Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   A 99 hand (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=475090)

Fantam 08-11-2007 03:31 PM

A 99 hand

Table seemed a bit tight, with no one really seeming to get out of line. Having said that, weak hands were sometimes shown down.

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

BB checks, Hero ???

Final Pot: 6.25 BB

The board seemed dry, and I called the flop and turn, in case I had the best hand. Value bet river when checked to ?

Aaron W. 08-11-2007 03:40 PM

Re: A 99 hand

I would probably just check. If he was bluffing, he's not calling; if he was value betting a J and got scared, he's not folding.

NIX 08-11-2007 04:04 PM

I check for all the reasons Aaron said.

Shillx 08-11-2007 04:08 PM

I'd bet. A lot of his good hands go out the window when he checks the river.

Niediam 08-11-2007 04:31 PM

I bet because he mostly likely has a small/medium pocket pair and will pay you off.

LoNeLyAcEs 08-11-2007 05:17 PM

R/F the turn, check the river

as played bet the river, unless opponent is known to be tricky

Aaron W. 08-11-2007 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
R/F the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this accomplish?

LoNeLyAcEs 08-11-2007 05:49 PM

it's going to be 2 bets anyway so why not try a free showdown + fold equity, i would't want any overcards drawing here a KQ may fold and also any unpaired Kx,Ax maybe he called with TT and folds (although very unlikely) if villain 3 bets he likely has AJ or smth

HouseCalls 08-11-2007 05:56 PM

I can't see raising the turn but I have to admit my first thought was to raise the flop after the donk bet.

I think this is probably a pretty big leak in my game.

I've been reading stox book and it talks about c-betting neatly 100% of the time after you raise PF and get HU. He definitely puts a lot of emphasis on keeping the lead when possible.

I'm not sure how this applies when someone donks into me after a raise.

Any general rules on this situation when you raise PF and have a marginal hand post flop and face a donk bet?

Seems like against aggressive players this may become a WA/WB situation?

What about against passives?

This may be too general a question but the hand here is pretty close to ones I've been spewing with. If it is too general I'm sure I can post some others [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Fadook 08-11-2007 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it's going to be 2 bets anyway so why not try a free showdown + fold equity, i would't want any overcards drawing here a KQ may fold and also any unpaired Kx,Ax maybe he called with TT and folds (although very unlikely) if villain 3 bets he likely has AJ or smth

[/ QUOTE ]

I took yet another read over the Free Showdown Play section in Stox's book, and this spot does seem to fulfill several of his conditions for making it. Villain may well be bluffing with 6 outs, and if we're behind, we don't have many outs and can fold to a 3-bet. I'd typically call, but there could be a case for raising.

EDIT: We also make an extra bet the times he does have overcards, calls anyway, and misses on the river.