Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   help OOT tipping experts.... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=557476)

mbillie1 11-29-2007 07:28 PM

help OOT tipping experts....

So... the owners of my company split time between the Albany area and another city. They got an apartment, and tomorrow are having furniture delivered there, but neither of them will be in town, so I (being the newest employee) got stuck with the task of going over there and letting the movers in.

HOWEVER, they didn't give me any cash to tip the movers. I forgot to ask, because I'm stupid. Neither of them will be in contact until Monday. FWIW they are having at least 3 beds, a full dining room set, a couch and an ottoman delivered... lots of stuff.

So what's my play? Tip in advance and say something like "I assumed you want me to tip them, so just so you know, it was $X" or whatever? Email them and hope they get the message in time? If I go it on my own, how much to tip considering the volume of items?

Sorry for yet another tipping thread... this is just a peculiar situation for me

XXXNoahXXX 11-29-2007 07:37 PM

Re: help OOT tipping experts....

tell them to move a bed in first and then sleep on it til they leave.

istewart 11-29-2007 07:40 PM

Jesus [censored] Christ, wtf are you doing

DarkForceRising 11-29-2007 07:41 PM

You could just make them some nice sandwiches or something.

mbillie1 11-29-2007 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.soadfans.com/modules/My_e...DRUGS/bong.jpg

qdmcg 11-29-2007 08:00 PM

i rarely tip movers unless they do an exceptional job

mbillie1 11-29-2007 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://blog.kevinmeltzer.com/archives/handsfree2.jpg

http://clapso.files.wordpress.com/20...reillymad3.jpg

http://www.ihatebryanboy.com/bryanbo...2406_black.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/1/553...abf50e9f_o.jpg

mbillie1 11-29-2007 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
tell them to move a bed in first and then sleep on it til they leave.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could just buy some beers and then offer them some I guess

bwana devil 11-29-2007 08:25 PM

This

may

have

been

discussed

already.

mbillie1 11-29-2007 08:28 PM

It isn't the tipping of movers I'm concerned with... it's the boss etiquette situation

XXXNoahXXX 11-29-2007 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It isn't the tipping of movers I'm concerned with... it's the boss etiquette situation

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh here's a thread dealing with tipping with boss' money from just a few weeks ago!

OH WAIT YOU WERE THE OP IN THAT ONE TOO!

i know you're on some secret bb4l mission, but stop it.

mbillie1 11-29-2007 08:34 PM

Yeah but this time they didn't give me any money, see it's a totally different situation and hence it necessitates a new thread. I have to anticipate their desired tip, since I'm risking my own cash on it, or do I stiff?

XXXNoahXXX 11-29-2007 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah but this time they didn't give me any money, see it's a totally different situation and hence it necessitates a new thread. I have to anticipate their desired tip, since I'm risking my own cash on it, or do I stiff?

[/ QUOTE ]

aaaaaaaaand that's where you're wrong.

mbillie1 11-29-2007 08:36 PM

lol well still, what do I do?

Alobar 11-29-2007 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not sure why you care. It's not your [censored], you didnt hire them for the job, you shouldnt care if they get tipped or not. If its because you will feel like a jackass since you are the one whos there and you feel uncomfortable cuz you are worried they will think you are a piece of [censored] for not tipping, then when the movers are done moving [censored] and they hand you whatever little form to sign, sign and say something like "was the tip included?" When they say no, say "wow, what an [censored]. Im sorry my boss is such a cheapskate"

mbillie1 11-29-2007 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not sure why you care. It's not your [censored], you didnt hire them for the job, you shouldnt care if they get tipped or not. If its because you will feel like a jackass since you are the one whos there and you feel uncomfortable cuz you are worried they will think you are a piece of [censored] for not tipping, then when the movers are done moving [censored] and they hand you whatever little form to sign, sign and say something like "was the tip included?" When they say no, say "wow, what an [censored]. Im sorry my boss is such a cheapskate"

[/ QUOTE ]

alright this works, I'll probably do this actually

Hoya 11-29-2007 08:38 PM

I think you have started something like 10 threads related to your job. Enough already.

samsonite2100 11-29-2007 09:50 PM

Tip them $20 and get it from your boss. Jesus H. What kind of fly by night operation are working for where you're worried about this? Do you work for Vyse?

mbillie1 11-29-2007 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you work for Vyse?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I don't wanna shell out too much cuz he never tips [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Tony_P 11-29-2007 10:13 PM

When I moved in May The move was $550 for 3 guys/5 hours.
One of them said "A $90 tip each is customary". I had to try really hard not to laugh at him

edfurlong 11-29-2007 10:20 PM

Did you still tip the other two?

astroglide 11-29-2007 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh here's a thread dealing with tipping with boss' money from just a few weeks ago!

OH WAIT YOU WERE THE OP IN THAT ONE TOO!

[/ QUOTE ]

jesus [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Tony_P 11-29-2007 11:57 PM

ed,
i gave them each $20. I handed $60 to one of the other guys and said it was for them all.

mbillie,

you could be a good poster if you started less threads

CalledDownLight 11-30-2007 03:34 AM

Tip them each $20, buy them lunch and offer then water and gatorade or whatever. Also, stay out of their way unless they ask you where something specific should go. Getting food is almost as good as getting a tip.

El Diablo 11-30-2007 04:33 AM

billie,

"3 beds"

$20/per = $60

"a full dining room set"

$50

"couch"

$30

"ottoman"

$10.

So, $150 tip pretty standard. $200 if they do a good job.

Double the tip amounts if there is a long carry or stairs are involved.

grando 11-30-2007 07:31 AM

lol

ceczar 11-30-2007 10:11 AM

diablo,

do these numbers change if you're paying a fee for delivery already? not that your numbers seem outrageous, but i think $100 should be plenty, especially if that works out to >$20/hr/man already

sonneti 11-30-2007 10:28 AM

Explain to the movers its your bosses place a box of donuts and some coffee should be fine... also I think you have a perfect opportunity to wiretap the bosses pad [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

4_2_it 11-30-2007 10:55 AM

Diablo, you forgot to mention that he should add an extra $10 per bed if the movers also put them together.

shane88888 11-30-2007 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I moved in May The move was $550 for 3 guys/5 hours.
One of them said "A $90 tip each is customary". I had to try really hard not to laugh at him

[/ QUOTE ]

You got a fairly cheap move, considering you moved in May (moving rates are demand sensitive by not only season, but also day of the month).

$90/man for five hours is laughable.

I worked as a mover for a couple years. I worked for a very, very expensive company. We were happy to average $2/hour in tips over the long run, since we charged so much and rich people are bad tippers.

I worked for a less expensive company. We were happy to average anything over $4/hour in tips over the long run, since we charged less and working class people are awesome tippers.

shane88888 11-30-2007 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Diablo, you forgot to mention that he should add an extra $10 per bed if the movers also put them together.

[/ QUOTE ]

We never expected extra tips for assembly, since we charge for that time anyway. Assembling bed > schlepping boxes up stairs.

If the job was close to my house and there was any really complex assembly, like home theater systems or Ikea wall units, I would finish the move and send the crew home. Then I'd come back on my own and work on a cash basis for like $25/hour.

If you would tip for this sort of thing, I would make sure the bed was put together correctly first.

shane88888 11-30-2007 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
billie,

"3 beds"

$20/per = $60

"a full dining room set"

$50

"couch"

$30

"ottoman"

$10.

So, $150 tip pretty standard. $200 if they do a good job.

Double the tip amounts if there is a long carry or stairs are involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

I cannot emphasize how far from standard these amounts are.

I never received a $150 tip for a single job that only took only one day, including the moves I did that most resembled the film "The Passion of the Christ."

shane88888 11-30-2007 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So what's my play? Tip in advance and say something like "I assumed you want me to tip them, so just so you know, it was $X" or whatever? Email them and hope they get the message in time? If I go it on my own, how much to tip considering the volume of items?

[/ QUOTE ]

Any decent company will add tips to the final bill, and charge them to the credit card. The movers won't be psyched about tips on the bill, since that then becomes taxable income, but it's better than a finger in the eye.

Ask your boss how much he's willing to tip.

As for how much to tip, that depends. Is this an interstate move? Is your boss paying by the hour? Was it a flat-rate charge? Is the delivery crew the same as the pick-up crew? Large carriers will have one crew pick-up, use a single driver, and use a different crew to unload.

shane88888 11-30-2007 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tip them each $20,

[/ QUOTE ]

$4/man/hour is fine. $20 for an eight hour job is on the low end.

[ QUOTE ]
buy them lunch and offer then water and gatorade or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Water + Gatorade is a good idea. We'd prefer money for lunch instead. Movers hate pizza. You'd hate it too if people bought it for you all the time. If you're gonna buy lunch, offer sandwiches.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, stay out of their way unless they ask you where something specific should go.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is brilliant advice.

[ QUOTE ]
Getting food is almost as good as getting a tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is like equating making out on the couch with a passionate, slobbering blow job.

Cash in hand is always, always best.

AquaSwing 11-30-2007 02:17 PM

I tipped three dudes $20 each a few years ago before I found out they had stolen my DVD player. Bastards.