Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Podcasts? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=48246)

ThreeBeers 02-27-2006 09:57 PM

Podcasts?

Apart from the pod cast on Card Player (with Mike M.) are there any others worth investigating?

ThreeBeers

loyalguard 02-28-2006 07:09 AM

Re: Podcasts?

These are the ones I listen to. The first is the best, the rest aren't in rank order per se.

Rounders The Poker show is probably the best. Two guys from Vancouver do a weekly one radio show that gets podcasted. It's a good mix of a poker pro and a (poker)amateur host doing their thing. Since this is podast of an actual radio broadcast, it is very well produced and the hosts know how to talk to listeners. They have top quality interviews with the pros and other notables (too many to list), well-rounded content: strategy (Limit and NL), WSOP/WPT, major poker news, trip reports, etc. This is the best one out there as far as I'm concerned.

The Ante Up Poker Podcast is okish. These are two guys from Tampa/St.Pete who work for the Tampa Bay Times I believe (at least one of them does) who play in a lot of the Fla. race-track tourneys and online. Mostly NL strategy and tips, major poker news summaries, trip reports. They are just starting to get some named pros for interviews. Their understanding and communication of strategy concepts can be off sometimes so for someone in the know it can get annoying.

Poker Diagram is basically a weekly podcast of two guys from London who podcast running commentaries of SNGs, MTT's (edited for time), and some other games. One plays and the other comments. Time between hands is filled with strategy discussion and the like. They also do listener tournaments. No other real content except for the occasional strategy discussion, hand of the week, etc.

I do not listen regularly but I tried the My Sports Radio Poker Podcast a couple of times but it hurt my hears. I didn't find the host all that knowledgable and the organization of the podcasts were also pretty bad.

AcesFull 03-01-2006 01:41 AM

Hi Loyalguard,

Where can I find these various podcasts that you reviewed? That "Rounders the Poker Show" sounds like a good radio show about poker. I'll probably check out some of the other ones too. Thanks for the great review.

MicroBob 03-01-2006 01:52 AM

Is the Vancouver one the same as the one that Tuco does?

Fallen Hero 03-01-2006 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Loyalguard,

Where can I find these various podcasts that you reviewed? That "Rounders the Poker Show" sounds like a good radio show about poker. I'll probably check out some of the other ones too. Thanks for the great review.

[/ QUOTE ]

www.google.com

Sinochick 03-01-2006 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Loyalguard,

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the link to Rounders, the Poker Show:

http://www.bigpoker.ca/

All their previous episodes are archived on this site.

I live in Vancouver and listen to them every sunday nite on the radio.

Tuco 03-01-2006 04:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Rounders The Poker show is probably the best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, someone is listening! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Very kind of you. It's actually alot of fun to do. Thinking of buying the show from the station and syndicating. Not sure what the response from radio stations in the USA would be to a Canadian show, though.

Microbob used to be in TV/Radio IIRC. Any thoughts on this Bob?

Tuco.

MicroBob 03-01-2006 05:51 AM

My knowledge of syndication and stuff like that is close to nil.

There's a gambling show in Memphis on an AM station on Saturday mornings I think. But I'm pretty sure they buy the time..and then use it to sell their books on how to beat craps or something like that.

There's a lot of programming options so I'm just not sure radio-stations would be jumping through hoops to have you on.
Again though, I really don't know.
And the fact that you've been as successful as you have would probably be something I would not have predicted.

In other news, I do still intend to get my website up with my poker-themed pod-cast running semi-irregularly.
It will also be a text-blog as well (as I have pretty much ignored my current blog).

I've been pretty distracted with other stuff lately but I do intend to get this podcast thing going at some point (when I figure out what the hell i'm doing) and hopefully I won't completely suck.

I should really listen to Tuco's show sometime. Been meaning to but never got around to it.

loyalguard 03-01-2006 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Rounders The Poker show is probably the best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, someone is listening! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tuco-

I never looked at your profile before so I didn't realize it was your show. Not to further stroke you, but yours is the only podcast that I actively anticipate.

I can't speak for radio biz, but from a listener's perspective I think your show could syndicate very well. I think your only constraint might be the length of the show in that it is hard to find a one hour time slot except re-broadcast during overnight shifts. But, it sounds like to me that you could easily expand the content of your show since it seems that the hour goes by quite quickly.

I think the other Canadian aspects of your show (highlighting Canadian poker rooms and success of prominent Canadian players) make it unique and would also work well in a wider U.S. market. I know it has motivated me to plan a ski/poker vacation next year to your neck of the woods.

Anyway...great show, keep it up, and good luck!

loyalguard 03-01-2006 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Loyalguard,

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have iTunes, just type "poker" in the search box and all of these podcasts will come up. If you don't use iTunes then as was also stated, you can find all the websites for each podcast through google and subscribe therein.