Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Full Ring (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   set of kings at Foxwoods 1/2NL (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=416208)

whorasaurus 05-31-2007 04:31 AM

set of kings at Foxwoods 1/2NL

Ok, this happened around 2am last night. I get KK in the big blind. Its folded around to the CO (a weak player who sat down recently) who raises to 8. folds to me, I make it 25, he calls.

Effective stacks 250.

Flop is A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

I have the K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I check it since his initial raise was so weaksauce, and he obligingly bets out 25. I min-raise to 50 (don't flame me plz), and he unexpectedly makes it 100 total. I call, planning to let him push his remaining 125ish on turn.

Turn is A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Is this an open push? I elected to check, looking to call a push, but he checked behind.

River is some rag. I push, thinking he must have some random ace.

Looking for feedback on how to play these monsters OOP, all comments appreciated.

RyanCMU 05-31-2007 05:07 AM

Re: set of kings at Foxwoods 1/2NL

I just bang it again on the flop... The only street I like the way you played is PF..

ijustliketoplay 05-31-2007 06:13 AM

weak in what kind of way? just bad or folds too easily?

generally leading the flop is the best way to max the value for this. but the fact is that unless he has an ace, a set of sevens or some kind or a strong flush draw you arent getting paid. but if he does, you just hit the jackpot so bet it and look to three bet his raise. in general its best to avoid being too tricky these spots. play it hard and fast. so i would have pushed flop after he min reraised.

BT2 05-31-2007 06:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, this happened around 2am last night. I get KK in the big blind. Its folded around to the CO (a weak player who sat down recently) who raises to 8. folds to me, I make it 25, he calls.
good so far
Effective stacks 250.

Flop is A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

I have the K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I check it since his initial raise was so weaksauce,

what are you talking about? how is it weaksauce? also, if it were that would NOT be any reason to check.

and he obligingly bets out 25. I min-raise to 50 (don't flame me plz),

if you knew it was a mistake then you should not have done it

and he unexpectedly makes it 100 total. I call, planning to let him push his remaining 125ish on turn.

this is the wrost by far. just get it in right now. the turn might be a scare card and he will no longer wish to pay you off.

Turn is A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Is this an open push? I elected to check, looking to call a push, but he checked behind.

checking is horrible

River is some rag. I push, thinking he must have some random ace.

finally you push. however, now he might not like the board anymore.

Looking for feedback on how to play these monsters OOP, all comments appreciated. i have learned from this that live poker must be really eazy. hopefully he called your river push with an ace rag and you got him $.

[/ QUOTE ]

BT2 05-31-2007 06:46 AM

not him $......HIS $

onoble 05-31-2007 10:33 AM

Lead flop, if he has an ace (very possible) you are going to valuetown. Also if you cbet all the time, you have to cbet when you have the goods. Plus you 3 bet preflop from the blinds, not leading the flop is criminal.

That said: Big hands only get paid off by big hands or idiots.

If he's an idiot with Ace rag and is like "yippeee I have top pair" you win.

If he isn't an idiot and has nothing, this board is rarely going to make him feel comfortable.

As played:
When he min re-raises your min raise AUTO-PUSH. A min re-raise usually means they want to get their money in, you have the second nuts please oblige.

CazicT 05-31-2007 03:07 PM

Checking flop is OK only if you are pretty sure he will bet. So that is a judgement call on your part. The min raise on the flop I don't really care for, you might as well bet more since if he has something, he will call more, so build the pot...
Flat calling the re-reraise I don't really care for, I would probably push at this point, or at least raise again if it makes sense without pushing.

The turn, I can see checking here. If he has an ace you are destined to get all his money either way. If he happened to have a diamond draw, he might fold to a push since he wouldn't have the correct odds. If the stacks were configured differently, you might want to bet an amount he would be sure to call...

River is obvious.

CazicT 05-31-2007 03:15 PM

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre> what are you talking about? how is it weaksauce? also, if it were that would NOT be any reason to check. </pre><hr />

In live poker a bet of $8 is a bit weird since you have to put in 4 chips, usually someone would just put in 2 $5 chips to make it $10. Putting 2 chips in is so much easier, lol.

But really, live $8 is abnormal so I see what the OP was getting at, but as you said, this is no reason to not bet the flop unless the villian is aggro and you are sure he will bet.

whorasaurus 05-31-2007 03:48 PM

So ill explain a little bit. In most live games, including this one, a standard raise is 12-15. Opening to 8 does not imply a premium hand at all, and in this case, I took it to mean a range of hands skewed towards a weak ace. So my flop play was designed to get a weak ace committed to the hand in order to play for stacks. If i thought villian was holding something like AQ, AK i would have instapushed the flop raise. But likely he is much weaker, and would've almost certainly given up.

The thing about live play is that players don't want to be embarrassed. Even bad players know enough to avoid getting stacked with a hand like A6. So I conclude that pushing here folds out all the hands I want him to call with, and if he does have something strong like AQ, two pair, set of 7's, its all getting in the middle anyway. I check to give him the initiative on the turn, and the turn ace makes me think he just hit trips, and he'll do the dirty work for me.

My problem here is that im OOP, and the whole time my hand just screams AK+. I felt that any realistic bet on my part would make this hand the easiest fold evar for villian. That's the reason for the FPS.

Results: he folded to river push, meaning no A. Maybe some wacky FD (in which case my play was horrible, but this is unlikely) but probably villian was bluffing entire time, which might justify my soft play. Just trying to massage another 100 out of him.

Oh and my image is solid TAG fwiw