Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   AKs shoving preflop, is this standard? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=533554)

STARSCREAM. 10-29-2007 12:14 AM

AKs shoving preflop, is this standard?

Villian in this hand was running like 14/7/1, I didn't really know how to react to his 3bet. Calling is horrible, folding seems too weak, 4betting pot is worthless since I have to call if he shoves, so how do you all feel about shoving here?

The only other option I can see is 4bettin smaller and folding to a shove, but I don't know....

I've should be viewed as a somewhat unknown unless villian also has datamined stats on me. Since that's how I have stats on him.

Full Tilt Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

Hero (BTN): $49.25
SB: $55.15
BB: $39.30
UTG: $39.75
CO: $128.45

Pre-Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BTN)
2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="red">SB raises to $7</font>, BB folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $49.25 and is All-In</font>

rzweig 10-29-2007 12:16 AM

Re: AKs shoving preflop, is this standard?

I do this often at 100nl but its definatly a high variance play.

vixticator 10-29-2007 12:21 AM

Seems fine to me for 100bb. You have quite a bit of FE, if he's capable of laying down something like 99-QQ, etc. Since with AA/KK you might want to 4bet more like $25 I'd do that here too. Obviously not folding to shove once commit that much.

STARSCREAM. 10-29-2007 12:24 AM

For the record, I shove AA, KK and QQ here fairly often. Being an unknown to the villian though he wouldn't know that.

I think villian is capable of folding JJ or less, but not QQ+ or AKs. Then again the only thing that would lead me to believe this is that this seems to be the most common ranges of 50NL players.

vixticator 10-29-2007 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For the record, I shove AA, KK and QQ here fairly often. Being an unknown to the villian though he wouldn't know that.

[/ QUOTE ]I do too. Recently a few people said this was probably a mistake. It was definitely standard in 5nl and 10nl, maybe not as much in 25nl or 50nl... too many folding stations.

whyzze 10-29-2007 12:42 AM

on the shove topic...people do 5bet bluff, and people do fold to 5bets...so 4betting can be good.

when a 14/7 3bets you are a flip at best unless you have been abusing him.

So is this standard? kind of.

EMc 10-29-2007 12:56 AM

Part of the equity of this play is keeping the high end of your range (AA, KK) played the same as the AK. I shove them often.

Hail Eris 10-29-2007 01:21 AM

I just fold vs a nit until I start feeling that he's opened up his range. 4bet/folding is much worse than calling, btw. Calling with AKs is fine when you have position.

I always 4bet smallish with AK/KK/AA. It allows some to people delude themselves into thinking that they have FE and it balances well when you 4bet light. You really can't 4bet light if you're going to 4bet-shove the top of your range.

Bluegrassplayer 10-29-2007 01:33 AM

I don't see why just calling here is so bad.