Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Shorting a Cashier a penny or 2: Whats the limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=400718)

mrkilla 05-11-2007 01:15 PM

Shorting a Cashier a penny or 2: Whats the limit

Whats an accetable amount of change you can short a cashier when making a purchase?

Lets say for example you go to your favorite Deli or store to buy a blunt and a 40 the total is 4.23 and you have 4.20 (you have other money if you wanted to break it you are not in dire straits here thats not the idea here )

Lets also included the "Give a Penn/Take a Penny" Trays I am curious whats the threshold on the Take.

AntonHeat 05-11-2007 01:18 PM

Re: Shorting a Cashier a penny or 2: Whats the limit

It depends if you know them or not and are a regular or just random

guids 05-11-2007 01:19 PM

as much as they will let you get away with.

mbillie1 05-11-2007 01:19 PM

I was a little confused by the poll... but say the total is $4.30 and I have 4 singles, a quarter and a twenty, and there are 5 pennies in the tray... I'm taking the pennies, but this is only in an instance of exact change. If it's $4.30 and I have $20.25, I'm just giving the cashier a $20. If it's $4.32 and I have $20.25, I take 2 pennies and give a $20...

And I just provided way too much clarity on why I responded >5 (I'm a scumbag)

RayPowers 05-11-2007 01:19 PM

I voted never, but there's been times when my total was like $2.03 and I handed the girl three bucks and she handed me one back and just pulled cents from the tray, so I would guess that <5 is probably the right answer...

Ray

Dids 05-11-2007 01:20 PM

I would only ever short somebody at a place I frequent. There's a stop n rob right by work that I've done this at like twice, and I've always asked them first.

mrkilla 05-11-2007 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It depends if you know them or not and are a regular or just random

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets make this as general as possible its a place you been too once or twice but generally are an unknown to them.

mrkilla 05-11-2007 01:24 PM

FWIW my vote is 4 cents anything below a nickle. I also leave any pennies I get

guids 05-11-2007 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I voted never, but there's been times when my total was like $2.03 and I handed the girl three bucks and she handed me one back and just pulled cents from the tray, so I would guess that <5 is probably the right answer...

Ray

[/ QUOTE ]

Im an expert at pulling a jedi mind trick in this situation. tab is 3.03 I give her 4, I ALWAYS get my dollar back.

Alobar 05-11-2007 01:29 PM

its ok to only short them as much as there are pennies in the tray. If youve got other money ask them "hey, I've only got $4.20 unless you want to make change for a $20". If you have no other money you just say "oops, I'm 3 cents short" and see what they say. I personally wouldnt do that if it was a nickel or more tho