Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   a theory on fat people and facial hair (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=75354)

Tony_P 03-31-2006 01:01 AM

a theory on fat people and facial hair

I've always felt that faces with beards tend to look thinner than clean-shaven faces. I was discussing this with a few other large-statured men, and we all feel that our faces appear thinner with facial hair than without, mostly because the hair covers up things like double chins.

The opinion among women, however, seems to be split. Some say it gives a thinner appearance, some say it doesn't and some say it varies from person to person. I've personally have more girls tell me I look better "scruffy".

What are your thoughts on this? I'd especially like to hear from the girls of oot.

Here is me clean shaven: (disregard the troll)

http://myspace-812.vo.llnwd.net/0034...47937812_m.jpg

Here is me today, with about 4 weeks of growth: (note: my hair is usually gelled back, and I never wear my glasses outside)

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2...o/ff670a85.jpg

Duff 03-31-2006 01:04 AM

Re: a theory on fat people and facial hair

For the love of god man, shave your face.

snagglepuss 03-31-2006 01:04 AM

i always assumed fat people had facial hair because they were too lazy to shave, just as they are too lazy to not be fat.

Fabian 03-31-2006 01:04 AM

First impression here in these picks is the beard makes you look thinner.

Note: I like the first pic better though.

gorie 03-31-2006 01:05 AM

from these 2 pics, u definitely look better and thinner in the first. 2nd looks a little slobbish

Tony_P 03-31-2006 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i always assumed fat people had facial hair because they were too lazy to shave, just as they are too lazy to not be fat.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's a possibility

hobbes9324 03-31-2006 01:07 AM

May be true some of the time.

OTOH, I had an aunt, god rest her soul, who I closely resembled - and she was an objectivly ugly woman.

Which I why I've had a beard since I was 15.......

MM MD

Tony_P 03-31-2006 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
from these 2 pics, u definitely look better and thinner in the first. 2nd looks a little slobbish

[/ QUOTE ]

really? what if you imagine the beard on me with me hair combed and a clean shirt?

whiskeytown 03-31-2006 01:08 AM

I concur 100% - I think I look better now -

RB

bisonbison 03-31-2006 01:08 AM

Ok, you and Dids are now on the health-watch list. Eat less, exercise more, for the love of god.

ElaineMonster 03-31-2006 01:08 AM

Yeah, the first one you look like a nice guy. The second one makes you look like a psycho killer. Probably just the fact that the 2nd was poor lighting in your bathroom and the first is in a public place. You also look older with the beard, which can be a good thing but, in my opinion is a bad thing.

astroglide 03-31-2006 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

gorie 03-31-2006 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

really? what if you imagine the beard on me with me hair combed and a clean shirt?

[/ QUOTE ]

i dunno. i'd have to see another picture, maybe that one is just a bad example.

WSUchica 03-31-2006 01:10 AM

I have personally always liked facial hair on guys, but between these two particular pictures I like the cleanshaven one more. I think it would be easier to judge if the pictures were of the same quality and your beard was nicely trimmed.

Tony_P 03-31-2006 01:11 AM

http://myspace-609.vo.llnwd.net/0010...06287609_m.jpg

this one is 4 years old...i dont know if it does much good ( weighted 40 lbs less too)

bisonbison 03-31-2006 01:12 AM

Lose weight dude, you could be a good looking guy.

kipin 03-31-2006 01:12 AM

Shave your face, it looks bad.

Blarg 03-31-2006 01:12 AM

I think it depends on the size of the double chin. Once you get so chunky that your head starts looking wider or your chin and jaw start to blend into your neck, the beard won't matter too much. But I think it can do a dramatic job at hiding a slight to moderate double chin.

But once you're real fat, you're not foolin' anybody.

Tony_P 03-31-2006 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, you and Dids are now on the health-watch list. Eat less, exercise more, for the love of god.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm easing myself onto a diet this week...hopefully

Blarg 03-31-2006 01:15 AM

Another thing -- the second pic makes you look like a terrorist.

KDawg 03-31-2006 01:16 AM

tony, I actually dig the beard. With the shorter hair cut, it gives u a differnt look in general. I say go with it and see what happens. I've had the same facial hair set up since I was a senior in HS and have gained weight in that time(I grew the burns down to my current length like 4 years ago).

edit: just noticed that you kinda slicked back the hair. Just cut the hair down to being really short if you really want to go with the quasi beard

gamblore99 03-31-2006 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya. I usually assume those that don't shave have kind of just said "I am not gonna get anyplay, may as well just give up" and stopped shaving.

Mitch Evans 03-31-2006 01:18 AM

I'm not sure you look thinner or not, but I think in the second pic you wouldn't be able to get through JFK without a hassle.

HubertCumberdale 03-31-2006 01:21 AM

You look much better clean shaven.

You could pass as an Italian gangster in the first picture, which is much better than passing yourself off as a Computer science nerd and/or Arab/Muslim as you are doing quite well in the second picture.

Roan 03-31-2006 01:22 AM

i think weak chins might be a confounding variable here

i would say that fat people have a disproportionate number of weak chins and much facial hair is grown to hide them

DarkForceRising 03-31-2006 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lose weight dude, you could be a BETTER looking guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Obviously, in terms of health and wanting to be the ultimate you, getting in contest shape is always the best option.

Nevertheless, clean shaven and well dressed, I am inclined to believe you are the kind of dude who can pull hot chicks in spite of being heavier. Some guys carry extra weight better than others and make it work for themselves. You appear to fit into this category. Skip the facial hair and play up the mob-look thing.

Soul Daddy 03-31-2006 01:23 AM

I agree that you look somewhat slobbish in the second picture, but I don't really think it has much to do with the beard. I kind of like it.

TxRedMan 03-31-2006 01:24 AM

edud, u deen ot evahs

Tony_P 03-31-2006 01:24 AM

"I am inclined to believe you are the kind of dude who can pull hot chicks in spite of being heavier."

Thanks. I don't know if it's that true, but I think I am rejected more often for my assholishness than my looks.

hedxcold 03-31-2006 01:25 AM

i think you look thinner in the first picture, only because you were thinner in the first picture. how much did you gain inbetween those 2 pictures?

edit - also, your eyebrows were cleaner in the first picture. that helped

Roan 03-31-2006 01:26 AM

by the way,

what did your surgeon say?

sorry for the off topic

Tony_P 03-31-2006 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think you look thinner in the first picture, only because you were thinner in the first picture. how much did you gain inbetween those 2 pictures?

[/ QUOTE ]

like 15 lbs

cold_cash 03-31-2006 01:26 AM

You should have made a poll.

I think you look way better without the beard.

I'm pulling for you on the diet.

Tony_P 03-31-2006 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
by the way,

what did your surgeon say?

sorry for the off topic

[/ QUOTE ]

the bleeding stopped, so he didn't touch it. I see him again next week.

mrcoughman 03-31-2006 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(disregard the troll)

[/ QUOTE ]
No way I'm disregarding a mother [censored] troll in a picture

Seriously dude WTF?

Tony_P 03-31-2006 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(disregard the troll)

[/ QUOTE ]
No way I'm disregarding a mother [censored] troll in a picture

Seriously dude WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]

he's Torvald the Hungry Troll. It has to do with a queer little inside joke my family has.

Tony_P 03-31-2006 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
tony, I actually dig the beard. With the shorter hair cut, it gives u a differnt look in general. I say go with it and see what happens. I've had the same facial hair set up since I was a senior in HS and have gained weight in that time(I grew the burns down to my current length like 4 years ago).

edit: just noticed that you kinda slicked back the hair. Just cut the hair down to being really short if you really want to go with the quasi beard

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually have the hair shorter.

BTW-I'm not sure I could picture you being clean shaven at all. It would be kinda creepy.

Tony_P 03-31-2006 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Another thing -- the second pic makes you look like a terrorist.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been told this in person as well. I did go through airport security really scruffy this summer, no problems though.

Soul Daddy 03-31-2006 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

like 15 lbs

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a crucial bit of information, methinks.

-Skeme- 03-31-2006 01:35 AM

I've drawn up a few sketches of various different styles and what you'd look like with them, Tony, I hope they help:

http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/1605/tony26fn.jpg

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/5167/tony37yi.jpg

http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/1144/tony16nz.jpg