Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Accidentally folding the nut flush (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=532204)

Nichlemn 10-26-2007 09:27 PM

Accidentally folding the nut flush

I can't get the hand history for this (which would be nice so I could be assured that it actually happened like it did), but it went roughly like this:

NLHE, limped multiway pot. I have A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Flop comes A high with two hearts. Checked around, I bet, someone calls (I think I'm in position).
Turn comes another A. I bet again, call.
River comes the third heart. The person bets. I think for a little bit and fold, thinking I'm at best a split versus Ace rag, and losing to a higher Ace or a flush.

However, I somehow manage to completely miss the fact I have the nut flush. I'm not the sort of person to misread my hand - I don't think I've ever not noticed having a hand before. I clearly noticed the suits given that I was betting my TP + flush draw, and was concerned about flush board on the river. But a flush of my own does not occur to me, and I end up folding to someone who very likely had a lower flush or trips.

I think it's to do with turning trips. It shifted my focus entirely to the made hand, allowing me to sit there on the river with three hearts on the board and two in hand and still thinking all I had was trips. The fact that having trips and a flush at the same time is unusual in Hold'em may have contributed. Also the fact I was betting and my opponent was calling may have subconciously made me think that only I had a made hand and my opponent had a draw.

Any thoughts?

chesspain 10-26-2007 11:57 PM

Re: Accidentally folding the nut flush

Dude, you misread your hand...get over it.

remski 10-27-2007 12:44 PM

he prolly had a boat anyway. good fold imo.

choccypie 10-27-2007 04:15 PM

I think you're overthinking the fact you simply misread your hand. Take a break, enable 4 colour deck.

Jamougha 10-27-2007 05:25 PM

Everyone point at OP and laugh now.

Seriously I misread my hand all the time. I keep getting all in with my straight and then wondering why the pot is shipped to the other guy.

Nichlemn 10-28-2007 10:47 PM

I know I misread my hand. The question is, does have a second made hand make it that much more likely to misread the full value?

At least I don't play Omaha.

Gullanian 10-28-2007 10:55 PM

I check the absolute nuts when I'm last to act on the river sometimes just for fun.

Johnes Benjamin 10-29-2007 04:01 AM

I folded a royal flush a few weeks ago. Posted it in BBV, you can check it out to put things in perspective

ROcketRO 10-29-2007 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone point at OP and laugh now.

Seriously I misread my hand all the time. I keep getting all in with my straight and then wondering why the pot is shipped to the other guy.

[/ QUOTE ]
glad i'm not the only one who sees straights.

Albert Moulton 11-04-2007 11:38 AM

Most sites have a 4-color deck option. Use it. Even though mis-reading a hand doesn't happen often, it can be expensive. So, if the diamonds are blue, the hearts are red, the clubs are green, and the spades are black, you will vary rarely, if ever, mis-read the suits.