Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MOD DISCUSSION (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Post deleted by Mat Sklansky (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=222300)

09-27-2006 02:04 PM

Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

xxThe_Lebowskixx 09-27-2006 02:04 PM

Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
do thai women only like white guys or do (rich) asians actually stand a chance?

[/ QUOTE ]

huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like buddy is a rich AZN and wants to know if the hookers will care that he is not white.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you have money, you are good to go.

Madd 09-27-2006 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. What would a middle class (North American standards) couple with no children have to spend per month on food/lodging/entertainment etc.. if they wanted to "upgrade" and live "well"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not Degen, but anyway:
A couple should get by very, very well with 2-3k $. The reason why it isn't less is that you can afford to do many nice things. The price is cheap in each case, but it adds up.

[ QUOTE ]
2. What are the biggest issues with living in what is commonly accepted as a third world country?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are far away from friends and family.
It is dirtier than in america/europe/australia.
The traffic is chaotic.
See question #3.

[ QUOTE ]
3. How reliable is basic infrastructure (electricity/cable/internet/roads/public transport - etc...)?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have power outages (arund 1 per month where I live). DSL is not very reliable, so you should use a UPS and a second internet connection to be fine. The roads aren't great, but not that bad either. I don't know much about public transport because I use taxis (very cheap) in general.

[ QUOTE ]
4. How corrupt is law enforcement (a 2+2 poster was caught with some weed and extorted out of $2000 USD in exchange for not getting booked - is this common?).

[/ QUOTE ]

You shouldn't have problems here with law enforcement unless you kill somebody or do drug trafficking.
That said, I always hear that before and after loy krathong (sp.), xmas etc. the cops need more money and stop more cars for speeding/motobike-driver for not wearing a helmet. 100 baht = around 2.50$.

09-27-2006 02:07 PM

xxThe_Lebowskixx 09-27-2006 02:14 PM

here are my complaints about thailand

1. traffic is really horrible if you want to go somewhere outside of the skytrain/subway range. bangkok is pretty poorly designed. airport to your house can sometimes take upwards of 2 hrs if the traffic is bad.

2. pollution is pretty bad. are there any trees in bkk?

3. everywhere you go, you see 50 year old dudes dressed in shorts and a tank top walking around what is obviously paid company. these are mostly 'tourists' and not expats who dont give a [censored] what thai people think about them or how they are presented.

tuq 09-27-2006 02:14 PM

Freerollin`,

I said "boys", not "kids", so you changed my question. WTF?

TroutMaskReplica 09-27-2006 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1. A couple can live very good for 2,000 USD a month. 3,000 USD and you are living very large.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm seriously considering taking 3-6 months over there next year but $2000/month is more than i'd heard as far as cost of living (even taking into account that you're talking about a couple living comfortably).

i'm a 32 yo guy, looking to rent a simple apt in bangkok for my full stay, get a good internet connection, live well but not extravagantly, and take a few weeks here and there to see other parts of the country. i know this is the sort of stuff everyone asks, just wondering if i can do this for closer to $1000/month or whether i'm dreaming...any advice appreciated

09-27-2006 02:14 PM

09-27-2006 02:17 PM

xxThe_Lebowskixx 09-27-2006 02:21 PM

"i'm a 32 yo guy, looking to rent a simple apt in bangkok for my full stay, get a good internet connection, live well but not extravagantly, and take a few weeks here and there to see other parts of the country. i know this is the sort of stuff everyone asks, just wondering if i can do this for closer to $1000/month or whether i'm dreaming...any advice appreciated"

easy to do if you dont allow yourself to be ripped off.