Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   KG (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=447007)

Artdogg 07-09-2007 06:41 PM

KG

I really have no idea where he's going at this point, so lets have some people who think they know throw out some absurd percentages.

Chances he is a twolve in 2007-08?
Chances he is a sun?
Chances he is a laker?
Chances he is a warrior?
Chances he is a bull?
Chances he is with someone else? (specify)

READY SET GO

vhawk01 07-09-2007 06:46 PM

Re: KG

From my understanding after reading about a thousand Star Tribune articles from people who, at least theoretically, have a lot of access and inside information in the Twolves front office, the chances of him being a Tpup in 07-08 is pretty much 0%.

bottomset 07-09-2007 08:10 PM

[censored] the Twolves front office

I think he's going to go to a contending team for league-minimum(or close to it) once he gets out of MN

kidcolin 07-11-2007 11:44 PM

chances he is a Celtic? 3%

If that were to happen, even though it means shipping my favorite player of the last 3 years, chances of me moving back to Boston? 100%

I'm pretty sure he gets shipped, though.

dw2006 07-12-2007 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I think he's going to go to a contending team for league-minimum(or close to it) once he gets out of MN

[/ QUOTE ]

No chance KG takes a discount to go to a contender at this point in his career. He is going to be looking for 1 more max contract, in 6 years he will be in a position to take the minimum to make a run at a ring.

Artdogg 07-20-2007 04:08 PM

So im bumping my own crappy thread with a dumb question. Say KG says he only wants to go to the suns and says he will not resign anywhere else, making no other team want him. Shouldnt the twolves move him to the Suns for rights to the hawks pick + marion + another, because they wouldnt get anything otherwise? What am I missing here, unless they just keep him around to sell tickets for one more year.

DesertCat 07-20-2007 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No chance KG takes a discount to go to a contender at this point in his career. He is going to be looking for 1 more max contract, in 6 years he will be in a position to take the minimum to make a run at a ring.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's going to take the minimum from the Suns, Spurs, Utah, Lakers, or maybe Portland/Seattle. What you don't understand is that the utility earning another $60M after tax isn't that meaningful when your career after tax earnings easily double that.

Being worth $120M + having a championship ring >>>> being worth $180M with no ring. Esp. when the cash difference is even less, because being a core player on a championship means tens of millions in additional career endorsement earnings. And let's face it, in 6 years he's not going to be a top player anymore and won't be able to contribute much to a championship. He might not even be able to get on to a championship level team taking the veterans minimum at that point.

Vyse 07-20-2007 06:30 PM

I'd be willing to take a prop bet that KG doesn't take the veteran's minimum next season from any team. A big one. 1K.

Clarkmeister 07-20-2007 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's going to take the minimum from the Suns, Spurs, Utah, Lakers, or maybe Portland/Seattle. What you don't understand is that the utility earning another $60M after tax isn't that meaningful when your career after tax earnings easily double that.

Being worth $120M + having a championship ring >>>> being worth $180M with no ring. Esp. when the cash difference is even less, because being a core player on a championship means tens of millions in additional career endorsement earnings. And let's face it, in 6 years he's not going to be a top player anymore and won't be able to contribute much to a championship. He might not even be able to get on to a championship level team taking the veterans minimum at that point.

[/ QUOTE ]

If all that was true, you'd see guys taking massive discounts all the time. But, you almost never do. $60 million is still $60 million, no matter how much you have in the bank.

IrishHand 07-20-2007 07:23 PM

Anyone who thinks KG will opt out of a $24M salary in 08/09 in order to sign for the vet minimum somewhere else is nuts.

As a straight FA, the most he can get is the current max (the contract he's playing under is from a different CBA), which is about half of what he'd make under his current contract.

KG's not getting traded this summer - the natural trade partners have made moves making it impossible to make a deal, apart from perhaps Golden State. My best guess is that another 30-50 year will inspire KG to push for a move after this coming year when he'll threaten to opt out (or actually do it) in order to force a sign-and-trade to another team who'll pay him a similarly gaudy amount (say a 3-year, $60M deal or something along those lines).