Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Heads Up Poker (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Help me adjust to big blind gets the button limcash (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=548729)

dboy23 11-18-2007 02:29 AM

Help me adjust to big blind gets the button limcash

to clarify, the game I need to adjust to is one where the SB acts first pf and postflop.

The most obvious adjustment to me would seem to be playing a lot tighter in the SB.

In a normal HU limit game I play raise/fold otb. Should I be limping the SB at all in this backwards structure?

I'm also thinking since the BB has position the whole hand I can 3bet people alot more on average.

Any other advice for this structure?

jay_shark 11-18-2007 12:34 PM

Re: Help me adjust to big blind gets the button limcash

In a structured game like limit hold em , the problem with having a raise or fold strategy oop is that you don't have any fold equity even when you do raise . In any case , I limp more often in situations where I'll be oop post-flop . So a hand like 10-9 may not necessarily be worth a raise pre-flop when oop .

Just to give you a little perspective . Greg Raymer has said in a past archive that he prefers to raise oop with hands that have an equity of 55% against a random hand .

Hands like : j-10 ,k-7, q-9 , etc .

However , you should be willing to raise pre-flop with some garbage hands to remain undetectable .

shat4brains 11-18-2007 04:50 PM

that is a dumb way to play hu

bbbushu 11-18-2007 05:33 PM

dboy looks like i didn't add it to my favorites (very strange) but i remember guruman writing an *excellent* post on this

YertleTurtle 11-18-2007 07:12 PM

So you want to tighten up in the SB by only playing your top 60% or so. Depending on your opponent's range from the SB you want to defend almost everything from the button (minimum top 80% against normal player).

I would only limp against the most passive of opponents but most of the time I'm raising or folding.

YT

yourface 11-18-2007 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
to clarify, the game I need to adjust to is one where the SB acts first pf and postflop.

The most obvious adjustment to me would seem to be playing a lot tighter in the SB.

In a normal HU limit game I play raise/fold otb. Should I be limping the SB at all in this backwards structure?

I'm also thinking since the BB has position the whole hand I can 3bet people alot more on average.

Any other advice for this structure?

[/ QUOTE ]

this structure tilts me so hard. it is just partypoker that uses it right? so dumb

jay_shark 11-18-2007 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
that is a dumb way to play hu

[/ QUOTE ]

Then what is the right play ?

Raising with junk when you'll be oop for the entire hand ?

You do realize that the structure Dboy is talking about is applicable to ring games when the bb has position over the sb .

mb6tour 11-18-2007 08:31 PM

I don't know much about limit but in NL if ur IP u should better call than 3bet PF. On the other hand OOP u should 3bet more to diminish the position advantage.

Can someone explain to me why limit is not like that?

dboy23 11-19-2007 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know much about limit but in NL if ur IP u should better call than 3bet PF. On the other hand OOP u should 3bet more to diminish the position advantage.

Can someone explain to me why limit is not like that?

[/ QUOTE ]

basically because no one gets respect in limit so 3bets pf aren't as effective in limit as NL especially when you are 3betting alot.

dboy23 11-19-2007 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
dboy looks like i didn't add it to my favorites (very strange) but i remember guruman writing an *excellent* post on this

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I remember a post about this too but the seach failed me. If anyone can help me find it I would love it.