Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   ***Official 2007-2008 MLB Offseason Thread*** (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=535342)

slothinator 11-19-2007 02:24 PM

Re: ***Official 2007-2008 MLB Offseason Thread***

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
White Sox trade Jon Garland to Anaheim for Orlando Cabrera and "cash considerations".

This seems like an awful deal for the ChiSox.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who plays shortstop for the Angels next year?

[/ QUOTE ]

Macier Izturis. Would make him a great late round fantasy grab btw.

I don't think this is a bad deal for the Sox. Uribe is not a good everyday SS, and Garland is just a mediocre innings eater. The Sox have a few young guys in their system who could replace Garland. I'm just not sure what the Angels see in Garland.

MikeyPatriot 11-19-2007 02:27 PM

Garland's been an average-to-above-average MLB starter. Cabrera is a below average shortstop.

I don't mind trading Garland, I just don't think Cabrera is a good return. I also have no idea what direction Kenny is taking this team. I also feel like if you're trading Garland now, you should have traded him last year for the couple of deals that we're out there.

My friend told me Bruce Levine, one of the baseball beat guys in Chicago radio, said Kenny has a laundry list of stuff he plans on getting done this year. So, I guess this is just a catalyst for more.

wisehandpoker 11-19-2007 02:37 PM

The Sox save 3 mil on the contract swap and there's more money going their way, so you can't really judge this deal until we find out a) how much money that is, and b) how they spend the $3M+

kyleb 11-19-2007 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
White Sox trade Jon Garland to Anaheim for Orlando Cabrera and "cash considerations".

[/ QUOTE ]

What? Orlando Cabrera is not a below-average shortstop in any sense of the word. A career line of .273/.321/.403 while turning in pretty good defense year after year is tough to find.

That being said, Uribe is not significantly worse. Not really sure why they did this.

SL__72 11-19-2007 02:42 PM

Supposedly Lowell signed a 3/37.5MM deal with the Red Sox.

rwperu34 11-19-2007 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess this is just a catalyst for more.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm scratching my head on this one for both teams, so I'll reserve judgement until I see what happens next.

Step 1: Trade Orlando for Garland
Step 2: ????
Step 3: MIGUEL!!!

wisehandpoker 11-19-2007 02:47 PM

On another note, espn's rumor central says the Blue Jays have offered Scott Clement a minor league deal, but I'm having trouble figuring out who we're cutting from the staff as it is. Right now, we have;

Halladay
Burnett
McGowan
Marcum
Litsch

Frasor
Tallet
Jansen
Downs
Accardo
Ryan (mlb.com's ricciardi interview suggested he'd be ready for opening day)

That's a full staff, and then we still have;

Chacin
Wolfe (0.99 whip, 2.98 era in 38 appearances.)
Towers
Joe Kennedy

The fourteen position player spots seem to be pretty much done with a bench of Scutaro, Stairs, Lind, Adams and Thigpen/Fasano.

MikeyPatriot 11-19-2007 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What? Orlando Cabrera is not a below-average shortstop in any sense of the word. A career line of .273/.321/.403 while turning in pretty good defense year after year is tough to find.

That being said, Uribe is not significantly worse. Not really sure why they did this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just like you getting Merri-leveled in that thread, it's early. I just looked up his OPS+ and saw < 100 and thought, "LOL below average." I'm definitely wrong about that.

Still agree that I don't get this move. Like I said though, apparently there is supposedly a long list of stuff happening.

g-bebe 11-19-2007 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On another note, espn's rumor central says the Blue Jays have offered Scott Clement a minor league deal, but I'm having trouble figuring out who we're cutting from the staff as it is. Right now, we have;

Halladay
Burnett
McGowan
Marcum
Litsch

Frasor
Tallet
Jansen
Downs
Accardo
Ryan (mlb.com's ricciardi interview suggested he'd be ready for opening day)

That's a full staff, and then we still have;

Chacin
Wolfe (0.99 whip, 2.98 era in 38 appearances.)
Towers
Joe Kennedy

The fourteen position player spots seem to be pretty much done with a bench of Scutaro, Stairs, Lind, Adams and Thigpen/Fasano.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont' know Chacin's health status, but if he's healthy, he's better than McGowan or Litsch imo. but really, they just need to get rid of any connection to Towers.

btw, what's Thomas doing?

centris 11-19-2007 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I dont' know Chacin's health status, but if he's healthy, he's better than McGowan

[/ QUOTE ]

What? In 2005 when chacin was healthy and when he put up good numbers K/9 5.3, BB/9 3.1, GB .41. This past year McGowan K/9 7.9, BB/9 3.3, GB .53.

McGowan is one of the top 10 starters in the AL, Chacin is replacement level. Chacin's 2005 ERA was a BABIP/LOB% fluke.