Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   High Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Help With a 5-10 NL hand (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=114867)

ElGuapo23 05-16-2006 08:53 PM

Help With a 5-10 NL hand

This hand occurred in a 5-10 NL game the other day. It was a live game. I was hoping to get a little help on it.

5 handed.

Hero in small blind. Live straddle to $20.
Folded to hero who raises to $60 with TcTd from SB.
BB folds, UTG (straddle) calls. UTG is fairly new to the game, but appears to be fairly loose aggressive.

Flop: 3s 5s 8d

Hero bets $100. UTG raises to $225. Hero calls.

Turn: 2c

Hero bets $250. UTG raises all-in for $1000 more.

Hero?

Any help would be appreciated, whether or not I should call here, or whether I should have done something different in the hand.

Thanks.

BLdSWtTRs 05-16-2006 08:59 PM

Re: Help With a 5-10 NL hand

I would certainly not lay this down. He could have top pair, a draw, two pair a set. Against top pair you are 8 to 1 and against a drawing hand you will be 70 to 80%.

The fact that he straddled should make it more likely that you are far ahead of his range.

FoxwoodsFiend 05-16-2006 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This hand occurred in a 5-10 NL game the other day. It was a live game. I was hoping to get a little help on it.

5 handed.

Hero in small blind. Live straddle to $20.
Folded to hero who raises to $60 with TcTd from SB.
BB folds, UTG (straddle) calls. UTG is fairly new to the game, but appears to be fairly loose aggressive.

Flop: 3s 5s 8d

Hero bets $100. UTG raises to $225. Hero calls.

Turn: 2c

Hero bets $250. UTG raises all-in for $1000 more.

Hero?

Any help would be appreciated, whether or not I should call here, or whether I should have done something different in the hand.

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey,

Welcome to the forums. You have to raise more preflop. People always raise big in straddled hands to take down the extra money, and when you have a big hand you want to be able to make it look like a steal. I probably make it $100 preflop. As for the turn lead, it's so small relative to the pot that I think you open yourself up to a lot of bluffs so that might tilt it towards calling. Also, if you're going to just call the flop I prefer a check/raise on the turn in case your opponent's getting frisky with spades.

The way this action went down though, I imagine you're beat. Villain probably has a junk two pair or 46 or spades, but I doubt he's trying to bluff spades given that you've pretty clearly shown the strength of your hand IMO.

felson 05-16-2006 09:15 PM

great username. welcome to the forums!

on your hand, i would checkraise turn allin.

leafsrock 05-16-2006 10:36 PM

your turn bet looks really weak. u have to call now as he could easily be trying to raise u off of ur weak looking hand w/ a draw. my standard line would be to check-raise all-in on the turn.

Prevaricator 05-16-2006 10:48 PM

i would CR all in on the turn, although that lead is sort of deceptive. in this spot i def call.