Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Feeling sad after drinking heavily for a day or two (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=254296)

DMACM 11-06-2006 11:34 PM

Feeling sad after drinking heavily for a day or two

Over my college years I noticed this strange phenomenon. I would go out drinking often on weekends. Then on the following Sunday I would feel depressed. This could be explained that I was just sad cause the party was over but it seems to always follow heavy drinking. Also it wasnt strictly on the weekends if I happened to drink heavily mid week it would happen then too.

I have begun to wonder if this might be a chemical effect from the drug on my brain. I havent found any research that supports this though on google. Has anyone else had a similar experience to this?

Jasper109 11-06-2006 11:37 PM

Re: Feeling sad after drinking heavily for a day or two

You didn't know alcohol was a depressant?

guids 11-06-2006 11:48 PM

I get this too, once in a great while, its kind of a nice sad though, not a real one, I also get really punch drunk happy moreso. If I could have a constant punch drunk happy hangover, id be the funniest person alive, as it puts me on my game.

DMACM 11-06-2006 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You didn't know alcohol was a depressant?

[/ QUOTE ]

I did. But what does that mean? I thought it was an acute affect that meant your brain waves were slowed down while you were drinking. I am talking about a "delayed after effect."

gezuz 11-06-2006 11:49 PM

heh, I have exactly the opposite. I'm immensely happy to get up at 12 and reminisce about the night we just had with roommates and then go get breakfast. And having nothing to do on Sundays never hurts.

LuckOfTheDraw 11-06-2006 11:51 PM

The brain can affect the body and the body can affect the brain. Alcohol harms your body, in turn negatively affecting your brain. I think it's that simple. Though, these are really just an amateur's conjectures.

The Stranger 11-06-2006 11:53 PM

just smoke a joint. it'll all be okay.

His Boy Elroy 11-07-2006 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
heh, I have exactly the opposite. I'm immensely happy to get up at 12 and reminisce about the night we just had with roommates and then go get breakfast. And having nothing to do on Sundays never hurts.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is my favorite thing in the world.

MuresanForMVP 11-07-2006 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is my favorite thing in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think OP means after a more extended period of heavy drinking, not just a friday night. When I feel that way I decide it's because I realize just how big of a waste I've become when I do nothing but drink heavily.

troymclur 11-07-2006 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I get this too, once in a great while, its kind of a nice sad though, not a real one, I also get really punch drunk happy moreso. If I could have a constant punch drunk happy hangover, id be the funniest person alive, as it puts me on my game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny. I'm the same way. After a night or two of heavy drinking, i'm put in an odd state that is a combination of meloncholy/witty/laid-back/retrospective. And the result is that i get nonchalantly flirty as hell and just on point with gaming the female population. I also get up extremely early, with no fuss.

My theory is that you're still feeling the effects of the alcohol, but combined with a certain distance from the last act and some sleep in between, so you're thrown off your balance and you're in a kinda conscious limbo.