Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MOD DISCUSSION (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Post deleted by Mat Sklansky (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=222300)

chopstick 10-09-2006 01:43 PM

Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have pics of their house/apartment?

I hear numbers thrown around a lot, but it would be cool to see exactly how 2+2ers are living, and have a more concrete idea of what's possible for X amount of money.

[/ QUOTE ]

First I stayed at this hotel. I have stayed there every year I visited in the past too.

Grand President Topaz Suite, Bangkok: Oct 2004 it was $750/monthly rate (prices may vary depending on season)

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/6...0337imgwi7.jpg

It's not as ballin as Degen's pad I'm sure, but it works for me and my budget. It is very centrally located and has gym, sauna, pool etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, but does Degen's pad have Milano cookies like yours does?

I think you're ahead of the game, here.

chopstick 10-09-2006 02:21 PM

I just read the entire thread.

Thanks for the contributions, everyone. Both educational and entertaining.

A couple of questions I haven't seen answered:

In the U.S., almost all Thai food has peanuts or some kind of peanut-related item in it. The exception to that seems to be food with coconut. How similar is this to food in Thailand itself? Would someone with a serious peanut allergy be able to easily eat in Thailand, or would they always have to check everything they ate?

Why has no one posted photos of the Thai Pizza Hut girls?

How is the postal system there? Specifically, how easy would it be to go to Thailand, pick up some of those nice custom shirts and stuff, and just mail it back to your country of origin, instead of taking it on the plane?

The geckos eating all of the other bugs sounds pretty awesome, but people are still talking about cockroaches. Do the geckos not eat them too?

chopstick 10-09-2006 03:09 PM

I was pretty curious about the "do the geckos eat the cockroaches?" thing, so I did some research, and found the following:

A bunch of photos of 100 baht Ranong rooms. This includes a cockroach that died and some ants show up and carry it out of the room. Also, a gecko. The gecko looks more squat than I thought it would. Guess he is eating well. The guy running that site is travelling around the world, he is currently in West Africa. I just bookmarked it, looks like a solid read. The updates go back 3 years, with photos. He's been doing it for 10. A ton of Thailand entries.

Another good story I found: Then, as I’m still processing everything, I see another, then another, then another, and suddenly, I realize that THOUSANDS of cockroaches are pouring out from any crack in the pavement….

GreywolfNYC 10-09-2006 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont think im mature enough to live there alone.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the first thing you've said that makes sense.

Jim Kuhn 10-09-2006 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

jv,

if you really want to carry a gun, you can in <font color="red"> IRAQ </font> .

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

southerndog 10-09-2006 10:35 PM

Chopstick, the Postal service is ok, and you could prolly trust it to take care of what you want.

You shouldn't have too much of a problem getting food that is not made with peanuts, but you have to realize that thai people may not take your request seriously. You could just do what I do and hire a personal chef.

xxThe_Lebowskixx 10-09-2006 10:43 PM

its like impossible to write thai language in roman letters, but peanut sounds like too-ay. So if you were going to order something like pad thai, or sumtum thai from a street vendor you could say "mai ow too-ay krap" which would mean no want peanut please.

you will just have to know which dishs are going to contain peanuts and then tell them ahead of time. if it is really busy, than avoid those dishs becauses they might not hear what you say and jut nod. better yet, get someone at your hotel to write it down on a piece of paper.

farang0 10-09-2006 11:14 PM

It sounds more like too-UH everytime I hear it said.

'Mai Sigh too-uh' is a better way to say it.

It means 'without peanuts' instead of 'dont want peanuts'

Learning to write Thai is a bitch. I started to learn but have been lazy for about 2 months so I need to start over again.

Hector01 10-10-2006 01:16 AM

Im heading for Samui in two months, and I know this has probebly been asked before but its not easy to find answers in this thread now that it has become this big.

I'm planning on staying there for two months and i would like to have reliable internet so i can at least have 4 tables running (cant really afford not playing for 2 months). Is this possible for Koh Samui, it doesnt have to be in room im renting and i can leave with couple of disconnects in a month ( maybe up to 5).

Last time i was there but i didnt played or used internet but i remember this IT Complex just outside Lamai, is that an option for reliable internet?

Thanks and im sorry if these questions have already been answered.

farang0 10-10-2006 03:09 AM

Whats your budget?

You might be able to find a room in Chaweng and also be able to pick up a wireless signal. Some nicer hotels have free wifi provided. Your only other option would be to play at internet cafes but I cant imagine that would be too fun.