Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   anti-running bad strategy for 5/10 (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=206523)

Wynton 09-07-2006 02:26 PM

anti-running bad strategy for 5/10

Recently at 5/10, I've felt like there is a special neon sign over my avatar, advising everyone to raise me on later streets often because I am running bad. Just in case that sign really exists, what do you think about this strategy:

Every single time I am raised on the turn or river and don't have at least 2 pair, I fold, regardless of the opponent. If this happens 2-3 times at a table, I leave. That way I won't feel the need to call down out of the belief I'm being abused.

Forget whether this is the best strategy. Do you think I could win anything with this approach?

sharpie 09-07-2006 02:29 PM

Re: anti-running bad strategy for 5/10

I believe always folding less than 2 pair to anyone would cause you to run worse.

Changing tables on the other hand isn't a bad idea.

Scary_Tiger 09-07-2006 02:33 PM

Play better; playing worse sounds like a good way to extend a downswing.

jba 09-07-2006 02:35 PM

better yet, fold preflop.

Wynton 09-07-2006 02:39 PM

I don't want to play better. I just want to slow the bleeding.

Oops. I thought I was asking some kind of theoretical question, but it turns out to be a bad beat thread instead. Sorry about that.

Peter Harris 09-07-2006 02:46 PM

the theoretical question is poorly phrased, throwing away < than 2pr to "any player" when raised isn't great play, and you know it.

Leaving a juicy table because you're afraid of being the mark is also bad play.

Are we all running bad at the moment? you, me, waffle...

Bubbles 09-07-2006 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
And Bubbles. I just hit -300 BBs at Stars last night. (Which is why I moved back to Party, where I immediately booked a 50 BB win over 1k hands.) I hate Stars with a passion. I'm never leaving Party again.

milesdyson 09-07-2006 04:06 PM

-160bb, [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

elffaw 09-07-2006 04:17 PM

don't fold overpairs when raised on the turn [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

but I do agree with leaving a table if you feel you're getting gangbanged

philnewall 09-07-2006 04:22 PM

Or how about you make each decision based on a more complex variable...such as using the board/simple hand reading..

kapw7 09-07-2006 06:56 PM

When I have this problem I often run to the other extreme. I auto 3-bet the turn and lead on the river regardless of my hand value

duckman 09-07-2006 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I have this problem I often run to the other extreme. I auto 3-bet the turn and lead on the river regardless of my hand value

[/ QUOTE ]
I do this as well.
Whether this is tilt or legitmatelty managing your table image to show you aren't weak tight and won't be pushed around is open to debate. It is one of the best feelings in the world when you spike your TP on the river and value bet it.

kapw7 09-07-2006 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I do this as well.
Whether this is tilt or legitmatelty managing your table image to show you aren't weak tight and won't be pushed around is open to debate. It is one of the best feelings in the world when you spike your TP on the river and value bet it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I think there is some good strategic point there, but it's very dangerous since the combination with running bad can make you lose control very very easily.

NT! 09-07-2006 08:00 PM

You know, if you never bet, nobody can raise you.

NT

DMA 09-07-2006 08:24 PM

Sounds moronic.

Thorv 09-07-2006 09:56 PM

Unless I feel like there's a huge leak in my game, I continue playing the same way I always have when I'm on a huge downswing. This [censored] happens.

The only advantage I see in folding anything less than two pair is if you think your downswing/play is all in your head. If you feel like folding instead of getting beat and winning a few hands is going to help your mindset, thus helping your play, then go for it. Otherwise, this kind of play is just gonna shrink your bankroll.

Surf 09-08-2006 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You know, if you never bet, nobody can raise you.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Listen to the wise NL man.

Wynton, if you suspect players are starting to take shots at you then bet-folding lots of turns is a terrible idea. In most HU pots that don't go more than 3bets preflop it's worth more to induce a bluff on the river than eke a small amount of value on the turn, and saves your equity the times you would have bet-folded the winner.

Also, changing tables isn't a bad idea if you think you are *really* getting pounded but mixing up your play and adjusting appropriately should be sufficient, especially if you've got position on bad players.

Surf

LuckOfTheDraw 09-08-2006 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've lost with 6 flopped sets today, including AA and two QQs. But, I managed to walk away only down 10BB.