Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Business, Finance, and Investing (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Evaluate my real estate negotiation in real time! (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=486089)

SomethingClever 08-25-2007 01:33 PM

Evaluate my real estate negotiation in real time!

So we got an offer on our house today. We're asking $349,000, the offer came in at $333,500, BUT they need us to pay $8,500 in closing costs, which effectively makes the offer $325,000.

I would like to get at least $335,000 net, which means countering with at least $343,000.

Other considerations:

- They are asking for our stove, fridge, washer and dryer, and expressed an interest in our patio furniture.

- Our porch needs between $1,000 and $2,000 in repairs.

I decided to counter with $345,000 + closing costs of $8500 + all the appliances they're asking for and the patio furniture. An effective offer of $336,500.

Seem like a reasonable counter?

Fishhead24 08-25-2007 01:43 PM

Re: Evaluate my real estate negotiation in real time!

Where do you live?

Chances are your home is going down in value on a daily basis and time is money..........don't play games over a few dollars.

SomethingClever 08-25-2007 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Where do you live?

Chances are your home is going down in value on a daily basis and time is money..........don't play games over a few dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Our home is not going down in value on a daily basis. If we can't get the price we want, we will probably end up renting it out for the year while we're gone instead of selling.

SomethingClever 08-25-2007 02:40 PM

Update: They countered with $340,000 and our realtor agreed to kick back $1,000 of the commission. So, $332,500 net.

We accepted.

Ship it holla

Fishhead24 08-25-2007 02:43 PM

Where is your house located that it is not going down in value?

Chrisman886 08-25-2007 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Where is your house located that it is not going down in value?

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you suggesting right now that every home in every location is decreasing in value every moment?

Tien 08-25-2007 03:58 PM

DOOM AND GLOOM.

Just remember that just because real estate in America is taking a hit in general doesn't mean the sky is falling over its head and the entire economy is going through a massive recession and every homeowner in America is going through troubles selling their properties.

Cubswin 08-25-2007 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you suggesting right now that every home in every location is decreasing in value every moment?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just by his first post, it's pretty clear this is not what he meant.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

While I agree with the first half of his statement, the second part is just garbage advice.

gonebroke2 08-25-2007 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

While I agree with the first half of his statement, the second part is just garbage advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you referring to "dont play games over a few dollars"?

that is the best advice fishhead has ever given on this site.

Cubswin 08-25-2007 04:49 PM

Playing games over a few dollars just got the OP $7500 more for his home. Do you think the better play is to just accept their offer? I hope I buy my home from someone with that mentality.