Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   My "Political Philosophy" (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=506322)

David Sklansky 09-21-2007 04:17 PM

My \"Political Philosophy\"

If you want to call it that. Someone else will tell me what the name of it is as I doubt it is original. It's based on three things.

1. Different people want different things. Some wnat the feeling heroin gives them. Some enjoy seeing a child smile. Or Gary Carson frown. Or hitting a home run. And they put different values on it.

2. There are two good reasons to not mindlessly seek what you want the most. One is that there may be immediate downsides to doing this. Physical injuries, legal punishments, punishments from God if you believe in him, or for some, a sense of discomfort because they believe that seeking certain pleasures don't fit into their own "principles". Either because the pleasure is "immoral" to them or the methods to attain it are. A second reason to consider eschewing instant rewards would be if that path reduces the chances of getting rewards in the future. However when making that calculation it is important to realize that a bird in the hand is often worth two in the bush. The future rewards might not show up. Or you might die. Or you might not enjoy them as much at a more advanced age.

3. Once you have figured out yourself and your goals using the precepts above, you then need to know one last thing. Life is a poker game.

dknightx 09-21-2007 04:19 PM

Re: My \"Political Philosophy\"

and women are the rake, preach it!

but seriously, hope this doesnt turn into a thread about absolute morality.

hitch1978 09-21-2007 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2. There are two good reasons to not mindlessly seek what you want the most. One is that there may be immediate downsides to doing this. ....... legal punishments,

[/ QUOTE ]

This is more of a life philosophy, no? How can it be a political philosophy when you don't state your political thoughts that would have a massive bearing on said philosophy?

David Sklansky 09-21-2007 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
2. There are two good reasons to not mindlessly seek what you want the most. One is that there may be immediate downsides to doing this. ....... legal punishments,

[/ QUOTE ]

This is more of a life philosophy, no? How can it be a political philosophy when you don't state your political thoughts that would have a massive bearing on said philosophy?

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have said that this is what political philosophy should be based on.

luckyme 09-21-2007 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have said that this is what political philosophy should be based on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean in the sense that each person should be able to acheive 1,2,3 as much as possible in a proper political setting?

luckyme

hitch1978 09-21-2007 04:34 PM

Do you mean that if the 1) 2) and 3) were what was thought of, AND ALL THAT WAS THOUGHT OF, by politicians, that would create a perfect political state?

chezlaw 09-21-2007 04:39 PM

Another vote for the hedonist party. good man.

chez

Nielsio 09-21-2007 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to call it that. Someone else will tell me what the name of it is as I doubt it is original. It's based on three things.

1. Different people want different things. Some wnat the feeling heroin gives them. Some enjoy seeing a child smile. Or Gary Carson frown. Or hitting a home run. And they put different values on it.

2. There are two good reasons to not mindlessly seek what you want the most. One is that there may be immediate downsides to doing this. Physical injuries, legal punishments, punishments from God if you believe in him, or for some, a sense of discomfort because they believe that seeking certain pleasures don't fit into their own "principles". Either because the pleasure is "immoral" to them or the methods to attain it are. A second reason to consider eschewing instant rewards would be if that path reduces the chances of getting rewards in the future. However when making that calculation it is important to realize that a bird in the hand is often worth two in the bush. The future rewards might not show up. Or you might die. Or you might not enjoy them as much at a more advanced age.

3. Once you have figured out yourself and your goals using the precepts above, you then need to know one last thing. Life is a poker game.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like a voluntaryist to me. amirite?

billygrippo 09-21-2007 06:42 PM

life is a monopoly game

David Sklansky 09-21-2007 06:44 PM

I haven't thought through the implications. But I should add this. Some desires cause trouble. And you would be personally better off if you didn't have them. So if therapy could change things you should seek it out. Get help if little girls turn you on. Or if bare feet don't.