Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Scott Boras wants 9-game World Series (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=439753)

ChuckyB 06-30-2007 03:29 PM

Scott Boras wants 9-game World Series

[ QUOTE ]

By Ronald Blum
NEW YORK (AP) - Scott Boras loves the World Series so much, he wants to make it best-of-nine - and open with two games at a neutral site.

Arguing that the shift would create a marketing bonanza that would rival the Super Bowl, Boras outlined his ideas in a two-page letter he sent to baseball commissioner Bud Selig on April 15.

"I know from an owner's perspective, this is a gold mine," Boras said. "To have a World Series Weekend . . . I think it will create a stage that the game has not seen."
...He would open the weekend on a Friday night with a televised gala announcing the MVP, Cy Young, Rookie of the Year and Manager of the Year awards, and have the five top candidates for each in attendance.

Hall of Fame voting would be announced Saturday, with the opener that night and Game 2 on Sunday night. After that, the Series would pick up the 2-3-2 format that's been used since 1925...

Cities would bid far in advance for the right to host the first two games, and baseball would solicit corporate money, trying to create an event similar to the Super Bowl, Final Four and BCS Championship.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like it.

Artdogg 06-30-2007 03:44 PM

Re: Scott Boras wants 9-game World Series

tl;dr but I agree, they also should extend the reg. season to 296 games and have 16 playoff teams with all 9 games series'

Homer 06-30-2007 03:47 PM

I don't like the neutral site idea, but I do like the idea of adding more playoff games. At a minimum, the wildcard round should be best of 7.

kidcolin 06-30-2007 03:51 PM

playing baseball in december rules.

LionelHutz00 06-30-2007 05:00 PM

I think this is a very good idea.

Homer 06-30-2007 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
playing baseball in december rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

they could just cut the regular season back to 154...of course they won't, though.

PokerFink 06-30-2007 05:19 PM

Um... it's two more games. I think we can fit that in before December.

kidcolin 06-30-2007 05:19 PM

well, at least Kansas City, Tampa Bay, etc could finally get some post season games. Of course that wouldn't happen either, because they're both small markets.

I guess I'm a traditionalist. This stinks.

mmbt0ne 06-30-2007 05:22 PM

What happens when NY is awarded an opening weekend and then the Yankees make the Series?

mason55 06-30-2007 05:22 PM

world series was best of 9 at one point

(although i think it was best of 13 at one point as well)

still i like the idea and 2 more games is really nothing