Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Colts raffling five Super Bowl rings (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=535056)

wadea 10-31-2007 12:45 AM

Colts raffling five Super Bowl rings

Colts raffling off five Super Bowl rings. It's to raise money for charity, but - unless these rings were donated by five people in the organization who now don't get rings - it doesn't seem right to me. I think it cheapens the other rings and maybe even rings from other years. They're not Beanie Babies. It used to be that you actually had to earn these rings by playing football well or by helping players play well.

eviljeff 10-31-2007 12:51 AM

Re: Colts raffling five Super Bowl rings

it could even be a boat!

illini43 10-31-2007 12:51 AM

Sports teams are businesses.

Businesses like good PR.

Good PR brings in more $$$ through tickets and merchandise sales.

This is good PR.

It's sad, but true.

tarheeljks 10-31-2007 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Colts raffling off five Super Bowl rings. It's to raise money for charity, but - unless these rings were donated by five people in the organization who now don't get rings - it doesn't seem right to me. I think it cheapens the other rings and maybe even rings from other years. They're not Beanie Babies. It used to be that you actually had to earn these rings by playing football well or by helping players play well.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is great. wtf do you care about the value of the ring?

i doubt this makes the players/coaches/staff feel like their rings are worth less.

illini43 10-31-2007 12:53 AM

To clarify, I'm not saying the Colts are doing a bad thing by donating money to charity - it's just the emphasis on the sacredness of "the ring" and athletes playing for "the love of the game" has faded over the last decade or so IMO.

TheNoodleMan 10-31-2007 01:08 AM

They give these things to so many no football people in the organization anyway that it doesn't really make a difference. The woman in charge of selling season tickets gets one, so whats the difference?

Spellmen 10-31-2007 01:13 AM

It's not like they're raffling off the Lombardi trophy here. The organization gives out the rings, not the NFL

Dynasty 10-31-2007 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it cheapens the other rings and maybe even rings from other years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah!

And the Star Wars prequels cheapened the original trilogy!

And Jerry Yang's WSOP victory cheapened the victories of great players like Doyle Brunson and Stu Ungar!

And Al Gore's Nobel Peace Prize cheapened the Prize of Martin Luther King Jr.!

And Berry Rice Krispies cheapened origanal Rice Krispies!

Or not.

Dynasty 10-31-2007 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...it's just the emphasis on the sacredness of "the ring" and athletes playing for "the love of the game" has faded over the last decade or so IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's a safe bet that a decade or so ago, you were a kid.

I think you could find adults in the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s who would say "Today's players just don't play for the right reason. It used be different before."

scpi10 10-31-2007 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They give these things to so many no football people in the organization anyway that it doesn't really make a difference. The woman in charge of selling season tickets gets one, so whats the difference?

[/ QUOTE ]