Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   B&M $3/$6 25o blind defense vs maniac and calling station (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=345781)

BJK 03-03-2007 12:02 PM

B&M $3/$6 25o blind defense vs maniac and calling station

Villain is at cutoff. He's about 60/30, while the small blind is about 60/5. I've played over 20 sessions with both players, so I did have some excellent reads. I'd like to get some thoughts.

10 players.

Heros is in BB with 2c5h

Action folds to villain (cutoff) who raises. BB folds. SB calls. Hero calls.

Flop: 2h, 7h, 10d. (6 SB's)

SB checks. BB checks. Villain bets. SB calls. Hero calls.

Turn: 5d. (4.5 BB's)

SB checks. Hero checks. Villain bets. SB calls. Hero raises. Villain reraises. SB calls. Hero caps. Villain calls. SB calls.

River: 10c. (16.5 BB's)

SB checks. BB checks. Villain bets. SB folds. Hero calls.

Final pot: 18.5 BB's

kcmoore 03-04-2007 12:03 AM

Re: B&M $3/$6 25o blind defense vs maniac and calling station

fold on the river bet. probably has a set.

Hamlet 03-04-2007 12:19 AM

I think even against terrible opponents folding pre-flop is the best play. You're going to have to show down the best hand to win, and 52o is not going to make the best hand enough.

Otherwise, fine. I think calling with any pair on the river against the maniac is required.

Bob T. 03-04-2007 12:50 AM

Fold preflop. You know you are going to have to showdown the best hand, and your hand doesn't have much potential to make the best hand.

Allday Everyday 03-04-2007 01:17 AM

I would have folded preflop. I wonder if your call could be profitable against two bad players you know well. You're getting great imediate odds on your call, better than 6 to 1 and greater when you factor in the C/O's highly likely continuation bet, and further great implied odds against this maniac. Given their ranges, I reckon you'd be about 20% to have the best hand at SD here running hot and cold against these two guys.

I think the flop check-call is good.

If you can trust the C/O to bet the turn then I think the check-raise is good. I think your turn cap is good.

So on the river you appear to be beaten but the pot is paying 17.5 to 1 with noone behind to overcall. I think my decision to call would depend on exactly how maniacal this guy is. I would call with my 5s sometimes here against the right player. He could have two diamonds, a worse made hand, or something even less logical.

BigBadBabar 03-04-2007 01:23 AM

fold pf imo

BJK 03-04-2007 11:44 AM

The consensus here seems to be a fold preflop. I just have a hard time folding anything when this guy raises my big blind. The only reason I looked at my cards was to make sure I didn't have anything worth reraising. I would have folded something like 28o or 38o, but it's tough when my cards have any sort of coordination at all.

I also think I may have been swayed a little by the fact that there were three very good players sitting at this table, and none of them were in this pot.

Does anyone call to see the flop here if the hand is sooted?

All told, though, the biggest reason I posted this here was to see the consensus on whether or not I should have even called to see this flop. I've been having a bad run lately in blind defense spots, and I need to figure out if it's a hole.

The river call is pretty standard for me. I was 100% sure I was rivered, but I know I'm wrong a lot more than one in 17 times. I would have called with an unpaired A or K.

It turns out my opponent actually had the goods preflop (KK).

Thanks for the responses.

Hamlet 03-05-2007 12:58 PM

I would probably call if the hand was suited. It's marginal though. You're certainly not giving much up by folding. You're still playing showdown poker with 5 high.

If you play extremely well, it might be possible to not lose money calling with the 52s.

God himself could not come out ahead with the 52o IMO.

[ QUOTE ]

Does anyone call to see the flop here if the hand is sooted?

[/ QUOTE ]

Siegmund 03-05-2007 05:18 PM

I for one don't call even if this hand is suited.

Not sure I am following the logic that 52 is a better hand than 83 either.

Hamlet 03-05-2007 07:06 PM

Flop me the wheel baby [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
I for one don't call even if this hand is suited.

Not sure I am following the logic that 52 is a better hand than 83 either.

[/ QUOTE ]