Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Health and Fitness (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   How do I GAIN WEIGHT??? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=358604)

ClubChamp04 03-19-2007 05:52 AM

How do I GAIN WEIGHT???

I'm 5-10' and about 140 lbs/athletic build and absolutely can't gain weight to save my life. I can eat anything I want and not even workout and my weight still wont fluctuate.

My goal 150lbs, what is the best way to attain this. Do I need to eat more? More protein powder? Weight gainer? What do you guys suggest?

Thanks

skunkworks 03-19-2007 06:02 AM

Re: How do I GAIN WEIGHT???

Read up on John Berardi's articles on Massive Eating. Punch them [censored] into Google and you'll get back plenty of hits.

The bottom line is that you claim you can eat anything you want and not gain weight but you're lying like a filthy whore. I pretty much guarantee that you haven't tried eating 6 meals a day. You will know what it takes for a "hardgainer" to bulk up when you have to force food down your throat when you're not hungry. It may take a couple weeks, but your stomach will get used to it and expand.

I'm coming up on a full year of lifting and eating and I've gone from 148 to 168, and that's after never breaking 150 in my life.

john voight 03-19-2007 06:07 AM

I'm prolly the skiniest dude here;

6 feet, about 154lbs
I like you also can't gain weight for the life of me, however I know I am not trying 100%.

I eat light breakfast (serial + yogurt)
snack: protein bar + fruit at school
Lunch (sometimes) - sandwich
Dinner (this is lunch on days I don't have sandwich) standard big dinner.
before sleep (oatmeal 2 servings)

I guess this is like 3.5 meals a day, maybe 4, sometimes (rarely) 5 meals.

Maybe this summer, I will have time and will put more effort into it. IMO this is just as hard as losing weight for fat people is.

john voight 03-19-2007 06:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Read up on John Berardi's articles on Massive Eating. Punch them [censored] into Google and you'll get back plenty of hits.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/...sseating_1.htm
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi42.htm

part 1 and 2. didnt read, will do tomorrow, must sleep off this oatmeal I just ate for now..

Colt McCoy 03-19-2007 09:05 AM

1 - Eat everything you can get your hands on.

2 - Sleep as much as possible; at least 8 hours every night.

3 - Do three short, intense workouts per week. Do ONLY bench press, squats, deadlift, 5x5 for each. You want to do just enough to stimulate growth w/wo burning extra calories.

4 - No cardio.

TxRedMan 03-19-2007 01:02 PM

Try and find the weight gainer called 'Russian Bear'. It's really hard to find, but I reccomend it highly. Packed with vitamins and minerals, egg, whey, milk, and a little soy protein.

Try and find a weight gainer that has something like 50 grams of protein per 500 calories, or close to it.

If your BMR is 3000 calories a day, try increasing it to 3500 calories a day for three weeks. You can do this just by adding a scoop or two of weight gainer to a glass of milk 2x/day. If you haven't gained weight in three weeks, increase your caloric intake to 4000 calories per day.

And don't skip meals, i.e., don't let the weight gainer take the place of a meal.

Thremp 03-19-2007 04:05 PM

You probably eat between 1500-2000 cals a day.

Eat a lot more.

ClubChamp04 03-19-2007 05:07 PM

A lot of good info here guys, thanks! The john berardi articles look interesting and I'm going to read them fully when I get a chance.

[ QUOTE ]
The bottom line is that you claim you can eat anything you want and not gain weight but you're lying like a filthy whore. I pretty much guarantee that you haven't tried eating 6 meals a day. You will know what it takes for a "hardgainer" to bulk up when you have to force food down your throat when you're not hungry. It may take a couple weeks, but your stomach will get used to it and expand.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, I'm not at that point yet but I certainly feel like I eat a lot of stuff. It sounds like it's time to kick it up a notch.

[ QUOTE ]
You probably eat between 1500-2000 cals a day.

[/ QUOTE ]
You might be right. To be honest, I have NO IDEA how many calories I eat a day. I'm going to start counting today and try to get a ballpark figure to work off of. Let the binge eating begin! Hopefully I can come back to this thread in a month or so at least 5 pounds heavier.

1C5 03-19-2007 05:12 PM

fitday.com is a good way to track them online.

Ponies 03-19-2007 06:15 PM

Eat 6 meals a day getting about 40g protein 40g carbs 10g fat in the first 5 meals then just 40g protein and 10g fat in a meal you eat right before you goto sleep. Have about 3 hrs between each meal. Eat good foods and take a few tbsp of flaxseed oil every day.

Lift 2-3x a week doing basically

Day 1
Bench Press
Shoulder Press
Flyes
Tricep Extensions

Day 2
Squats
Stiff Legged deadlifts
Calf raises

Day 3
Pullups
Rows
Bicep Curls
Crunches

2 Sets of each + warmup sets is good enough
Add 8 hrs of sleep a day and you will gain muscle.

This is a pretty basic hardgainer routine and it works.