Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Found "time pot" really annoying (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=362183)

betgo 03-23-2007 07:41 AM

Found \"time pot\" really annoying

Played the 20/40 limit holdem game at Borgata. They had something called a "time pot" where people agree that the time charge comes from the first two decent pots after the dealer change. I found this real annoying as it lead to tight play for several hands. Isn't it much easier to just pay the time charge?

Also, it got passed to me in the SB and the BB asked if I wanted to chop. I had a hand and said raise. BB kept going on and on about this. Other people at the table were saying what a jerk I was. I thought you had to agree ahead of time if you wanted to chop.

I found the customs at this game a little strange and everybody thought I was a noobie because I didn't understand them.

LasVegasMichael 03-23-2007 07:57 AM

Re: Found \"time pot\" really annoying

You don't have to agree ahead of time whether or not to chop, but chopping should never be based on your cards. Proper etiquette is that you either always chop or never chop, period.

Granted, some people find it rude/annoying when someone never chops, but they shouldn't, so long as they are consistent. However, some people choose to always chop, against their better and slightly more profitable judgement, just to keep the game more pleasant and lacking in unncessary tension that could adversely affect their EV in the long run of that session.

nineinchal 03-23-2007 09:04 AM

Re: Found \"time pot\" really annoying/CHOPPING SUCKS!

The time pot is a necessary evil for this game. The rent is $7/ half hr for this game. The dealer can take one or two minutes to get the time payments right. So to get in the extra hands it's worth it. I sat through fourteen hours of poker over the last two Saturdays in that game, and didn't get lucky on any of the first two hands of each round.I look at it as if I made $14hr for 14 hours.That is $196 bucks in my pocket, in the greatest game in town.

Chopping: I tell people, if I have a 7-deuce, I'll chop. If I have an ace, I ain't chopping, so proceed at your own peril. The way many of us from 2+2 play, they think I am douche bag anyway; so not chopping when I have an advantage is just another rationalization/validation of their own inadequacy for them of why they lose.

DrewOnTilt 03-23-2007 09:11 AM

OP: if you don't care for either time pots or chopping, don't do it. No one in that game will mind if you don't chop, or if you don't participate in the time pot. It's also pretty rare for the Borg 20 game to "tighten up" during a time pot.

[ QUOTE ]
Chopping: I tell people, if I have a 7-deuce, I'll chop. If I have an ace, I ain't chopping, so proceed at your own peril. The way many of us from 2+2 play, they think I a douche bag anyway; so not chopping when I have an advantage is just another rationalization/validation of why they lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the definition of douche-baggery, and it's also very discourteous.

Fish R Friends 03-23-2007 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but chopping should never be based on your cards. Proper etiquette is that you either always chop or never chop, period.

Granted, some people find it rude/annoying when someone never chops, but they shouldn't, so long as they are consistent.

[/ QUOTE ] I would agree. One exception, AA, WHEN the room is running Aces Cracked or has a Bad Beat Jackpot. I simply say, "I can't" or "Check it down." when the option comes to me.

nineinchal 03-23-2007 09:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Chopping: I tell people, if I have a 7-deuce, I'll chop. If I have an ace, I ain't chopping, so proceed at your own peril. The way many of us from 2+2 play, they think I a douche bag anyway; so not chopping when I have an advantage is just another rationalization/validation of why they lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the definition of douche-baggery, and it's also very discourteous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Douche-baggery is me!

betgo 03-23-2007 09:43 AM

I don't generally play limit holdem, so I didn't know it was standard to say chop and then chop regardless of your cards. I had played before low limit where it was not an issue, and in games where people would agree ahead of time to chop. Everyone thought I was a jerk, but I didn't know the convention.

afish 03-23-2007 09:51 AM

Here's a thread containing a long discussion about time pots in the 20-40 game, including my views that they are bad for the game.

You are wrong about chopping. Either you always chop or you never chop. There doesn't have to be a preexisting agreement. That said, I've never seen people bitch if a player doesn't want to chop.

ScottHoward3.0 03-23-2007 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Played the 20/40 limit holdem game at Borgata. They had something called a "time pot" where people agree that the time charge comes from the first two decent pots after the dealer change. I found this real annoying as it lead to tight play for several hands. Isn't it much easier to just pay the time charge?

Also, it got passed to me in the SB and the BB asked if I wanted to chop. I had a hand and said raise. BB kept going on and on about this. Other people at the table were saying what a jerk I was. I thought you had to agree ahead of time if you wanted to chop.

I found the customs at this game a little strange and everybody thought I was a noobie because I didn't understand them.

[/ QUOTE ]
Im guessing this post was a joke?

betgo 03-23-2007 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Im guessing this post was a joke?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, I don't usually play live limit holdem, so I wasn't aware of all this chopping etiquette and time pots.