Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Tales of the Grassroots: Ron Paul (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=557472)

ConstantineX 11-29-2007 07:23 PM

Tales of the Grassroots: Ron Paul

I just wanted to set up a thread where people could talk about local (not online) grassroots support coming out in favor of Ron Paul. Is the evangelism working, how prominent are the signs that he's gaining or losing ground, that sort of thing.

Personally, I've seen little Revolution stickers dotting our Campus billboards and more Ron Paul signs than I'd expected being so early in the campaign in a relatively unimportant state.

You guys?

hmkpoker 11-29-2007 07:37 PM

Re: Tales of the Grassroots: Ron Paul

Here in Raleigh NC, there are more signs for Ron Paul and any other candidate....by far. However, that might just be borodog's fault [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

He's doing pretty well with bumper stickers too though.

lehighguy 11-29-2007 08:55 PM

There were people sign waving near the mall on Black Friday, but my parents didn't have a clue who he was.

ATrebek 11-29-2007 09:42 PM

I drive across the river to Council Bluffs, IA once or twice a week to play cards. The only signs up are Ron Paul signs. I have yet to see a bumper sticker other than mine however.

ZeroPointMachine 11-29-2007 10:01 PM

We had 1500+, including one brothel owner, for the last rally at UNLV. Guess who made the national news.....

NeBlis 11-29-2007 10:55 PM

drove from East Point to down town ATL ( like 19 miles) 1st day w/ RP bumper sticker. 3 people blew horns and cheered. This trend has continued but not as often now.

Still every day I see a new sticker or sign today I saw 3 or 4

Anadrol 50 11-30-2007 12:34 AM

On RT 78 E in NJ (heading to NY), there is a banner hung on one of the overpasses...

Money2Burn 11-30-2007 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here in Raleigh NC, there are more signs for Ron Paul and any other candidate....by far. However, that might just be borodog's fault [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Clearly this is a result of yard-sign spamming by a few fringe wackos.

Money2Burn 11-30-2007 12:39 AM

I think there is a bilboard on I-75 between Tampa and Gainesville, haven't seen it personally, but someone mentioned it the other day. Honestly I haven't been seeing very much stuff around Gainesville or St. Augustine when I went home for Thanksgiving. It's a little disappointing.

ALawPoker 11-30-2007 02:12 AM

On Dec. 16 there's gonna be what sounds like a decent rally type event in Boston. Rand Paul will be speaking. Sounds like it should be a good time.

ConstantineX 11-30-2007 02:17 AM

Rand Paul? Freudian slip no doubt

ALawPoker 11-30-2007 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rand is his son.

In case you think I'm messing with you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rand_Paul#Family

JayTee 11-30-2007 02:32 AM

over/under on the number of people who show up and say "RAND Paul. Who the [censored] is RAND Paul"?

xorbie 11-30-2007 03:00 AM

I've seen a few signs here and there in Urbana, IL (U of IL campus), but not as many as I'd like. Gonna try to raise some awareness when I'm back there.

UlidEyes 11-30-2007 03:13 AM

I don't preach him, if that's what you mean by evangelism. I just bring him up in conversation. I'm not religious either, FWIW.

Anyway, I live in Des Moines and this is what I've seen for signs so far, that I remember. Yard signs: Hillary (2) Obama (2) Paul (1) Tancredo (1). Bumper stickers: Obama (6) Hillary (5) Edwards (2) Romney (1) Giuliani (1) Paul (1, my own) Huckabee (1). (lots of Bush and Kerry obv, they're a little slow here)

I've also heard from my politics professor that the "social conservatives have decided on a candidate, and that man is Mike Huckabee." So, caucuses should be interesting. I'm ready to battle.

illini43 11-30-2007 03:28 AM

xorbie, you are from CU? I'm at UIUC right now. I am proudly displaying my printed Ron Paul sign in my apt. window right now, and will put up the big one I ordered from the website when it gets here.

What will really help down here is if Obama leaves the Dem. race as I don't think too many people are super-high on Hillary.

Copernicus 11-30-2007 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't preach him, if that's what you mean by evangelism. I just bring him up in conversation. I'm not religious either, FWIW.

Anyway, I live in Des Moines and this is what I've seen for signs so far, that I remember. Yard signs: Hillary (2) Obama (2) Paul (1) Tancredo (1). Bumper stickers: Obama (6) Hillary (5) Edwards (2) Romney (1) Giuliani (1) Paul (1, my own) Huckabee (1). (lots of Bush and Kerry obv, they're a little slow here)

I've also heard from my politics professor that the "social conservatives have decided on a candidate, and that man is Mike Huckabee." So, caucuses should be interesting. I'm ready to battle.

[/ QUOTE ]

roflmao. Huckabee a social conservatives candidate. They have short memories. His record as guvna was as liberal as they come.

Scary_Tiger 11-30-2007 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

roflmao. Huckabee a social conservatives candidate. They have short memories. His record as guvna was as liberal as they come.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Huckabee could get away with it if it wasn't for his record on immigration. Trying to give scholarships to illegals isn't going to go well with America no matter how you spin it. Welfare is something that can be sold when it's going to people like you.

MidGe 11-30-2007 06:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rand is his son.

In case you think I'm messing with you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rand_Paul#Family

[/ QUOTE ]

Ron Paul: Ron who?
Rand Paul: Rand who??

Is this another dynasty in the making? Methinks, not a chance!

ALawPoker 11-30-2007 06:25 AM

Midge, as an Australian who is opposed to Bush's foreign policy, I'm confused why you so despise Ron Paul. He would put an end to the aggressive foreign policy. That's what you want, isn't it?

Even if you oppose the rest of his ideology, what difference does that make, since domestic US policies don't affect you. With all the barking you do about Bush and Iraq, who pray tell do you support more than the guy whose entire campaign is energized by the idea of changing foreign policy and bringing our troops home from everywhere in the world?

MidGe 11-30-2007 06:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Midge, as an Australian who is opposed to Bush's foreign policy, I'm confused why you so despise Ron Paul. He would put an end to the aggressive foreign policy. That's what you want, isn't it?

Even if you oppose the rest of his ideology, what difference does that make, since domestic US policies don't affect you. With all the barking you do about Bush and Iraq, who pray tell do you support more than the guy whose entire campaign is energized by the idea of changing foreign policy and bringing our troops home from everywhere in the world?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question, ALawPoker.

I think that who rules to roost in the US and its impact on the rest of the world is dependent on more than just the avowed foreign policies. I think we are much more interdependent than just merely based on foreign policies.

To me, Ron Paul is probably the most naive of the candidates I am aware of, in the US presidential race as it stands, from an economic viewpoint. So naive that it is worrying that he might even have been considered a candidate, although, in praise of the general US public he has not even be allowed, or at least has been limited, in his participation in public debates.

AlexM 11-30-2007 07:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Clearly this is a result of yard-sign spamming by a few bots.

[/ QUOTE ]

AlexM 11-30-2007 07:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question, ALawPoker.

I think that who rules to roost in the US and its impact on the rest of the world is dependent on more than just the avowed foreign policies. I think we are much more interdependent than just merely based on foreign policies.

To me, Ron Paul is probably the most naive of the candidates I am aware of, in the US presidential race as it stands, from an economic viewpoint. So naive that it is worrying that he might even have been considered a candidate, although, in praise of the general US public he has not even be allowed, or at least has been limited, in his participation in public debates.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, ROFL. The only non-naive candidate on economics, but you think he's the naive one. Nice!

MidGe 11-30-2007 07:21 AM

You have to understand that the Austrian School of Economics and its supporters/adherents are but a very small, so small, as rightly called insignificant, numbers of economists around the world, and have been so for a long time. Gee, von Mises was early part of last century, and even then, he was insignificant academically!

clowntable 11-30-2007 07:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You have to understand that the Austrian School of Economics and its supporters/adherents are but a very small, so small, as rightly called insignificant, numbers of economists around the world, and have been so for a long time. Gee, von Mises was early part of last century, and even then, he was insignificant academically!

[/ QUOTE ]
This kind of argument certainly doesn't help you buy credibility.

Scary_Tiger 11-30-2007 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ron Paul is also the only candidate that does not believe in spreading America's goodness through force of arms and at the expense of Americans' lives. But yeah, there's seven other guys on stage that want to fight so he's probably just naive.

ConstantineX 11-30-2007 10:36 AM

So our boy Ronnie has raised $23,000 from 8:33 - 9:33, and $130,000 so far today. Assuming donation trends hold like Nov. 5th with acceleration in the mid-afternoon, we could optimistically raise up to half a million today.

Also consider that there were 2,199 pledges to the Rudy's Reading List, but about 10x that number SO FAR for the Dec. 16th Tea Party money bomb. Exciting implications!

xorbie 11-30-2007 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
xorbie, you are from CU? I'm at UIUC right now. I am proudly displaying my printed Ron Paul sign in my apt. window right now, and will put up the big one I ordered from the website when it gets here.

What will really help down here is if Obama leaves the Dem. race as I don't think too many people are super-high on Hillary.

[/ QUOTE ]

I graduated last May but I've decided to stick around playng poker for another year (still have a bunch of friends here and my brother lives here). I live way off campus in Urbana though. I was happy to see there are a bunch of Ron Paul signs in the professor/random old people area of Urbana once you go past east of Lincoln, considering that given all the "Support our Troops - End the War" signs I thought it was almost all Democrat (and thus likely to go Obama/Hillary).

Def agree that most students seem to be behind Obama. I'm hopefully gonna end up on the quad a few days with a sign trying to hand out some debate beatdowns and maybe a sticker.

maxtower 11-30-2007 05:46 PM

Just take a graph of the S&P 500 denominated in gold prices with you to NeoCon houses. Ask them if they think their investments have done well, then show them the collapse of the market priced in commodities (like gold) and show them how housing is collapsing and ask if they would like for that to continue. Paint Bernanke as evil. Try to avoid the question of the war.