Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Couple of quick questions (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=530518)

ShawnHoo 10-24-2007 06:31 PM

Couple of quick questions

Both hands are in a good live mid-stakes game in CA. Unless otherwise noted, let's assume that our average opponent is overly loose-passive.

Hand #1: A tight, poor post-flop playing regular raises UTG and is 3-bet right behind him by a way overly aggressive player. A bad player calls 3 in the SB. You have JTs in the BB and...?

Hand #2: One or two limpers, a raise from an aggressive bad player in MP, one cold-caller, and then the Button (passive preflop, bad post) 3-bets. You have 9h9s in the SB and...?

Let's say you call and everyone else calls, too. Flop is 7d6d2h. You are first to act and...?

private joker 10-24-2007 06:35 PM

Re: Couple of quick questions

[ QUOTE ]
Both hands are in a good live mid-stakes game in CA. Unless otherwise noted, let's assume that our average opponent is overly loose-passive.

Hand #1: A tight, poor post-flop playing regular raises UTG and is 3-bet right behind him by a way overly aggressive player. A bad player calls 3 in the SB. You have JTs in the BB and...?

[/ QUOTE ]

Laugh, cap it, and yell "GAMBOOOL!!!" <font color="white">Just kidding, I fold. </font>

[ QUOTE ]
Hand #2: One or two limpers, a raise from an aggressive bad player in MP, one cold-caller, and then the Button (passive preflop, bad post) 3-bets. You have 9h9s in the SB and...?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold and hate myself for being such a nit.

[ QUOTE ]
Let's say you call and everyone else calls, too. Flop is 7d6d2h. You are first to act and...?

[/ QUOTE ] Checkraise the button and hope hands like Ac3c fold their 3 outers for two bets cold.

bdaddy 10-24-2007 07:16 PM

#1...I would fold if I was running bad, and call if I was running good. Add another player/cold caller and I think it's easy call.

#2...I'd probably fold, maybe call in 2/3 structure.
IF call, check raise, and then see how many callers and if button 3 bets. IF button 3 bets and 2 people call our c/r I think we're done cuz we dont have the 9d

Entity 10-24-2007 08:04 PM

#1 I would fold and not really think that much about it.

#2 I'd call if it was 2 limpers but I think it's definitely close. I'd check and see on the flop, but I think it's pretty close to a check-fold if Button is really passive preflop.

Rob

HOWMANY 10-24-2007 08:07 PM

Fold 1, call 2 and not really like it. I wish you could fold but the pot is going to be a minimum of 5 ways so get in there and hope for the magic to happen. c/r flop seems like the best option at first but if the described button bets the flop our hand probably isn't even good so I have no idea. Betting into the field seems even worse than checking here. Check/calling seems really bad. Maybe the reason all the options seems so bad is that getting involved in this hand was a mistake in the first place but it seems bad to fold when the pot is going to be so big and multiway.

I'd call in hand 1 if there was one more player but as is I feel like we are obliterated by the range of the other three players and will pay too much when we spike a losing pair/miss completely to make up for when we make winning pairs, straights or flushes.

andyfox 10-24-2007 11:35 PM

First hand I fold. Mr. Aggressive is going to make it too expensive to draw to my draws.

Second hand I call preflop knowing passive button must have a bigger pocket pair. If I flop a set I could win a ton of chips. Tough spot on the flop. All three options have drawbacks. With a less preflop/passive button, I'd check-raise because he could have unimproved high cards; here it's more likely I'm going to get 3-bet. So I think I'd opt for check-calling and hoping, since I have a backdoor straight draw. Yes, the 9s are vulnerable to a turn overcard, but we're likely beat by a bigger pocket pair already.

Joe Tall 10-25-2007 12:51 AM

No questions at all: for hand#1, fold'em and hand#2 is calls-it, flop a set or check-raise protect and over pair.

Hobbs. 10-25-2007 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold and hate myself for being such a nit.

[/ QUOTE ]

with the limpers and cold caller we can almost play this purely for flopping a set

Michael Davis 10-25-2007 06:26 AM

Maybe get a napkin for the vomit but checkfolding the flop is almost always going to be wrong and checkcalling is going to be right even with an overpair.

-Michael

cgrohman 10-25-2007 09:32 AM

Hand #1: If UTG wasn't tight I'd play, but as is I fold.

Hand #2: I fold this as well. You are basically just playing for set value if you do.