Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   A8 turn raise vs 2+2 (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=542083)

KitCloudkicker 11-09-2007 11:07 AM

A8 turn raise vs 2+2

villain in this hand is another 2+2 (not SS). is playing solid and is currently steamrolling the table.

It folds to me in CO and open A8o. he defends BB.

Flop is A75 two tone. He checks I bet he CR I call.

Turn 6 (no flush). He bets I raise

Tugg 11-09-2007 12:06 PM

Re: A8 turn raise vs 2+2

I like it. I would only do it if you felt like a 3 bet was unlikely,and there was a chance he would fold.I'd take the free showdown if offered.

Aces McGee 11-09-2007 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there was a chance he would fold

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you expect him to fold?

-McGee

KitCloudkicker 11-09-2007 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like it. I would only do it if you felt like a 3 bet was unlikely,and there was a chance he would fold.I'd take the free showdown if offered.

[/ QUOTE ]

i didnt do it as a bluff

Tugg 11-09-2007 12:41 PM

I guess a better way to say what I'm thinking is that I like the bet because there's 2 draws on the board and if your ahead it charges him to draw. I'd also like him to fold a hand like AT for fear of a bigger A(which the more I think about it won't happen).If the river is a blank and he doesn't bet the river, I don't see what he would call me with that I can beat so I would check behind.

Grease 11-09-2007 01:56 PM

Part of me loves it, part of me is meh. The thing is, I think we're ahead here a ton, but at the same time, we shut him out and he'll fold when we're ahead. Also, if somehow we're behind, he'll 3-bet or show down always.

I know that you realize that this raise is 100% for value, but against a good playing 2p2er, I'm not sure he'll pay off with a hand that's at least as good as ours. Basically, if he has A2, A3 or A4, we win, but any other time, we're probably behind or tied. I know we have a straight draw as well, but do you think he'll 3-bang an 8 and a FD or just a good FD? If he's that tricky, I would just call down since he'll probably bet the river no matter what, and you'll extract max value without having to fold on the river (I assume if he 3 bangs and the river blanks, you fold?)

However, if he's likely to calldown light because it's a blind steal and you're 2p2, then I really love it.

Lanzalot 11-09-2007 03:11 PM

Very strong turn move. The best of your 3 options by far unless he has air and you would profit by letting him bluff.

But just wondering, if he 3-towns you do you call a river bet UI?

James. 11-09-2007 03:40 PM

he didn't 3bet pf, right? you said "defends" his BB. that means simply calling pf i assume?

i'd 3bet the flop. he's paying off most any pair that way.

if i didn't, i would probably call the turn and raise the river(unless i weighted him more towards a draw and then i def. get the action in early). but mostly i 3bet the flop.

on a side note, this is a prime example of how smoothcalling pf from the BB with strong aces(AK/AQ/AJ) is a good way to crush TAGs and LAGs postflop in these steal spots.

KitCloudkicker 11-09-2007 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But just wondering, if he 3-towns you do you call a river bet UI?

[/ QUOTE ]

vs this particular player, who i doubt knows i am capable of making this move, no.

anyways yeah i guess i better explain my thinking.

imo this player's hand is weighted like 50% draw/30%ace/10%air/10% monster

when I pick up the OESD +top pair its simply a value raise vs much of his range. if i miss the OESD on the river i check behind as I doubt he ever calls with worse. and I make sure 2 bets go in if he decides to give up with betting a draw on the river.

the risks obviously are that i could get 3 bet or he could make his draw and donk the river and make me hate myself.