05-10-2007 06:50 PM

Baseball and Golf are the only sports on there

SL__72 05-10-2007 06:53 PM

I voted yes to Auto Racing, Baseball, Curling, Golf and Bowling.

prohornblower 05-10-2007 06:56 PM

I picked auto racing, baseball, golf, and bowling.

I'm not even going to comment on curling.

Magra 05-10-2007 06:57 PM

Why is auto racing considered a sport? I've never understood this...

Assani Fisher 05-10-2007 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]How is golf any more of a sport than bowling, darts, billards, etc?

kutuz_off 05-10-2007 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]How is golf any more of a sport than bowling, darts, billards, etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

Level of physical fitness required to perform at a high level? I voted the same as this post's grandparent.

snowden719 05-10-2007 07:10 PM

I voted yes on billiards and no on bowling because both take physical skill, and there's a dynamic element to billiards that there isn't to bowling so I put bowling out and billiards in. Golf is close in that it's not that dynamic either, but more than bowling is,so it's the last one in for sport. Note that I don't think lots of things others considr sports like 100m dash to be sports because of this definition, nor do I consider push up contests to be sports.

Taraz 05-10-2007 07:13 PM

Can anyone make a definition of "sport" to back up their claim?

I am a little bit partial to the definition that requires defense to be played, but that would discount track and field events.

kutuz_off 05-10-2007 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"I know it when I see it"

Isura 05-10-2007 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rubeskies 05-10-2007 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ralph Wiggum 05-10-2007 07:44 PM

You don't have an option for "No to all of them".

bernie 05-10-2007 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I picked auto racing, baseball, golf, and bowling.

I'm not even going to comment on curling.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you pick bowling but not curling?

b

SuperUberBob 05-10-2007 07:54 PM

Auto racing, baseball, curling, bowling and golf

duracell 05-10-2007 08:01 PM

I picked just baseball. I am pretty strict on what I classify as a sport, and most people disagree with my definition.

I think that a sport needs to be an athletic competition in which two teams or individuals directly affect one another in a the competition. This would not include races or golf, although golf is borderline because players can have a mental effect on one another. I guess in auto-racing drivers have a direct effect on one another, but I don't really think it's an athletic competition.

Examples of Sports
Football
Soccer
Basketball
Baseball
Tennis
Volleyball
Hockey

Non-Sports (Athletic Competitions)
Golf
Track and Field
Gymnastics

Games
Poker
Chess
Darts

gusmahler 05-10-2007 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess in auto-racing drivers have a direct effect on one another,

[/ QUOTE ]

Just slightly

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8ZgeCSJUJlk

gusmahler 05-10-2007 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it takes a large amount of hand-eye coordination, fast reflexes, and the ability to endure high g-forces for long races.

duracell 05-10-2007 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I guess in auto-racing drivers have a direct effect on one another,

[/ QUOTE ]

Just slightly

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8ZgeCSJUJlk

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't mean to word that like it was even questionable, but it seems I did. I just think that despite that, it's still not a sport.

gusmahler 05-10-2007 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I voted yes on billiards and no on bowling because both take physical skill, and there's a dynamic element to billiards that there isn't to bowling so I put bowling out and billiards in. Golf is close in that it's not that dynamic either, but more than bowling is,so it's the last one in for sport.

[/ QUOTE ]

By dynamic, I assume you mean that the playing field is constantly changing? Then you had to have said yes to curling, correct?

As for bowling not being dynamic, at the pro level (which is I assume what we are talking about), the pros are constantly changing their targets throughout the match because of the way the oil pattern is changing. You likely won't notice it on TV because it happens gradually. But you will notice it if you compare the line a bowler takes in the first frame of the first game to the last frame he bowls on the teleacst, 3-4 games later.

SirArthur 05-10-2007 08:19 PM

From dictionary.com

Sport

1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

*I'll never buy bowling or fishing as a sport, and golf is very borderline, and auto racing no chance.

Homer 05-10-2007 08:29 PM

This poll doesn't work very well because it doesn't show what percentage of people think each activity is a sport. There should be 11 polls, really (though ideally the forum software should suck less and show how many people voted in all).

MuresanForMVP 05-10-2007 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're SO controversial!!!

bernie 05-10-2007 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From dictionary.com

Sport

1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

*I'll never buy bowling or fishing as a sport, and golf is very borderline, and auto racing no chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot:

[ QUOTE ]
3. An active pastime; recreation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ralph Wiggum 05-10-2007 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
lol. Just commenting on his polling, not necessarily my opinion. I'm all for video games. You can't tell me the Wii doesn't work up a bigger sweat than golfing or baseball.

Killua 05-10-2007 09:18 PM

Golf is definetly a sport, it takes a lot of stamina to play 4 straight rounds of 18 holes, you rarely see people out of shape dominate, so most of the participants are in top shape.

Auto Racing is not a spot, but I would consider that most drivers are athletes...

VarlosZ 05-10-2007 09:19 PM

I'd define a sport as a competition in which some form of physical prowess is the most important thing being measured. So, "yes" to everything except Poker, Chess, and Video Games. Although, actually, the video game tournaments are really close by that definition, and Auto Racing is almost a "No."

MuresanForMVP 05-10-2007 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
lol. Just commenting on his polling, not necessarily my opinion. I'm all for video games. You can't tell me the Wii doesn't work up a bigger sweat than golfing or baseball.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not trying to sound like a dick but, you've never played baseball have you? Have you ever tried throwing just 20 pitches from a mound during the summer, or taking 10 consecutive groundballs? Running out a triple? I think you need to rethink your position on baseball.

kyro 05-10-2007 09:41 PM

I voted Baseball, Curling and Golf. Curling and Auto Racing are very borderline, and I could see it going either way.

I once had to write a definition paper. I picked "sport." I defined sport as

1) Judged objectively (gymnastics, ice skating out. I call these arts.)

2) Physical activity/endurance. This is why I think auto racing and curling are borderline. I'm not sure I could sit in a car for hours on end doing nothing but go in a circle. There is some endurance there. And with curling, there is physical activity with staying on your skates and whatnot. Really on the fence with these two.

Ralph Wiggum 05-10-2007 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not trying to sound like a dick but, you've never played baseball have you? Have you ever tried throwing just 20 pitches from a mound during the summer, or taking 10 consecutive groundballs? Running out a triple? I think you need to rethink your position on baseball.

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess you're trying to make baseball sound physically tough with your examples?

Yeah, I played baseball for like 6 years or so. Didn't pitch. 2nd base mostly (played catcher backup & center too a few times). Batted first. Turned the most double plays in the league. Good times. I guess we worked up a sweat, since I played during the spring & summer. It was hot outside, and uniforms are long sleeves. Baseball was pretty much field a couple balls, maybe get involved in one play per inning, then sitting on the bench for awhile, then stand & bat.

It wasn't really that hard to do. I played football, basketball & tennis too. Those were always a lot tougher on my body. I assume they weren't in the poll, b/c they're not really a debate.

I've never had to take 10 consecutive groundballs. I'd like to think, I be able to take 3 consecutive ones & throw to first, then I'd sit on the bench for 10 minutes while teammates were at bat. I ran out a few triples, I think I led the team in those, but am not 100% sure. But it was significantly less than 1 per game.

I could get off the couch after not having exercised in months & play baseball without worrying about fatigue. I can't say the same about tennis, basketball or football.

Finally, I never said baseball wasn't a sport. It is a useful measure for whether I consider another recreation a sport. I just made an off the cuff comparison to the Wii.

Cry Me A River 05-10-2007 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
with curling, there is physical activity with staying on your skates and whatnot

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm... No skates in curling.

esad 05-10-2007 10:14 PM

My definition of a sport is:

1. Requires a moderate level of athletic ability.

2. Has an objectively defined outcome.

Sports:
Golf
Curling
Bowling, etc..
Auto Racing

Non Sports:
Video Games
Figure Skating
Gymnastics
Poker
Competitive Eating
Chess..etc.

jstnrgrs 05-10-2007 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I am a little bit partial to the definition that requires defense to be played, but that would discount track and field events.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how everyone else does it, but I have 2 criteria to consider something a sport.

1. It must be athletic (that is it must involve substantial movement on the part of its participants).

2. It must be competetive (There must be winners and loosers. Also, the competition must be inherent to the event, so figure skating, and ballet competitions are out).

VarlosZ 05-10-2007 10:46 PM

Why does it matter for some people that the results are judged objectively? And doesn't that partially disqualify boxing as a sport?

kutuz_off 05-10-2007 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why does it matter for some people that the results are judged objectively? And doesn't that partially disqualify basketball as a sport?

[/ QUOTE ]

kyro 05-10-2007 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why does it matter for some people that the results are judged objectively? And doesn't that partially disqualify basketball as a sport?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A+ example. And by A+, I mean F-.

kyro 05-10-2007 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why does it matter for some people that the results are judged objectively? And doesn't that partially disqualify boxing as a sport?

[/ QUOTE ]

By my example, yes.

RacersEdge 05-10-2007 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sport = a game that requires physical skill to master.

That makes this list pretty easy to judge.

prohornblower 05-10-2007 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Putting your life on the line each contest at over 170 mph seems like it merits the "sport" tag. Also, there is more strategy than you might know.

For the record, I am not a fan of auto racing.

There is also strategy in billiards, but come on, it just isn't physical enough. And darts...virtually no strategy, and no physicality. Basically if you can teach a monkey to do an activity with relatively good ability, it is not a sport. And I think 16-pound bowling balls are too heavy for a monkey, thus, it is a sport.