Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Poker Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Bored now. Invent a novel poker variant. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=427864)

MarkGritter 06-20-2007 11:37 AM

Re: Bored now. Invent a novel poker variant.

Such variations are pretty common, see for example "Oxford Stud":

http://www.xenomind.com/pokervar/Com...7/cm07029.html

There are also stud/draw combos.

If one is playing a stud game with community cards, does the 'lowest hand' refer just to board cards, or to board cards + community cards. I.e., if somebody has a 2 up but the community cards are 22A, does the 2 start the bidding, or would a 3 up be the lowest?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure people have tried to create games like this before, but...
what about a Stud/Hold'em hybrid. Could be played hi/hi-lo/lo.

2 down cards to each player
betting
1 up card to each player
betting
3 community cards
betting
1 down card to each player
betting

Has it been tried ?
Is it interesting?

Tx.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phat Mack 06-20-2007 02:05 PM

The last time I played a game like this, the players' door cards started the betting on the first round, then the best hand made of door cards and community cards led on subsequent rounds.

HOWMANY 06-20-2007 03:08 PM

If I was creative I would invent a game where I didn't continue to get tortured by absolutely horrible players in shorthanded/HU games and they'd just light up their money like God intended.

iron81 06-20-2007 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I was creative I would invent a game where I didn't continue to get tortured by absolutely horrible players in shorthanded/HU games and they'd just light up their money like God intended.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're talking about Stud 8.

*TT* 06-20-2007 03:15 PM

My favorite variant so far is roll your own O8. After the flop betting round each player turns over one card of their choice in order with the small blind acting first.

A variant of this variant is double roll your own O8, where you disclose a second card of the player's choice after the turn betting round is complete.

its tough game if you play it seriously, it adds a significant amount of complexity to the decision process.

HOWMANY 06-20-2007 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You're talking about Stud 8.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that when one of these magically friendly fellows shows up in 30/60 Stud 8 the game is never shorthanded because there a lot of people like me that don't play the game that much but check it often to see if there are any players that are known to be allergic to money.

I keep offering to play people Stud 8 live but for some reason nobody will play.

Biggle10 07-30-2007 08:13 PM

Rank the hands based on true frequency. i.e. Threes up is harder to make than AA-up so threes-up wins. However, in cases of equal frequency AA vs. 33 normal runs would win.
So if playing Hold'em. AA vs 33. Preflop AA is ahead. Flop comes 765 (AA has best hand). Turn makes it 7655 (33 has best hand as Fives up is harder to make than AA up). River is 5. AA wins pot.

PokrLikeItsProse 07-30-2007 10:59 PM

Pineapple dice stud...err, let's call it pomegranate stud. You get dealt three down cards and one up card. You have a round of betting. Then you role a die. 1-2, you play stud high, 3-4 you play stud/8, 5-6 you play razz (or maybe stud for low with KC lowball hand rankings). Then you discard one of your hole cards and play the rest as normal. It's purely theoretical, but the idea of some betting before you know exactly what game you are playing intrigues me.

Open crazy pineapple. Played just like pineapple except that you expose your discard in front of you.

n-card high-low badugi. Not sure what n should be.

Phat Mack 07-30-2007 11:36 PM

It's purely theoretical, but the idea of some betting before you know exactly what game you are playing intrigues me.

There's a game called Binglaha, which is omaha played with a die. After the flop betting is complete, the button rolls a die. If it's 1-2-3, the game is O8; if its 4-5-6, then it's omaha high. Pot limit, of course.

electrical 07-31-2007 12:08 AM

I'm still stumping for Swingo. I know you said all previously-devised games suck, but nobody's heard of Swingo, and it's awesome.
[ QUOTE ]
Named after a Naked Raygun song, Swingo is the poker game for the 21st Century, incorporating elements of 5-card draw, stud, hold-em and intentional angle-shooting. Invented (though rarely played) at the Tuesday game.

Swingo
Pot-limit played with two equal blinds.

Everyone is dealt five cards, and there is a round of betting. After the betting closes, each player places two of his cards face-down on the table. When all players have placed their hole-cards down, all players still in the hand expose the other three cards in their hand by placing them on the table face-up. These cards ("the Board") remain in play unless the hand holding them folds. There is another round of betting, starting with the best hand showing (as in stud), not taking other players' cards into account. For example, a player with two Kings on board would act first if no other player has a better hand showing, even if another player could make trips using a board card in addition to his up-cards. After the betting is closed, a final community card is dealt face-up on the table. There is a final round of betting. Players, starting with the last player to bet or raise, show their hands and declare them. The best legal declared hand wins. Declaring a hand your cards do not allow does not kill your hand, but it makes you a dick, and you have to get it right or ask for help for your next try.

A player may use any one of the other players' exposed cards (the Board, not another player's hole cards) in his hand. More than one player may use the same Board card. Any player may use the river card in his hand. Players are not required to use any board cards or the river card to make their hands. A player must use a minimum of three cards from his original five-card hand. The best five-card hand wins.

There is some debate about whether this game should be declared or cards-speak.

Other options: Hi-Low split, split pot with a player whose board card you use to make your hand (for this version, the hands should be declared rather than cards speak, since a player may opt to play for the whole pot by declaring a hand that doesn't use an opponent's up card).

[edit: I do not know of any site that offers Swingo online]

[/ QUOTE ]