Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   New York Knicks '07-'08 playoffs or Busto thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=506299)

Rubeskies 09-21-2007 03:36 PM

New York Knicks \'07-\'08 playoffs or Busto thread

Well, interesting off season. Randolph in, Frye out. Team is deep up front. Randolph should make up for Curry's lack of rebounding. The East got tougher this year, especially with Boston getting much better. Jamal is healthy, Nate has progressed, D Lee is healthy. I'll be interested to see what Chandler brings to the Table

I think they can still make the playoffs this year and they're gonna be really fun to watch. GO KNICKS!

Possible depth chart?

PG: Stephon Starbury
SG: Jamal Crawford
SF: Q Rich
PF: Zach Randolph
C: Eddie Curry

Bench Guards:
-Nate Robinson
-Dan Dickau (If he makes the team)
-Fred Jones (If he makes the team)
-Mardy Collins (If he makes the team)

Bench Forwards:

-David Lee
-Renaldo Balkman
-Jered Jeffries
-Wilson Chandler
-Demetris Nichols
-Malik Rose

Bench Centers

-Randolph Morris
-Jerome James

We're kind of thin at the SG position as there is really nothing after Jamal. I'm pretty happy with the PG situation...well as happy as I'll ever be with Steph on the team. We're really stacked up front and I'm really excited to see what the new guys like Chandler, Nichols and especially Randolph Morris can do with a full season. Honestly, I feel like Nichols could play the 2 if needed. He's a really good shooter and showed his NBA range and his length could cause problems for other 2s on defense. But he might not be quick enough yet to handle the D after playing a zone at Syracuse.

THAY3R 09-21-2007 03:43 PM

Re: New York Knicks \'07-\'08 playoffs or Busto thread

http://www.nba.com/media/act_david_lee.jpg

Wynton 09-21-2007 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think they can still make the playoffs this year and they're gonna be really fun to watch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really fun to watch? One of us is way out of touch with reality, and I fear it's you.

I hope I'm wrong.

Veecee 09-21-2007 04:36 PM

David F'n Lee FTW

What a stud

Rubeskies 09-21-2007 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I think they can still make the playoffs this year and they're gonna be really fun to watch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really fun to watch? One of us is way out of touch with reality, and I fear it's you.

I hope I'm wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're no Pheonix Suns but when is the last time you looked at the Knicks roster and said, wow, these guys are gonna compete? 2001? Plus they have a bunch of really athletic and skilled front court guys.

Green Kool Aid 09-21-2007 06:05 PM

LOL this team is beyond atrocious.

Edit: quick question...when the knicks play the celtics, i was just wondering who they were planning to guard KG with.

kyleb 09-21-2007 06:12 PM

Playoffs or busto eh?

[b]BUSTO AHOY MATEY

kyleb 09-21-2007 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They're no Pheonix Suns but when is the last time you looked at the Knicks roster and said, wow, these guys are gonna compete?

[/ QUOTE ]

A long time ago, but it's not like anyone's saying that THIS year.

kidcolin 09-21-2007 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Playoffs or busto eh?

BUSTO AHOY MATEY

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Though I look forward to Isiah respectfully calling Violet Palmer a bitch.

Rubeskies 09-21-2007 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They're no Pheonix Suns but when is the last time you looked at the Knicks roster and said, wow, these guys are gonna compete?

[/ QUOTE ]

A long time ago, but it's not like anyone's saying that THIS year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Compete=Compete for the 8th spot. I didn't say they'd do anything in the playoffs.

Suigin406 09-21-2007 06:24 PM

i wish i could share ur optimism rubeskies, i know the east is fairly weak even with the improved teams, but i don't see 8th seed in our reach this year...

that being said, i'm still looking forward to this season and it's one more season closer to when the knicks can get more cap room to make significant moves

DesertCat 09-21-2007 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

They're no Pheonix Suns but when is the last time you looked at the Knicks roster and said, wow, these guys are gonna compete? 2001? Plus they have a bunch of really athletic and skilled front court guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Starbury" killed the Suns when he played for them and he's killed the Knicks. He's the most over-rated bad player in the league. I'm sure it will really entertaining to watch him jack up bad jumpers at a 41% rate. He was 43/51 in shooting percentage last year by qualified guards. He's not much of a passer, 15th in assists, and 35th (!) in assists to turnover ratio among league guards.

Over-rated and a team killer.

Green Kool Aid 09-21-2007 06:29 PM

Knicks fans....tell me which of these eight teams the knicks are better than?

Detroit
Cleveland
Toronto
Chicago
New Jersey
Washington
Boston
Charlotte

Wynton 09-21-2007 06:31 PM

I think it's conceivable the Knicks could make the playoffs, but I think it's less likely they'll be entertaining or fun.

Most 7th or 8th playoff teams are pretty frustrating to watch.

Rubeskies 09-21-2007 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Detroit
Cleveland
Toronto
Chicago
New Jersey
Washington
Boston
Charlotte

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago and probably Toronto are out of the Knicks league.

Boston Probably will be but it's hard to judge a completely new team.

But I think the Knicks can certainly compete with Charlotte, New Jersey and Washington. I wouldn't say they were even money with these teams but it's close enough for me to actually pay attention this season.

johnnylovescandy 09-21-2007 06:32 PM

Knicks can't even beat Atlanta...

freehat 09-21-2007 07:44 PM

The Knicks would probably make the playoffs if they started and played their two best players (Lee and Balkman) tons of minutes.

kidcolin 09-21-2007 08:20 PM

I sort of agree, especially with Lee (he led the league in Berri's Wins Produced Per 48 which is damn impressive), but people often fail to realize that Lee and Balkman wouldn't be as efficient if they played bigger minutes.

ClarkNasty 09-21-2007 08:21 PM

I predict Busto.

09-21-2007 08:38 PM

This thread is at least two years premature...

stormstarter28 09-21-2007 09:06 PM

busto FTW

thedarknight 09-22-2007 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL this team is beyond atrocious.

Edit: quick question...when the knicks play the celtics, i was just wondering who they were planning to guard KG with.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha jared jeffries!!!

thedarknight 09-22-2007 08:57 PM

This team needs to get blown up. I think the Knicks will starts winning once Isiah freaking leaves. Zeebo and Curry are not the answer, they don't play Defense. These guys are big, but they lack the heart of the glory days of Ewing, Oakley, X-Man, etc.

Hopefully they get some veteran leadership in Allan Houston.

Assani Fisher 09-22-2007 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Detroit
Cleveland
Toronto
Chicago
New Jersey
Washington
Boston
Charlotte

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago and probably Toronto are out of the Knicks league.

Boston Probably will be but it's hard to judge a completely new team.

But I think the Knicks can certainly compete with Charlotte, New Jersey and Washington. I wouldn't say they were even money with these teams but it's close enough for me to actually pay attention this season.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...Washington continues to get no respect. They were the #2 team in the East before the injuries hit last year, and now people don't even put them in the top 5 or 6? Thats ridiculous. If healthy, they're up there with the elite.

dregal 09-22-2007 09:49 PM

Meh, +1 for optomsim here.

I think they should a lot of progress last year before they got killed with injuries (Q, Cawford and Lee) at the end of the year. Curry made tremendous strides under Isaiah and Crawford and Lee continue to improve.

Big questions this are obviously how Curry and Randolph will play together, how can Thomas find enough minutes for Lee and if Steph can contine to step up and be the PG leader this team needs (I liked a lot of wha I saw from him last year).

Also, I thought they were very entertaining to watch last year - they played with energy and heart, and most importantly I thought the played as a "team," which is not something I can say for the year under Larry Brown and most of the Layden era teams.

I don't think we will be competeing for any NBA titles anytime soon, but I think playoffs in the weak Eastern Conferece are def within reach.

Rubeskies 09-22-2007 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't think we will be competing for any NBA titles anytime soon, but I think playoffs in the weak Eastern Conferece are def within reach.

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally, somebody who realizes that pre-season is for optimism since it might be the only time I can be optimistic. All the Celtics fans who are entertaining dreams of NBA titles with a team that has never played together should understand.

kidcolin 09-22-2007 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I don't think we will be competing for any NBA titles anytime soon, but I think playoffs in the weak Eastern Conferece are def within reach.

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally, somebody who realizes that pre-season is for optimism since it might be the only time I can be optimistic. All the Celtics fans who are entertaining dreams of NBA titles with a team that has never played together should understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but we got good players. And our coach sucks, but he isn't the weirdest most creepy dude in the history of the NBA.

Other than David Lee and Balkman, I don't like a damn thing about this Knicks team.

Green Kool Aid 09-22-2007 10:44 PM

I'd also just like to point out that last year I kept praising the Balkman pick, and all the 2p2 baseball nits were against it.

I'm going to call it the "Balkman rule" from now on:

If ever a baseball nerd comes into a NBA thread and starts bringing up ghey stats, when I actually watch games with an eye for small things, I am going to Balkman rule them.

Assani,

Word. The Wiz are awesome. I'm going to do my Eastern Conference and Western Conference rankings soon, and I'll put the Wiz probably fourth after the Cavs, Celtics, and Pistons.

BJLTNYK 09-22-2007 10:47 PM

+1 for massive optimism...season ticket holder since 94.

There are still a few pieces that need to go..Nate and James being at the top of the list but the roster just keeps getting more and more versatile.

Watched DNic for 3 years here at Cuse and he has such great range for his size. Really have liked what I've seen from Chandler too. I don't know how Zach and Curry will work together..the team's success is really going to hinge on their coexisting. Lee and Balkman need LOTS of minutes.

THAY3R 09-22-2007 10:47 PM

Nobody disliked the Balkman pick because of his ability.

Rubeskies 09-22-2007 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

There are still a few pieces that need to go..Nate and James being at the top of the list but the roster just keeps getting more and more versatile.

Watched DNic for 3 years here at Cuse and he has such great range for his size. Really have liked what I've seen from Chandler too. I don't know how Zach and Curry will work together..the team's success is really going to hinge on their coexisting. Lee and Balkman need LOTS of minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's wrong with Nate? He was the summer league MVP, actually shot a solid % from 3 (something the Knicks sorely need) and brings tons of energy. As he matures he'll cut down on his TOs and become a decent distributer.

Word about Nichols. His shooting touch is really gonna help the offense if he gets any kind of minutes.

dregal 09-23-2007 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As he matures he'll cut down on his TOs and become a decent distributer.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is crux of the problem with Nate...I'm not sold that he will mature enough. I'm not ready to give up on him yet - I LOVE the energy and passion he brings, but unless he is under control and not in shoot-shoot-shoot mode he is more of a liability on the court.

tercet 09-23-2007 12:47 AM

Gl getting better then 4th in the atlantic.

thedarknight 09-23-2007 03:07 AM

seriously who is going to be the shot blocker on this team? Balkman?

EvanJC 09-23-2007 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL...Washington continues to get no respect. They were the #2 team in the East before the injuries hit last year, and now people don't even put them in the top 5 or 6? Thats ridiculous. If healthy, they're up there with the elite.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh. We'll see, I guess. I'd be willing, however, to eat a huge basket of dicks if the Wiz are a top 4 team in the east next year.

Course, I love eating dick.

THAY3R 09-23-2007 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
seriously who is going to be the shot blocker on this team?

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] please

Veecee 09-23-2007 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
seriously who is going to be the shot blocker on this team?

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] please

[/ QUOTE ]

LOOOOOOOOOL so sick

BobboFitos 09-23-2007 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I sort of agree, especially with Lee (he led the league in Berri's Wins Produced Per 48 which is damn impressive), but people often fail to realize that Lee and Balkman wouldn't be as efficient if they played bigger minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]
agreed

i seem to recall a really good thread about iverson, because people love to hate him (about how overrated he is) but due to insane mins or whatnot he actually doesnt really do that much worse with all the extra mins or whatnot. It was pretty impressive when I read it, wonder if that rings a bell to anyone.

rafiki 09-23-2007 11:59 AM

I've always liked this franchise. It's really sad what it's become. Those Ewing years were good for the league.

kidcolin 09-23-2007 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
agreed

i seem to recall a really good thread about iverson, because people love to hate him (about how overrated he is) but due to insane mins or whatnot he actually doesnt really do that much worse with all the extra mins or whatnot. It was pretty impressive when I read it, wonder if that rings a bell to anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I recall that too, and I know I was firmly in the pro-AI camp. I don't want to hijack, but I've been reconsidering my position due to the writings of Dave Berri. I need to read up more about his stats, but I'm becoming convinced that his Wins Produced stat is more valuable than Hollinger's PER.