Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Cowboys-Packers 29/11/07 : Time to talk smack (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=555559)

rafiki 11-27-2007 01:25 PM

Cowboys-Packers 29/11/07 : Time to talk smack

I couldn't find another forum on this one, and I think the game is deserving of some discussion all week since it's played Thursday.

Line is at 7 right now, which I find somewhat generous as a Cowboys fan. I don't doubt we win, but Green Bay is a quality team. I certainly wouldn't be surprised with a double digit Cowboys win, but I don't expect that's the most likely outcome.

Anyone know more about the injured Packers ? I heard they were banged up pretty good.

How do most of you feel about this being on the NFL network ? In Canada we'll get this broadcast on cable, so I'm pretty happy about that.

Ellis+Ware swallow the old man. Cowboys 30 Packers 26.

mbillie1 11-27-2007 01:50 PM

Re: Cowboys-Packers 29/11/07 : Time to talk smack

NFL network is CRAP, I'm wicked pissed that I won't get to watch the best matchup this week. A total bunch of horse [censored]. If I wasn't so weak-willed, I'd boycott the NFL entirely this season in protest of this NFL network travishamockery, but then what would I watch on sundays [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

rafiki 11-27-2007 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NFL network is CRAP, I'm wicked pissed that I won't get to watch the best matchup this week. A total bunch of horse [censored]. If I wasn't so weak-willed, I'd boycott the NFL entirely this season in protest of this NFL network travishamockery, but then what would I watch on sundays [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Any decent sports bars near by ? I'm sure they're loving this. Probably going to be one of the busiest Thursday nights of the year for some of them.

Jay Riall 11-27-2007 03:44 PM

NFL Network is awesome imo. Why do you hate it so?

rafiki 11-27-2007 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably because it's not on everyone's cable pack.

dlk9s 11-27-2007 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Anyone know more about the injured Packers ? I heard they were banged up pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Packers had several guys who did not finish the Thanksgiving game:

CB Charles Woodson (toe)
S Aaron Rouse (knee)
OL Mark Tauscher (ankle)
DL Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila (knee and ankle)
DL Johnny Jolly (shoulder)

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports, "Tauscher is the most likely to play. Woodson made strides in getting the swelling out of his toe and could make it back."

If Woodson doesn't play, the Packers are pretty much dead, considering how hard it will be to cover TO, Witten, and crew even with him healthy. The loss of Jolly, who I don't think is expected to play, will really hurt the run defense and obviously the loss of KGB hurts the pass rush.

So, Green Bay will likely need to score A LOT.

bottomset 11-27-2007 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to get it [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

duracell 11-27-2007 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have Comcast and I get the NFL Network in HD...

rafiki 11-27-2007 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Packers had several guys who did not finish the Thanksgiving game:

CB Charles Woodson (toe)
S Aaron Rouse (knee)
OL Mark Tauscher (ankle)
DL Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila (knee and ankle)
DL Johnny Jolly (shoulder)

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports, "Tauscher is the most likely to play. Woodson made strides in getting the swelling out of his toe and could make it back."

If Woodson doesn't play, the Packers are pretty much dead, considering how hard it will be to cover TO, Witten, and crew even with him healthy. The loss of Jolly, who I don't think is expected to play, will really hurt the run defense and obviously the loss of KGB hurts the pass rush.

So, Green Bay will likely need to score A LOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is driver hurt ?

Tyler Durden 11-27-2007 07:49 PM

Unreal how good the Cowboys run.

RikkiDee 11-27-2007 08:27 PM

this will be the game that finally exposes Farve and CO to their correct .500 level of play

Murphinator 11-27-2007 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have Comcast and I get the NFL Network in HD...

[/ QUOTE ]

Same, it costs a whole $3 a month, it's definitely worth it

GBP04 11-27-2007 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this will be the game that finally exposes Farve and CO to their correct .500 level of play

[/ QUOTE ]

why, though? Their defense is very good this year and their offense is more than competent. I don't get this .500 line of thought. You realize what other teams are about .500, right? Arizona, Washington, Detroit, Chicago, Minnesota. The Packers are better than all of these teams.

BigSoonerFan 11-27-2007 08:37 PM

Since when do Cowboys and Packers fans use European date formatting?

Tyler Durden 11-27-2007 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

Jay Riall 11-27-2007 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since when do Cowboys and Packers fans use almost everywhere except America date formatting?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

yeotaJMU 11-27-2007 10:17 PM

goooo cowboys baby

im pissed that it is on NFL network also, as i live in VA it will suck to have to go to a sports bar to watch.

i think this is going to pass heavy shootout (obv). it makes me nervous that the redskins anemic offense was able to move the ball via the pass against the cowboys as favre/driver/jennings/lee are much better than campbell/cooley/others.

i think the cowboys win on the final drive... 31-28. should be a good game either way. too bad ill have to listen to collinsworth i hate that douche

rafiki 11-27-2007 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol as it were I'm French. Live in Canada, but French dad, did the French school system.

rafiki 11-27-2007 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya we only had those NINE mediocre (or downright bad) years up till now. Bout time we run good !

Claunchy 11-27-2007 10:41 PM

I am so excited for this game - even more so than I was for the Pats game. It's gonna be somewhat bittersweet though since the Packers have always been my 2nd favorite team.

And LOL @ whomever thought the Pack was basically a .500 team. They are pretty damn good.

rafiki 11-27-2007 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am so excited for this game - even more so than I was for the Pats game. It's gonna be somewhat bittersweet though since the Packers have always been my 2nd favorite team.

And LOL @ whomever thought the Pack was basically a .500 team. They are pretty damn good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost feel bad that TO is going to catch 8 balls for like 145. *almost*

Russ M. 11-27-2007 10:47 PM

I can't wait to not watch this game.

FU NFLN

yjbrewer 11-27-2007 10:48 PM

First off I am a Cowboys fan and I would like to say RIP Shawn Taylor. Next I would like to say who in the hell from GB can stop TO and Whitten? Packers 10-2 and we will see u in the NFC Championship Game!

rafiki 11-27-2007 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First off I am a Cowboys fan and I would like to say RIP Shawn Taylor. Next I would like to say who in the hell from GB can stop TO and Whitten? Packers 10-2 and we will see u in the NFC Championship Game!

[/ QUOTE ]

Witten. Ya nobody. And Crayton is back too which is a nice plus, although Hurd was holding his own. Imagine if Glenn is back for the playoffs ?

I'm not going to call NFC championship game yet. But I'll call 13-3 *minimum*

tdarko 11-27-2007 10:53 PM

lol @ Durden, maybe the biggest homer on this site.

Anyway, what scares me more than anything about this game is Favre is 0-8 at Texas Stadium--he is bound to win one eventually there!

yeotaJMU 11-27-2007 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya we only had those NINE mediocre (or downright bad) years up till now. Bout time we run good !

[/ QUOTE ]

not to mention injuries to glenn, henry, newman, ellis, crayton and thats all i can think of at the moment

oh yeah- testeverde, hutch, quincy, bledsoe, henson, etc

yeotaJMU 11-27-2007 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway, what scares me more than anything about this game is Favre is 0-8 at Texas Stadium--he is bound to win one eventually there!

[/ QUOTE ]

darko btw you have the best avatar ever imo

tdarko 11-27-2007 11:08 PM

yeota,

TY. =)

dlk9s 11-27-2007 11:40 PM

I posted my thoughts on the game a couple weeks ago, but I'll try to redo them quickly.

First, I'm a Packers fan, born and raised in Wisconsin, but I'm also realistic, so I typically don't act like TOO much of a homer.

I think the line on the game is about right. I figure Dallas is about 4 points better on a neutral field.

I feel that Dallas' big edges are on offense. They are extremely well-rounded and have an almost uncoverable WR in Owens. Even if Woodson plays, he'll be gimpy, so I think Green Bay will have a lot of trouble covering both Owens and Witten (GB is not good at covering TE's), plus Crayton. If they somehow do keep them in check, the Dallas running game is very good. While GB is solid against the run, they have been gashed on occasion.

Personally, I think GB's defense is a tad overrated, although still quite good. They tend to give up yards through the air, but just don't let teams in the endzone. With injuries to Woodson, KGB, Jolly, Rouse, Cole (out for the season), and Collins (I believe he's on IR, too), it's going to be a rough go for them.

GB will need their front four to force Romo into bad situations and keep him from running around too much. Hopefully (for GB fans), he'll make some bad throws, and even if they don't result in INT's, drives will get stalled.

The story isn't all that different when Green Bay has the ball, except that a) they don't have a Terrell Owens, and b) while the running game is becoming credible, it's not like they'll be able to pound the ball.

I feel GB's receiver depth is better than Dallas' (perhaps the best in the NFL, as they can easily go 5-wide plus Donald Lee) and Dallas isn't all that strong defending the pass. If the OL can protect Favre from Dallas' strong pass rush, he may be able to have another big game Thursday. As the air game establishes itself, that may give Ryan Grant an opportunity to make some headway on the ground if the OL can create holes.

Special teams are fairly even.

Overall, it should be a high scoring game. I feel the key for both teams will be to pressure the QB to try to throw the passing games off kilter. Both defense will probably need to do this by only rushing four as much as possible, as each offense has too many receiving weapons to cover.

Not counting key defensive injuries to GB (I know Dallas has injuries, too, but GB potentially lost several key players on Thanksgiving) and home field, I would give the edge to Dallas because of T.O., Witten, and the running game. Add injuries and location, and I think Dallas wins it.

I could see a close, one score game or a close game in which Dallas scores late to put it away and win by 13 or so.

EDIT: To answer the question about Driver being injured, he got banged up, but will be fine.

BTW, I plan on upgrading my cable package for one day to get the NFL network and then downgrading on Friday.

rafiki 11-27-2007 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not to mention injuries to glenn, henry, newman, ellis, crayton and thats all i can think of at the moment

oh yeah- testeverde, hutch, quincy, bledsoe, henson, etc

[/ QUOTE ]

Or the O-line ALWAYS being hurt or having no pass rush since the superbowl teams.

How about having a KICKER that doesn't give us nightmares ?

tdarko 11-27-2007 11:58 PM

This game is more important for Dallas than GB imo. Playing in GB in Jan is tougher than playing at Texas Stadium anytime--not that winning this game assures home field advantage but it would be a large step in the right direction.

Tyler Durden 11-28-2007 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

explain

hoyasnaxa 11-28-2007 01:17 AM

I hate the cowboys more than any team but 1 (pats obv), but i actually like Tony Romo. He is good, he seems like a nice and pretty cool guy, and he is willing to admit when he sucks in a game. Normally I would want the cowboys to win, but Favre is so damn annoying. He calls a press conference to explain that he is old and that the packers arent that good, too loose, but their record is good on a daily basis. Favre is so damn annoying. Cowboys win I think, 28-17 or something.

Assani Fisher 11-28-2007 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Since when do Cowboys and Packers fans use almost everywhere except America date formatting?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

Jay Riall,

Thanks for your insight. Its always cool for me to see the insight of someone with a differing viewpoint. I greatly respect your ability to explain your thoughts and views in a cool and collected manner. Let me ask you: I'm assuming that the reason USA uses month/day/year is because thats how we talk when we say it out loud. For example I would say "Today is December 12th, 2009." In other countries, do they actually say the day before the month? If so, that'd explain a lot. Again, thanks for your honesty, compassion, caring, and insight. Take care, friend.

Love,
Assani

dlk9s 11-28-2007 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate the cowboys more than any team but 1 (pats obv), but i actually like Tony Romo. He is good, he seems like a nice and pretty cool guy, and he is willing to admit when he sucks in a game. Normally I would want the cowboys to win, but Favre is so damn annoying. He calls a press conference to explain that he is old and that the packers arent that good, too loose, but their record is good on a daily basis. Favre is so damn annoying. Cowboys win I think, 28-17 or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, because Brett Favre actually schedules his own personal press conferences and writes out a speech prior to each one. It must be that. He couldn't actually be answering questions that members of the media ask at regularly scheduled team press conferences, could he?

34TheTruth34 11-28-2007 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't wait to not watch this game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bedreviter 11-28-2007 02:30 AM

Talking reasonable to a Vikings-fan about anything Brett Favre-related is futile.

POKEROMGLOL 11-28-2007 06:13 AM

Wonder if the NFL Network on my DISHNetwork is going to randomly pick up the game? who knows.

Also, I don't think either team can shut down the other's offense, but I think the running game (or threat of at least) of Dallas + Dallas' ability to get pressure on the quarterback will be too much for the pack.

The longer this thing goes on, the more I realize stopping Romo is pretty impossible.

vixticator 11-28-2007 06:56 AM

I believe a fully healthy Packers team playing on a neutral field with Favre playing like this would be the favorite. As is who knows, lots of injuries. They match up well IMO. Spread the Cowboys out like the Pats did and they don't have the players to stop it, this is what the Pack have done most of the season. Also, I think the Packers defensive line is much more likely to get pressure on Romo than vice versa. Kampman is sick. If only the safeties played well enough that Terrell Owens didn't wind up running wide open down the middle, they would/will win. I don't think this will really happen though. They match up great though.

BigSoonerFan 11-28-2007 08:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate the cowboys more than any team but 1 (pats obv), but i actually like Tony Romo. He is good, he seems like a nice and pretty cool guy, and he is willing to admit when he sucks in a game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus, Jessica Simpson brought him home to Thanksgiving. Otoh, he may be pretty tired by tomorrow.