Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   PokerStars TV Commercials (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=547487)

PokerBob 11-16-2007 06:03 AM

PokerStars TV Commercials

This question was deemed too low-brow for the Diablo forum. Maybe someone here can explain it to me.

Can someone please explain why PokerStars has both Hachem and Negreanu attempting to do athletic things in their recent commercials?

Negraneau runs extremely unnaturally, almost as if he is concentrating on not somehow screwing up. Hachem looks clumsy and awkward shooting those free throws.

I understand that both guys are recognizable figures in the poker world, and so you want your site associated with them. But I gotta believe that their are better ways to connect your site with them that play to their strengths.

beaver 11-16-2007 06:27 AM

Re: PokerStars TV Commercials

Daniel playing street hockey has got to be the silliest one of all...

PokerBob 11-16-2007 06:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Daniel playing street hockey has got to be the silliest one of all...

[/ QUOTE ]

I love the fact that they managed to work Babyhan into the commercial.

Ricky_Bobby 11-16-2007 08:23 PM

I think the Hachem one was much worse. He shoots like a girl and he doesn't even keep his feet planted. I wouldn't want millions of people to see me perform some activity at which I sucked.

The weirdest part is that they got that other Canadian/Vietnamese guy who final tabled the main event bumping into Negraneau. err, maybe that's the guy Bob is referring to.

I guess they're trying to appeal to a more athletic, non-degen crowd. Then again, a lot of the young players are the athletic types who found poker via ESPN, so I don't really know.

PokerBob 11-16-2007 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the Hachem one was much worse. He shoots like a girl and he doesn't even keep his feet planted. I wouldn't want millions of people to see me perform some activity at which I sucked.

The weirdest part is that they got that other Canadian/Vietnamese guy who final tabled the main event bumping into Negraneau. err, maybe that's the guy Bob is referring to.

I guess they're trying to appeal to a more athletic, non-degen crowd. Then again, a lot of the young players are the athletic types who found poker via ESPN, so I don't really know.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they want to appeal to the more athletic/jock crowd, great. But anyone athletic is going to look at those 2 guys doing what they were doing and have the same reaction I did. It's just a disaster IMO.

Ricky_Bobby 11-16-2007 10:39 PM

I guess the geniuses at Poker Stars didn't realize how awkward DN and Hachem actually looked.

I don't get it either. I find both ads off-putting.

Micro Donk 11-16-2007 10:47 PM

next TV commercial released: greg raymer running track

yaaam1484 11-16-2007 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
next TV commercial released: greg raymer running track

[/ QUOTE ]
post delievered

sightless 11-16-2007 10:59 PM

dont they have one where Negranu is running somewhere for some reason alerady?

FTP's commecrials are by far better than stars

Eponymous 11-16-2007 11:05 PM

I think they know they don't look athletic, and they're trying to appeal to guys who want to relive their past glory in sports (or live out what they never had) through poker. Having these guys look not very athletic is less threatening and more inviting to take them and others on at the poker tables. That's what I think they're going for, but they just look dorky to me. Especially watching Hachem shoot free throws. Shaq could give him lessons.