Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Student Life (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   The Longest Paper you've written in the shortest amount of time (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=263466)

schundler 11-18-2006 10:19 PM

The Longest Paper you\'ve written in the shortest amount of time

What's the most you've written in your college career in a one-day or two-day period? Ten pages? Twenty pages? Five essays?

stories appreciated

theben 11-18-2006 10:30 PM

Re: The Longest Paper you\'ve written in the shortest amount of time

although i did research, number crunching, planning, etc, in advance, I did not start writing the paper until 3-4 days before the due date. the report ended up being about 40 pages long. (facilities design class)

XxGodJrxX 11-18-2006 11:19 PM

15 pages. Around 3 hours. Got an A.

thedustbustr 11-18-2006 11:21 PM

one or two day period? weak.

over the two day period starting this morning and ending monday morning, i have to have written a 15 page lab report (hardcore nonbullshitable engineering, but diagrams take up a third of the space) (haven't started), a 10 page engineering design document for a hypothetical project which I have to give an oral presentation on monday afternoon (havent started), read a [censored] for an operating systems test (have not been to class since last test and missed a pop quiz so i need to do well), as well as write Blackjack in java for algs III (have started the GUI but have virtually zero java experience so its slow).

i can and have pulled 6 pages an hour for a bullshitable humanities course without having done the reading. papers should be measured in hours, not days.

edit: all the while maintaining a 3.9 gpa.

thedustbustr 11-18-2006 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
that's more like it.

schundler 11-18-2006 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have 15 pages to write, although I also have to do a little reading while/before I'm writing, and split between two essays (10 pager and 5er). I"m starting now, o/u on when I'll finish both of them? Be happy to take like a $10 prop bet to motivate myself, anyone interested?

schundler 11-19-2006 12:08 AM

anyone...?

thedustbustr 11-19-2006 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have 15 pages to write, although I also have to do a little reading while/before I'm writing, and split between two essays (10 pager and 5er). I"m starting now, o/u on when I'll finish both of them? Be happy to take like a $10 prop bet to motivate myself, anyone interested?

[/ QUOTE ]
set the line. i will chose a side for $10 stars money in the next 20 minutes if you respond before i go out.

Reef 11-19-2006 12:33 AM

500 words + 13 page reading for the paper at same time, 20 mins. Got an A.

schundler 11-19-2006 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
set the line. i will chose a side for $10 stars money in the next 20 minutes if you respond before i go out.

[/ QUOTE ]

k, how about by 5 pm tomorrow for both of them?

keep in mind
-neither is easily bs-able. require knowledge of subject/books, and I still have to read/review 100+ pages of reading for parts of the paper
-i don't plan on rushing like a maniac bc I want them to be good, but I do want to finish asap so I can do other stuff

stars $ is cool

thedustbustr 11-19-2006 12:51 AM

how about, I bet you $10 that you can't finish both by 5:00 am? you post both papers by 5:00 am est (y ou have 5 hours) and i stars you $10.

thats a bad deal for you, my sleep is worth more than that lol. this is hard to organize fairly.

schundler 11-19-2006 12:55 AM

yeah it is hard to organize fairly.

how about this: I have to write 10 out of the 15 pages by 5pm tomorrow, but you get odds since it shouldn't be that hard for me to do.

If I'm too lazy to do 10 pages by then you get $10. If I do it, I get $3.

ski 11-19-2006 01:14 AM

you guys own me at this.

10 pages 6 hours is my record. I forgot what I was doing until 4 am but I remember it wasn't academic.

Wrote it 4am-10am for a 10:30 class.

Got an A on it.

thedustbustr 11-19-2006 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

how about this: I have to write 10 out of the 15 pages by 5pm tomorrow, but you get odds since it shouldn't be that hard for me to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol ok gogogogogog

thedustbustr 11-19-2006 01:20 AM

i will ship u my $3 tomorrow bc you should win this ez

Dazarath 11-19-2006 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you guys own me at this.

[/ QUOTE ]
Lol, I'm the most owned. I'm thinking mine would be around 5 pages, 3 hours. Yeah, I suck at writing.

MoreGentilythanU 11-19-2006 02:05 AM

he he my thesis was about 40 pages and I started actually writing it 2 days before it was due. Though alot of the material that went into it had prepared previously. Thanks to redbull I graduated with honors(in physics too, which is why i had to drink like 40 redbulls that 2 day period)!

thedustbustr 11-19-2006 03:36 AM

i think for a physics paper my page/hour would be closer to 2 (assuming dense material). i think on the 20th hour, my rate would be about .66

XxGodJrxX 11-19-2006 03:50 AM

Majoring in Poli Sci has necessitated the writing of many papers, so I have gotten decent at writing at this point. I personally don't do much preparation for my papers. I just look through my class notes and through the sources and write away. The fact that I can get away with doing so little work and with so little preparation goes to prove what a useless major Political Science really is.

Split Suit 11-19-2006 04:23 AM

did my friends 5page midterm in 1:15. i got him a B on it...(mind u, mine was an A...he was an idiot and i had to write the paper accordingly)

and the $50 for that was nice too. anyone else need a paper done?

thedustbustr 11-19-2006 12:53 PM

em2 does haha

Burdzthewurd 11-19-2006 01:52 PM

8 pages with research/sourcing in 3 1/2 hours freshman year, where did my efficiency go [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Cornell Fiji 11-19-2006 02:21 PM

35 short papers (mostly reading response type things, not analytical at all)

It was a whole semesters worth of work, we were supposed to do a reading and write a paper after each class.

I did all of the readings and wrote 110 pages in 18 straight hours of work (11 red bulls drank.) I handed in the portfolio 30 minutes late but it was accepted for full credit.

It was a pass fail class. I passed.

Bonus: 3 hours after I wrote these papers I had an exam for a class that I had not attended nor had I done any of the readings for (law class.) I studied for 15 minutes on no sleep and got the class avg.

lippy 11-19-2006 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously a creative writing class. That paper would be around 4000 words in 180 minutes ~ 20 words per minute. There is NO way you did an academic paper (source citation, etc) in that amount of time. None.

[ QUOTE ]
35 short papers (mostly reading response type things, not analytical at all)

It was a whole semesters worth of work, we were supposed to do a reading and write a paper after each class.

I did all of the readings and wrote 110 pages in 18 straight hours of work (11 red bulls drank.) I handed in the portfolio 30 minutes late but it was accepted for full credit.

It was a pass fail class. I passed.

Bonus: 3 hours after I wrote these papers I had an exam for a class that I had not attended nor had I done any of the readings for (law class.) I studied for 15 minutes on no sleep and got the class avg.

[/ QUOTE ]

110 pages? That is around 330,000 words. We'll say they were small pages or something, so 200,000 words.

200,000 / 18 (hours you spent) / 60 (minutes in an hours) = 185 words per minute = you're full of [censored].

For a freshmen history writing intensive class I had an 7-page paper due at 11AM on a Monday. I decided to visit a friend at a different school instead of writing it. I got home Sunday at 4PM, slept until 1AM and wrote for about 9 hours straight, getting done at 8AM. My works cited was 1.5 pages and my paper ended up being 9 pages long. I definitely got an A.

thedustbustr 11-19-2006 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
T-minus 26 minutes

mik37 11-19-2006 07:17 PM

4 hours 10 pages (A-) and 1 hour 5 pages (A).

Al6Jets18 11-19-2006 07:38 PM

My best is reading a 400 page book and writing a 10 page paper about the Peloponnesian War and comparing Pericles and Archidamus.

Start time (book): 4:00 pm
Start time (paper): 10:30 pm
Sleep time: 12-1:30 and 5:30-7:30
Due time: 7:45 am

Not great, but not bad.

My personal best in 7th grade was doing a project we had for 2 months in the lunch period 2 periods before it was due, but obviously middle school is too easy to be counted.

Cornell Fiji 11-19-2006 08:51 PM

110 pages? That is around 330,000 words. We'll say they were small pages or something, so 200,000 words.

200,000 / 18 (hours you spent) / 60 (minutes in an hours) = 185 words per minute = you're full of [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

I just went back to the documents out of curiosity.

Because some of the documents were double spaced and others were not, several were written in outline format, and because it was several short assignments that ran 2.5 pages or so and were printed on 3 pages of paper (hence 3 pages) I averaged 300 words per page over the small sample of documents that I just pulled up.

300 words per page * 110 pages = 33,000 words.

18 hours * 60 minutes = 1080 minutes.

This comes out to a mere 30.5 words per minute. Which for someone who is inundated by writing assignments is not an impossible task (although it definitely was not easy.)

This is much less than your estimate of 185 wpm so I went back to your calculations only to discover that you are quite bad at math.

-Steve

edit: Why would I possibly lie about something like this? To prove my poor discipline and time management skills?

Salerosa 11-20-2006 01:45 AM

I once wrote 18 pages on Descartes in < 4 hours and got an A-.

I literally turned it in at the last second...the TA was collecting the papers from my professor's box as I ran up.

Shenlong 11-20-2006 03:46 AM

15 pages in a night, probably around 5 hours. I think from 2-7, woke up out of a deep sleep all of a sudden remembering that I had a paper due the next day.

Research paper for a history class. It was for high school, so the material wasn't really hard, but the teacher was a stickler for correctly citing things, and was known to take books out from libraries and look up your citations to see if you were bullshitting or not.

Add in a chewing-out by my mom when she woke up at around 3:30 and saw me sitting there typing/passing out on the keyboard, drinking coffee from the pot. That took up a good 45 minutes right there.

bigt2k4 11-20-2006 05:23 PM

10 page research essay last year.
Got the books for it on Saturday night after the worst hangover of my life during the day. Read the books throughout the day, but took a break during the Super Bowl.
Started @ 1230am after the Super Bowl, finished @ 11am which included a trip to the gas station to buy red bull. Due by 2pm , handed her in @ 1 and then slept for 2 hours, woke up and watched Canada lose to Russia in the Olympics and then slept for 8 hours, woke up @ 1am, then went back to sleep for another 8 hours @ 3am.

Split Suit 11-20-2006 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
em2 does haha

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. EM2's paper was 7 pages, and i gotit done in ruffly 2.5hrs. not bad, tho hard to stay within the page limitation

Weir 11-21-2006 03:00 AM

18 pages
~6 hours
ship the A

classicist 11-21-2006 10:36 AM

22 pages in 24 hours including research for an architectural history paper - best thing I've ever written (A).

It just took me 9 months to write a 52 page MA thesis - lame.

jkamowitz 11-21-2006 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
15 pages. Around 3 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is about my limit.

Guyon 11-21-2006 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
18 pages
~6 hours
ship the A

[/ QUOTE ]

Bucket! Mine was a senior level biological research paper and included research from an actual library (which I severely hate using). I became so desperate that instead of waiting for the copy machines, I just shredded the pages from the journals and scotch taped them back into the stacks after I was finished with them (Saved a lot on copies too...) I do not recommend this, as it is reprehensible, but desperation is a stinky cologne.

While we are on the subject, I write papers for students who procrastinate, are lazy, or are short of time. For a fee, grades and anonymity are guaranteed! I've written for several 2+2ers, and I've written well over 300 original papers thus far.

nowags 11-21-2006 05:26 PM

12 page in-class essay. 1.5 hours. think i got an A, maybe a B. did good at any rate.

Barrin6 11-21-2006 05:34 PM

When you guys are talking in term of page amount, is it double spaced 12 font times new roman?

ShakeZula06 11-21-2006 10:02 PM

Jeez some of you guys are crazy. Last night around 1am I remembered I had a 3-5 page paper due the following moring about an interview with someone I haven't done yet. Made up the interview and got in 3 1/2 pages in an hour an half.

nuggetz87 11-21-2006 10:39 PM

wtf...it takes me like all day to write 5 pages. i usually write like 1 paragraph and then read 2+2 and then talk on aim then read the assignment again then right another 2 sentences and then play poker and tell myself i'll do the rest later. then eventually when it gets really late i force myself to crack down and do it.