Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   french press coffee (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=556366)

oddjob 11-28-2007 12:24 PM

french press coffee

i had been using one of these,

http://www.undergroundartproject.com...s/bialetti.jpg

but it makes more of an espresso drink, so i just bought a french press.

now i love me some starbucks, and usually buy their espresso beans for the bialetti, and then bought some regular ground for the french press, but i'm thinking that a 1 pound package won't last me very long, and probably get pricey.

now i realize that it's still probably cheaper then buy your coffee from starbucks every day, but are there any alternatives you fine people recommend to go with your french presses?

lay it on me.

BuckyK 11-28-2007 12:32 PM

Re: french press coffee

http://www.illyusa.com/AB1666000/web...?WebPage_ID=38

Illy Coffee is some of the best I've had. I would recommend it over most Starbucks coffee's. Price is about the same as Starbuck's.

Fast Food Knight 11-28-2007 12:37 PM

Pardon my ignorance, but we just moved into a new house and the previous owner left one of those contraptions pictured above on the stove.

How do I use it? How do you make an espresso drink with it? What is it called?

oddjob 11-28-2007 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pardon my ignorance, but we just moved into a new house and the previous owner left one of those contraptions pictured above on the stove.

How do I use it? How do you make an espresso drink with it? What is it called?

[/ QUOTE ]

it's a stove top espresso machine called a bialetti.

unscrew the top.

remove the metal filter. fill up the bottom with water up to the line, replace filter, fill up with espresso, screw back top. put on stove, cook till all the coffee steams up and fill the top. be careful not to over brew it.

it's pretty good stuff.

oddjob 11-28-2007 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.illyusa.com/AB1666000/web...?WebPage_ID=38

Illy Coffee is some of the best I've had. I would recommend it over most Starbucks coffee's. Price is about the same as Starbuck's.

[/ QUOTE ]

illy is good stuff, but i don't really know where to get it, and i'm looking for maybe a cheaper alternative.

JackInDaCrak 11-28-2007 12:52 PM

a pound of beans should cost you about 10 dollars, which is like 6 starbucks drip coffees.

You should definitely be able to get about 20 french press brews out of a pound of beans if you are using the proper amount of grinds.

ethan 11-28-2007 12:55 PM

Paradise Roasters

Excellent coffee, quick delivery, and reasonably priced.

oddjob 11-28-2007 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a pound of beans should cost you about 10 dollars, which is like 6 starbucks drip coffees.

You should definitely be able to get about 20 french press brews out of a pound of beans if you are using the proper amount of grinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm glad you read the OP so thoroughly

eviljeff 11-28-2007 01:16 PM

for best results, use coarse-ground coffee and bottled water

Mr_Mxyztplk 11-28-2007 01:37 PM

thats a lot of money for hot bean water.

JackInDaCrak 11-28-2007 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wtf, you mentioned that buying coffee for a french press would be pricey. I posited that it's not.

Are you looking for suggestions on types of beans? Maybe you should try various ones until you find one you like, dickface.

Fast Food Knight 11-28-2007 02:09 PM

Oddjob,

Thanks for the info. I'll have to give it a try. That is, after I disinfect that gay man's bialetti. And repaint the lavendar dining room.

Death Valley 11-28-2007 03:40 PM

There are different size french presses. buy a smaller one if you are brewing too much and wasting some.
Make sure to have them grind it (or do it yourself) specifically for the french press

kipin 11-28-2007 03:46 PM

Trader Joe's has a surprisingly good coffee for relatively cheap that you might be interested in trying.

It's whole bean, but with the purchase of a coffee grinder that isn't a problem.

Freshly ground is always best anyway.

n.s. 11-28-2007 04:21 PM

I been using Trader Joe's organic Ethiopian blend with my french press. It's about $8 a can, I think. I have a cheap coffee grinder that I use and grind it fresh right before brewing, which I think does help. A can lasts about a week and half (one pot a day) and its some of the best coffee I've ever had imo. I'm far from a coffee snob, though.

I have a bialetti too, but it's a lot more hassle so I don't use it very often (and I'm a little disappointed in the strength of the espresso that it makes).

ElSapo 11-28-2007 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are different size french presses. buy a smaller one if you are brewing too much and wasting some.
Make sure to have them grind it (or do it yourself) specifically for the french press

[/ QUOTE ]

Or use less water and less beans.

If there's a reason this won't work, I'm not thinking of it.

oddjob 11-28-2007 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wtf, you mentioned that buying coffee for a french press would be pricey. I posited that it's not.

Are you looking for suggestions on types of beans? Maybe you should try various ones until you find one you like, dickface.

[/ QUOTE ]

or maybe i can ask people for their recommendations, instead of trying every possibility out there.

once again, great reading comprehension. try rereading the OP and what you responded with. i already state that i know it's cheaper to brew starbucks at home then buying a cup from starbucks.

i'm not even sure why i'm bothering. it's already apparent that you won't comprehend this as well, and just call me another name to make up for your lack of understanding.

oddjob 11-28-2007 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Trader Joe's has a surprisingly good coffee for relatively cheap that you might be interested in trying.

It's whole bean, but with the purchase of a coffee grinder that isn't a problem.

Freshly ground is always best anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

i hear trader joe's is awesome for this stuff. unfortunately none by me. thx though.

oddjob 11-28-2007 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a bialetti too, but it's a lot more hassle so I don't use it very often (and I'm a little disappointed in the strength of the espresso that it makes).

[/ QUOTE ]

i find it to be quite easy and good.

JackInDaCrak 11-28-2007 06:14 PM

Oddjob, all I was saying was that you can get coffee at Starbucks or at Trader Joes or at any local grocery store or at Costco. You can mail order it. For quality beans you're not going to get much cheaper than 10 dollars a pound. Maybe 8.

Now, in terms of which roast of bean, and which variety of bean you like, it's a matter of personal taste. I like darker brew so I stick with varieties of french roast, italian roast and espresso roast beans. You might want something lighter.

kipin 11-28-2007 06:26 PM

Starbucks coffee is extremely over rated. It always tastes "burned" to me. It seems like anyone who is a coffee fanatic will agree, I guess you could call them the Bose of the coffee world.

Fast Food Knight 11-28-2007 06:28 PM

Kipin, I agree that it always tastes burned.

But I love my Bose dock [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

kipin 11-28-2007 06:29 PM

Well for the price you paid you could have done better.

It isn't like Bose is a terrible POS, its just overpriced for what you get. They are a great example of excellent marketing.

oddjob 11-28-2007 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Starbucks coffee is extremely over rated. It always tastes "burned" to me. It seems like anyone who is a coffee fanatic will agree, I guess you could call them the Bose of the coffee world.

[/ QUOTE ]

i like the taste of starbucks. it's all about personal preference man, and i just like a strong dark roast coffee, and i can find that at starbucks. there are definitly places that i like better, but they are more expensive or a bigger pain to get to for me.

ElSapo 11-28-2007 08:27 PM

Oddjob -

So you basically want to know where to buy good coffee beans at a reasonable price?

Where do you live? How much do you want to spend? What do you like?

oddjob 11-28-2007 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oddjob -

So you basically want to know where to buy good coffee beans at a reasonable price?

Where do you live? How much do you want to spend? What do you like?

[/ QUOTE ]

denver. not sure, i was just wondering what options i have for a french press. i like really strong dark flavorful coffees.

i've heard that canned coffee's such as chock full of nuts is decent for what it is. anyone ever use this or something similar in a french press?

Jeff W 11-28-2007 08:49 PM

If you want to save a lot of money, buy green coffee beans in bulk from Sweet Maria's (20 lbs+, <$4/lb for excellent quality) and roast them yourself. You can roast them in the oven or on the stovetop, but I recommend a hot air popcorn roaster (~$10). I would invest in a conical burr grinder to make consistent coarse french press grinds.

BretWeir 11-28-2007 11:24 PM

Ward's Coffee in NJ has a great selection and ships whole beans and ground-to-order coffee. Most of the single-origin coffees go for $7 or $8/lb., but the House Blend, which is pretty solid, is just $5/lb.

Not sure how much the shipping costs, because I buy at the B&M store, which is almost 140 years old and awesome:

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/6...d2002jsfy7.jpg

JackInDaCrak 11-29-2007 02:15 PM

If you want strong dark coffee in Denver check out Kaladi (sp) on like Evans and Williams, or Dazbog, they both make great dark roasts.