Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Lindsay Lohan and Rehab (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=416855)

Sniper 05-31-2007 09:56 PM

Lindsay Lohan and Rehab

So she's back in rehab for the 2nd time this year, after a weekend where she jumped a curb and got a DUI, and then passed out in a friends car the next day.

So in general...

Does rehab really work for these troubled young stars? and why do they get themselves into so much trouble in the first place?

They have enough money to do whatever they want, yet they choose to get wasted and drive drunk, etc. Why don't they just hire chauffer's to drive them around, or bodyguards to keep them from drinking too much?

What's the real deal, why are they focused on partying and not expanding their careers?

Does all this success at a young age, really lead to depression?

Can The Loungers provide some thoughtful answers...

MrMon 05-31-2007 10:28 PM

Re: Lindsay Lohan and Rehab

There's rehab and there's "rehab". What Lohan is doing is most likely "rehab", as in, "Please don't throw me in jail, I'm in "rehab", I promise to be good". Then as soon as she can, she's back on the goodies. Don't think for one minute she's there to get clean and sober.

Sadly, I think the only thing that will clean up some of the Ritchie-Hilton-Spears-Lohan or their pale imitators crowd will be for one of them to die.

Shadowrun 05-31-2007 10:31 PM

People make big deals of DUI when it happens to celebrities, especially young starlets.

Normally, people that get a DUI dont have to worry about it being in the paper.

As far as her career goes i think she has done okay so far, and will continue so.

fyodor 05-31-2007 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Sadly, I think the only thing that will clean up some of the Ritchie-Hilton-Spears-Lohan or their pale imitators crowd will be for one of them to die.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is likely to only clean up the one that dies.

katyseagull 05-31-2007 10:58 PM

I want to know what rehab is all about. I used to think it meant that you went away to some facility and were locked up for like 6 weeks. I thought it was a fairly restrictive treatment program. Now I see celebs like Britney Spears going into rehab for only a few days before leaving to go to clubs and restaurants. Was she in some kind of outpatient rehab or something? I guess there are different definitions of rehab.

Sniper 05-31-2007 11:51 PM

katy, its something like going to a country club, but with doctors and psychs around, daily massages and all that [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

When Lohan went in January, she was out every day working on her movie, which seems kind of strange.

She was supposed to start work on another film this week, so we'll see how that goes.

katyseagull 05-31-2007 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What's the real deal, why are they focused on partying and not expanding their careers?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's really difficult for actors and recording artists to expand their careers. Hollywood is so competitive. There's always a new rising star and fresh face coming on the scene. Think about it, even the best actresses have trouble finding films. You would walk around constantly knowing that you were replaceable. I think this kind of stress and uncertainty would make anyone want to party. Anyway, celebs enjoy their fame so much they want to continue to be chased by the paparazzi. Going out clubbing is one way to get that attention and stay in the public eye.

Which leads to my question, why do so many bright people do prescription drugs and alcohol? I've known people in my life who did this and they were extremely bright, articulate people. They were really into pill popping. Anyone on here want to tell me why smart people do this?

Blarg 06-01-2007 12:35 AM

If you're not too bright, you're cut off from some types of pain that others have easier access to. Also, pain in general is accessible to everyone, so being smart doesn't exempt you. You could still have had a crummy childhood, developed neuroses, been economically limited, be lonely, be bi-polar, grow up in an environment that strongly encouraged drug and/or alcohol abuse, etc. That kind of thing leads to people self-medicating. Smart people are at least as likely to feel psychological pain. Apparently there have been studies showing that realistic people are more likely to be depressive. It seems fair to say that smarter people tend to be more realistic. Thus, depressive.

The other day, some doctor on CNN was talking about Lohan's rehab and his clinic, and he and another doctor were saying alcoholism isn't a disease at all, but is caused by people feeling lonely, taking steps backwards in life, undergoing repeated traumas, all kinds of psychologically very gripping things. They then tend to self-medicate.

cambraceres 06-01-2007 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone on here want to tell me why smart people do this?

[/ QUOTE ]

In general the very bright are not different in matters of ethics from a person within normal parameters of intelligence. You must think abou it like this, the pain of a smart person, and that of a dumb one is the same qualitatively. The absolute bliss of a productive genius is the same in characteristic as that of a blithering idiot.

It is in terms of our emotions that humanity is said to be a community.

Cam

Thug Bubbles 06-01-2007 09:49 AM

I've always thought that if a close friend or family member was going through such issues, and if i had the money, I would simply take them to a remote location for three or four months. A location that was naturally beautiful, and have them stay within a comfortable two bedroom house.

All these rehab places are a joke because they're merely resorts with limp-wristed counseling (from an outsiders opinion, i guess i should say). I understand there are health ramifications with a cold turkey method, but I think most cases would do just fine.

Think "Trainspotting". Keep them in a basic room, with books they like and a full bathroom. Constantly watch them for a week or so, then open the rest of the house to them with even more amenities (better meals, more entertainment, and more room to lounge), after another week bring them outside to enjoy nature (hiking, swimming, fishing, etc.)

Ultimately, her parents are pretty ridiculous (i hear they have serious problems in their own right) and deserve as much vitriol as Lindsay is getting.