Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   waiting for the river (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=399220)

jba 05-09-2007 03:40 PM

waiting for the river

this was a live, full hand but I think it's better suited for here because it's a blind battle.

villain in this hand is a winning live pro that I haven't played with in a while because I think he moved or something. He's notorious for playing too fast, but if he played online he really wouldn't be. We have a lot of history and he thinks I'm always trying to outplay him and I guess I often think the same thing, but I think it doesn't happen a ton. I've 3bet him otb in a resteal situation with KJo, and once with KQo from the SB against his MP raise - seemed to have pissed him off both times. I once raised AQ from EP, he cold calls in LP, called my flop and turn bets on an ace high board. I sexy the river and he 3bet with king high. so there's some history.

I open from the CO with AKo, he calls in the BB. his range here is huge but not stuff like T3o.

flop AQ2r
he checks and calls

turn 9 bringing a flush draw
he check raises, I call

river 3 no flush
he bets, I raise. if he 3bets it's a set or AQ very closely approaching 100% of the time.

danzasmack 05-09-2007 03:43 PM

Re: waiting for the river

"if he 3bets it's a set or AQ very closely approaching 100% of the time."

I don't get it. You played the AQ hand earlier and he seemed to play back at you a lot. What made that call easier than this one? Was it the turn play? Based on the history it seems like folding vs. this player is a bad idea.

yourface 05-09-2007 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I once raised AQ from EP, he cold calls in LP, called my flop and turn bets on an ace high board. I sexy the river and he 3bet with king high.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
if he 3bets it's a set or AQ very closely approaching 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

this doesn't make sense to me.

if you raise him you need to call a 3bet imo. he's not going to think that tre improved your hand and based on your read he could make a play.

jba 05-09-2007 04:10 PM

the sexy and the screwplay are something that I've pretty much never seen anyone do in this game (and in fact I think it's usually a bad play and I've only done it a few times). So on the hand where I sexied him he probably looked at it as something that no one ever does with a big ace, and was very possibly a frustrated KK/QQ/JJ. I've thought about that hand a lot and I'm pretty sure he wasn't trying to push me off a big ace there.

in the hand in the OP it looks almost exactly like aces up or a monster or a bluff. no one ever folds top pair in these games and I really don't expect him to think that I will. who knows.

mostly my question is river raise vs. turn 3bet.

yourface 05-09-2007 04:17 PM

so make up a range for him and see if you're ahead enough of the time. if you feel confident folding to a 3bet you only need to be best >50% of the time for a raise to have value. would you say his range here is a pair of aces+?

ILOVEPOKER929 05-09-2007 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this was a live, full hand but I think it's better suited for here because it's a blind battle.

villain in this hand is a winning live pro that I haven't played with in a while because I think he moved or something. He's notorious for playing too fast, but if he played online he really wouldn't be. We have a lot of history and he thinks I'm always trying to outplay him and I guess I often think the same thing, but I think it doesn't happen a ton. I've 3bet him otb in a resteal situation with KJo, and once with KQo from the SB against his MP raise - seemed to have pissed him off both times. I once raised AQ from EP, he cold calls in LP, called my flop and turn bets on an ace high board. I sexy the river and he 3bet with king high. so there's some history.

I open from the CO with AKo, he calls in the BB. his range here is huge but not stuff like T3o.

flop AQ2r
he checks and calls

turn 9 bringing a flush draw
he check raises, I call

river 3 no flush
he bets, I raise. if he 3bets it's a set or AQ very closely approaching 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think youre working too hard to try to own this guy Jba. I think you should just call the river. River raise is too thin IMO. If this guy is truly a winning pro, that river raise cannot be profitable.

ILOVEPOKER929 05-09-2007 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

mostly my question is river raise vs. turn 3bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wtf? How about do neither. Just call down once check/raised on the turn. This guy is not retarded.

PokerSparky 05-09-2007 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just call down once check/raised on the turn. This guy is not retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]