Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Health and Fitness (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Mike's Log (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=499282)

mperich 09-12-2007 05:00 AM

Mike\'s Log

Well Ive been super lazy with keeping track of progress lately , which hasnt really mattered because Ive been gaining pretty fast..but I have a feeling Im starting to plateau a bit so keeping better records will def be helpful.

Background

I used to work out a bit just after highschool and got up to about 170lbs (was about 150 grad year) Was in pretty decent shape, then didnt work out for basically 3 yrs, or play any sports etc. Dropped back down to 155. Started back at the gym about 6 wks ago and am back up to 167 now, with pretty good strength gains (muscle memory ftw) So yah, basically Im back where I started which is probably just a little below my peak conditioning. Also for the record my bf% is between 17.3 and 15 (according to scale which I realize isnt that great but good enough reference for now)

Goals

Well, short term Id like to get up to 185 or so with similar bf. Other than that I dont have many specific goals..Id like to bench 225x10 which Im pretty far away from Im sure (seeing as I dont do barbell bench atm) Id also like to squat 405x10. Also, Id like to work on my deadlift form and weight since its BRUTAL right now (weight anyways 155 for reps) Also would like to finally get 10xBW pullups for once in my life. (3x10 would be even better but 10 would be a nice start) Ive never been able to do this..got 8 off last week and when I started I could only do 4 so hopefully soon.

Nutrition/Supps

Havent really been monitoring my cals/macros. Might start to might not. I would estimate Im getting about 250g of protein/day and probably around 3500-4000 cals from clean sources. Also I dont eat fish which sorta sucks but I eat tons of chicken and turkey. Also a LOT of brown rice and a little whole wheat pasta. And a fair bit of granola.

As far as supps go I take creatine, a multi, whey, BCAAs, glutamine, and NOxplode. Also vitamin C and water.

Workout

Im on a basic 5 day split right now with some core work and cardio mixed in pretty randomly. I mix up the days most weeks with back or legs usually on day 1 and day 4 and the rest mixed up pretty good. Im also getting 2 sets of kettlebells in hopefully this week but havent started yet. Ive been slacking on mixing up the individual excercises but will probably start soon (again, havent really had to yet but will probably need to soon) I dunno if this system is the most effective or what people on this board like, but its worked well for me always (aside from legs which I will switch to higher reps sometimes), so Ill stick with it for now unless I start to seriously plateau

09/12/07

k so todays workout was legs.

3min light biking

Squats

Prev PR: 1x205x10 2x225x10 last week

10x135 (warmup)
225x10
275x8
225x10

Dumbell Walking Lunges

Prev PR 3x45x9

3x50x9

Lying Hamstring Curls

PR unknown

10x80
10x95
8x80

Gym closed before I could do my calves but they are a bit sore from jumping rope anyways so no biggie. All in all a pretty good workout. I might try to change my squat reps to 15 next week, prolly around 225. We'll see tho cuz Id also like to get a few reps off at 3 plates but that might hafta wait till 2 wks from now. Also my calves started cramping during the last set of hammy curls which I think is due to the fact I was sweating more than usual. Not a nice feeling tho.

Tomorrow: Chest or Shoulders not sure yet leaning towards chest.

-Mike

mperich 09-13-2007 03:31 AM

Re: Mike\'s Log

9/12/07 (got date wrong yesterday)

Chest

3min bike warmup

Flat DB Press

PR - 10x60

10x35 Warmup
9x60
9x55
10x50

Incline DB Press

PR 3x45x10

45x10
45x9
40x10

Decline DB Press

45x8
40x9

Incline DB Flies

12x17.5
12x20
12x20

Well, not that great of a workout overall. Last weeks chest was probably my most focused workout since Ive been back and was a huge step up in strength. This week was a step back and I just didnt feel that focused. Also, my forearms were on FIRE and im not sure why...I couldnt do my last set of decline because of that and they were killing me after my 3rd set of flat DB. Was gonna do shoulders tmrw but I think Ill move them to sat and take the day off.

-Mike

mperich 09-14-2007 01:25 AM

Took the day off..might do some light core at home later tonite. Also ordered my kettlebells today. The place Im getting from is out of 16kg so I had to get the 24kg to start (50lb) Hopefully its not too heavy, but if it is they get more 16kgs in 2-3 weeks. Also, ordering some ZMA right now so we'll see how that goes. Tomorrow is back...hopefully. If my legs are still as sore as today I might move back to saturday and do shoulders tmrw.

-Mike

mperich 09-15-2007 03:09 AM

9/14/2007

Back

3min bike warmup

Wide Grip Pullups

PR 8xBW

9xBW
6XBW
5xBW

Deadlifts

PR 155x8

10x45 Warmup
10x135
6x185
10x155
10x185

Bentover Barbell Rows

PR 3x10x60

3x10x70

Seated Cable Rows

10x70
2x10x85

Overall a very good day for me as I set new PRs in everything. 1 pullup short of my goal of 10xBW so that sort of sucked but hopefully next time.

Deadlifts was very strong (for me anyways [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] today. It was sort of an erratic day with them tho. The 135 set went up super ez which it usually doesnt. So I decided to move up to 185 and it felt really heavy (i think this was just a mental thing tho since it was a fair bit heavier than my PR. I barely got the 6 off and felt my form was a bit off on the last rep so I moved the weight back to 155. This set went up really easy again tho, so I decided I'd try for another 5 or 6 at 185. Obv that went well and I got 10 off. I actually felt like I could have done a heavier set (maybe 205-225) but Id already done more sets than I usually do and didnt want to exhaust myself for the rest of the workout. I also started with my hips a bit higher than usual after watching some form videos, and I think that helped a lot in upping the pounds. I felt like my form was def. the best its been, so that was awesome. Weight is up to 170 today so woooo. BF is .4% over where I started today, which is still pretty good, and Im def not worried about it for now.

Next weeks back goals: Im hoping it goes something like warmup, 185x8 2x225x(6-8). Also, hopefully next week is the week for pullups!

Tomorrows Workout: Shoulders

-Mike

secretprankster 09-15-2007 08:53 AM

You do some high reps. I throw in 12-15 rep squat days once in awhile and they're awesome (long-term; short-term I want to puke) but I can't do them often.

Your DL/squat numbers are very weird, lol. Most people solidly outpull their squat AFAIK.

Keep it up though.

SmileyEH 09-15-2007 10:00 AM

Just noticed that. Mike, you need to get past parallel - there's almost noway you are squatting correctly with those numbers.

Thremp 09-15-2007 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just noticed that. Mike, you need to get past parallel - there's almost noway you are squatting correctly with those numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rule of thumb, if you squat more than you pull, you aren't going deep enough.

mperich 09-15-2007 06:49 PM

Do you guys recommend going past quad parallel? Ive heard that for bodybuilding ATG is best, but for strength training quads parallel is best. Regardless, I just did some body squats at quad parallel and its probably a little deeper than my form with heavy load so I think you guys are probably right. Also, I havent been training deadlifts as long as squats so that could also be contributing. Regardless, I will probably stick with 225 next leg day and not move up, while concentrating on form/quad parallel (or deeper/lighter if you guys think thats better). 225 is also my goal for deads next week so hopefully thats more in line with normal.

Also, for who said I do high reps, yah Ive always liked high reps. I will switch it up form time to time. Deadlifts I usually pull 8...last workout was pretty messed up as I couldnt get a weight that was comfortable for me so I just pulled as many as I can (up to 10), which ended up being 10 for most. Hopefully I have a better idea of the weight I can pull now and next week will be 4 or 5 sets of 6-8. I also like to do high rep squats sometimes (well usually once I am actually in decent cardio/muscle endurance shape, which Im def not right now)

Oh yah, 1 more thing re: leg day. The gym I go to doesnt have a seated/standing calf raise machine (wtf). Its got some crappy weird machine that I dont like but have been using. A guy at the gym was trying to explain what he does for calves but I didnt exactly get what he was saying since he didnt show me. Anyways I think it was just loading up the smith rack and doing calf raises, but he also talked about using a box sometimes and raising off that (which i guess would be better ROM). Which of these is better do you think (or is there something else I could be doing) Thanks

-Mike

SmileyEH 09-15-2007 06:57 PM

mike, i don't train my calves at all, or my forearms, or posterior deltoids, or biceps brachia...you get the idea.

mperich 09-16-2007 04:17 AM

9/15/2007

Shoulders

Warmup: 4-5 min jump rope

Standing Overhead DB Press

PR - ???

10x40
9x45
9x40

Front DB Raises

PR 3x10x15

3x10x17.5

Lateral DB Raises

PR 3x10x15

8x17.5
2x10x15

Rear Lateral Raises

PR ???

10x15
2x10x17.5

Today was a home workout, which I dont really like as much but I was super busy and its a lot quicker. Didnt do shrugs cuz my DB's only go up to 52.5..guess I coulda done some high rep shrugs but they arent a huge priority for me anyways so meh. Anyways a pretty good workout..my shoulders were on FIRE tho, yikes. I dunno if its lactic acid or just a painful pump but man my shoulders always burn (ESPECIALLY today).

Next weeks shoulder goals: Meh. Hopefully 3x10x45 for DB press, but it will be seated instead of standing so not sure if those are exactly comparable, altho I cant see the diff being too huge.

Tomorrows workout: Arms, if I have time. I havent done barbell curls since Ive been back and I have no idea why. Pretty stupid actually, but Ive just been on DB curls, so Im looking forward to a good arm workout.

-Mike

mperich 09-16-2007 04:20 AM

Also, found my old workout routine (which I never got around to completing except for legs and arms) I still like it, so I'll probably start following it again.

Arms

Biceps

Day 1

Barbell Curls
Spider Curls (inner)
One arm preachers (outer)
Cross Body Hammers (brach)

Day 2

Barbell Curls
Preacher Curls (Inner)
Hammer curls (outer)
Drag Curl (upper/brach)

Alternates for variety: Incline bench hang for inners, Arnold style concentrations(mite move to main workout), reverse barbell instead of drag curl.

Triceps

Day 1

Close grip bench
Overhead dumbell french press (inner/mid)
Tricep pulldown 1 hand reverse grip (outer)

Day 2

Skull Crushers
Tricep Extensions (Outer/mid)
Tricep pressdown (Inner)

Legs

Day 1

Squats 10 reps heavy
Static Lunges (Barbell?)
Lying Hamstring Curls
Seated Calf Raise 30 reps heavy

Day 2

Squats 15 - 10 dropsets
Walking lunges
Stiff Legged Deads
Standing Calf Inner/Outer/Forward 3 sets of 30 or so

Day 3

Leg Extension PreExhuast - 3 sets 10 HEAVY
Squats 3 sets 20 preexhausted
Hamstring Curls
Calf Inner/OUter/Mid

-Mike

mperich 09-18-2007 03:55 AM

9/17/07

Arms

Warmup: 3min bike

Biceps

Barbell Curl

PR - ?

10x60
10x70
6x70
6x60 (dropset)

Incline Bench Hammer Curl

PR 3x10x25

10x25
9x25
10x22.5

Triceps

Skullcrushers

7x35
10x30
8x30

Seated Dumbell French Press

3x10x55

Bodyweight Two Bench Dip

Well today wasnt the greatest day since it was very rushed with very little time between sets (the triceps almost seemed like 1 giant superset) I guess it was good from a switching things up point of view tho, so maybe itll work out ok. We got to the gym and asked how long it takes to sign up for a membership and the lady says oh 10 minutes (1 hr to close) So we're like ok, should be enuff time after that. Anyways, shes super slow and new or something, and it ends up taking 30 min cuz she messes something up. Great. Anyways, first time doing barbell curls since Ive been back and they felt pretty good and I thought my form was super good on them so that went well. I usually do a third (sometimes 4th) bicep exercise but was super low on time. Triceps went ok but I think they are not doing as well as my biceps so I might work them first next time. They were very tough as I was getting pretty exhausted by the end. Also, did the dips at home because we ran out of time (only about 5 min from gym). Ate really well today as well so overall wasnt too bad.

Yesterday I did some sprints for cardio for about 20 min. First cardio Ive done in awhile..thinking about doing some tonite in a few hrs not sure. Didnt end up going to the gym cuz I ran outta time before we went to the Keith Urban concert. Im not a huge country fan but I do like it..he def puts on a good show tho and my gf loves him so it was a good time.

Next week arm goals: Skullcrushers 3x10x35 Bicep curl 3x10x60 (not sure about this cuz Ill be tired from doing tri's first, could be able to do this ez or might not be able to at all but its a number Id be happy with)

Tomorrows workout: Legs probably, my back is still a bit tight tho so possibly chest. We'll see when I get there

-Mike

mperich 09-19-2007 03:39 AM

9/18/2007

Legs

Warmup: 2min bike

PR - 8x275 (bad form [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] )

Warmup Squats: 20x45
15x135
14x185
12x185
11x185

Static Dumbell Lunges

PR ???

50lb Rightx10 Leftx8
45lb Leftx10 Rightx10
45lb Leftx10 Rightx9

Lying Hamstring Curls

10x80
12x65
15x65

Standing Barbell Calf Raises off Box

25x135
18x135

Hmm well, you guys were right I def wasnt going low enough on the squats. I was very strict with form today, altho lighter than I expected, so that sucks. Something to work back up to I guess. Next week should be a lot better Im hoping as I feel exhausted today. After my third set of lunges my legs basically gave out and I had to sit on the floor for a couple minutes. Also, it was my first time doing static lunges in about 3 yrs so that was interesting..a little more lactic acid on them..I think I like walking lunges better, but will probably go with a 2/1 split for variety. Hammy curls were lighter this week with a bit more reps...did the first set heavy but it didnt feel very good on my legs so I toned it down a bit. Also, first time doing the calf raises. They were pretty good, intense burn obv. Only thing I dont like is its harder to go with inner/outer stance than on a machine so I just did straightforward stance. I really wanna get some SLDL's in but Im just not in good enough shape yet to do another heavy lift after squats and lunges. Soon I hope.

Next week's leg goals: 10x225 squats

Tomorrows workout: Im taking tmrw off..I just feel really lethargic right now and Im pretty sure Im overtraining. Ive only taken probably 2 - 3 days off in the last 6 weeks that I wasnt either drinking or hungover (which obv arent the best rest days), and I think its catching up to me. So, tmrw off..thurs chest, fri off, sat is a wedding so drinking/off, sun hungover/off and Monday I should be nice and fresh to start the week off with back and hopefully a strong DL showing.

-Mike

mperich 09-22-2007 02:50 AM

9/21/07

Chest

3min bike Warmup

Flat DB Press

PR 10x60

10x30 warmup

10x60
10x65
10x60

Incline DB Press

PR 3x45x10

10x50
10x45
9x45

Decline DB Press

9x50
10x45
8x45

Incline DB llies

10x20
10x20
10x20

I took the two last days off cuz I really needed a rest...I was gonna just take one day off but my shoulder was super sore the last two days...I think I slept really weird or something on it since it started hurting after arm day and leg day, neither which has any shoulder movements at all. Anyways I think it helped out a lot as I felt much better today in general, and in the gym. My wrists still felt very fatigued tho, rly not sure whats causing that. Also, I really wanna get barbell press into my workout but I still dont someone to go with so...db press it is. No idea whats going on with my kettlebells and also my ZMA shoulda been here by today so hopefully monday. Off to a wedding tmrw till sunday...might do some cardio in the morning and/or sunday night. Monday is back day and Im hoping to go super heavy on deads and also finally get 10xbw pullups...big day! Hopefully Im not too hungover from the weekend still =/

Next weeks chest goals: 10x70! We'll see..I can tell Im starting to level off, so moving up weight isnt guaranteed every week...was fun while it lasted tho =)

Also sidenote: Weight is up to 171 which is an alltime high..yay! BF is also up a bit tho..about 1% on avg from beginning.

-Mike

mperich 09-25-2007 03:43 AM

9/24/07

Back

5min bike warmup

Wide Grips Pullups

PR 9xbw

10xbw (!!)
7xBW
5xbw

Deadlifts

PR - 10x185

warmup 10x135
4x185
4x185
10x155
10x175
10x185
8x225

Bentover Barbell Rows

PR - 3x10x70

10x70
10x80
9x70

Another good back day for me...finally got off my goal of 10 pullups. I coulda got 1 more off as well but I wanted to try for 2x10 (didnt happen obv =) Deadlifts were very erratic for me again. I think it takes me awhile to warm up on them compared to other exercises so I'll try to factor that in next time. Anyways, still really happy that I hit my PR/goal from last week. Also after my 8x225 I fell to one knee on the way to the water fountain..thought I might pass out cuz I was so lightheaded. Guess thats a good set [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Also of note with deadlifts is that my grip is starting to get pretty taxed at 225...hopefully that gets stronger. One more thing: was very taxed today from all the deads and didnt get off a 4th exercise. I was EXHAUSTED after the last set of rows whereas last week 4 excercises didnt seem too tough.

Next weeks goals: Maybe 2x10xbw on pullups altho Id settle for 10xbw 9xbw. Deadlifts: no idea. Maybe same goal I had last week which was warmup, 185x8 2x225x(6-8). Also 3x10x80 on rows..altho I might put in Tbar rows instead so we'll see.

Tomorrows Workout: Shoulders

-Mike

mperich 09-25-2007 04:23 AM

Ive also decided to do an X-Factor/ Activate Xtreme stack. I ordered 2 bottles each yesterday. Ive heard really good things about this stack and hope it will put on some good strength gains once I start to plateau. Im probably going to start the stack in about 3 weeks and it takes about 3 weeks to get going...so by then I def. should have started to see some plateaus and this should keep the gains coming. Im hoping after this stack to be at arond 185lbs and start cutting and working on cutting and functional strength more than I do now. So yah..thats basically the plan for the next 2 months or so.

-Mike

mperich 09-26-2007 08:07 AM

9/25/07

Shoulders

Warmup 3min bike

Seated Overhead DB Press

PR - 9x45

warmup 10x30
10x45
10x50
8x45

Front DB Raises

3x10x17.5

lateral DB Raises

3x10x17.5

Rear Delt Machine

10x85
10x100

Shrugs

2x10x60

Meh. Pretty good workout but shoulders is not my fav. Got my goal off (equivilant I would say) so that was good. I wanna start doing military press again but dont have a spotter still. Also my back is super sore today..tough workout yesterday.

Next weeks goals: 2x10x50 DB overhead (seated) maybe also try to move up to 20s on raises. if I cant do 20s maybe ill superset the last 2 sets (Front+lateral supersetx2)

Tmrws workout: Maybe arms..maybe off. leaning towards off cuz my back is sore and my grip is mangled from deads and shrugs (mainly deads) If i skip arms tmrw I might do chest on thurs and skip arms this week (im away fri/sat for bday party in whistler) We'll see what happens

Notes: My kettlebells are nowhere to be seen...the company seems pretty hurting for customer service but I havent paid them yet so meh. Also free shipping to where I live is a plus. My ZMA is also MIA...if it doesnt come by tmrw Im prolly gonna go pick up some caps locally.

-Mike

shemp 09-26-2007 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wanna start doing military press again but dont have a spotter still.

[/ QUOTE ]

This lift is not spotted. I guess you mean seated...

Efourdee 09-26-2007 12:04 PM

I do seated military without a spotter all the time, but like shemp was hinting around....just do them standing, its easy to ditch the weight if things go wrong.

J.Brown 09-26-2007 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I wanna start doing military press again but dont have a spotter still.

[/ QUOTE ]

This lift is not spotted. I guess you mean seated...

[/ QUOTE ]

standinb military with a spot is both dangerous and unneeded. it is sort of like spotting the deadlift.

if you can make it then make it.
if you can't then you fail.

keep the basic lifts as simple and safe as possible.

later. J.

mperich 09-26-2007 06:08 PM

yeah..ive always done seated. I guess standing would make more sense. Maybe next week [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-Mike

mperich 09-28-2007 04:29 AM

9/27/2007

Chest

3min bike warmup

Flat DB Press

10x40 warmup

PR 10x65

2x10x65
6x65

Incline DB Press

PR 10x50

3x10x50

Decline DB Press

2x10x50
9x50

Incline DB Flies

3x10x20

Took yesterday off cuz my back was sore (lats). Decided to do chest today cuz a) I think I need it more than arms and b) I use less back (altho ideally I dont use any on arms day either but Im bound to use it a little.) Today was a pretty good day...I wasnt a ton stronger than last week (none of my weights went up) but my endurance was tons better. Also my forearms felt less fatigued this week which was very nice. As far as last weeks goals, didnt get 10x70. I didnt try but after my first set at 65 I knew there was no way. Hopefully next week. Im still very satisfied tho despite missing.

Next weeks goals: 10x70. Hope it happens.

Tmrws Workout: Off to whistler for a bday for the weekend so wont be in the gym till monday. Should be legs but if I feel really [censored] from the weekend then itll be arms.

Sidenotes: Got some ZMA caps today so gonna try that out tonite. Hopefully it works out well.

-Mike

mperich 10-03-2007 08:11 AM

10/02/2007

Arms

BB Curls

12x40 warmup

10x70
8x70
10x60

Incline Hammer Curl

27.5x10
25x10
25x8

Triceps

Skullcrushers

10x30
9x35
10x30

Seated DB French Press

10x55
12x60
10x60

Cable Pulldown two handed

2x10x37.5
10x42.5

Keepin this short cuz I already wrote one out and the forums ate it. Pretty good workout, forgot to do tris first. Next week! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Goals didnt make much sense with bi's first, but I missed my tri goal.

Tmrws workout: legs maybe...back is sore and my knee was sore this wknd. If I dont do legs Im gonna take the day off again.

-Mike

cbloom 10-03-2007 11:57 AM

You're using training techniques that are pretty much discouraged from every major source, but it seems like you don't care, so w/e

theblackkeys 10-04-2007 02:23 AM

How do you increase workload? Do you add weight/reps/sets? How often?

mperich 10-04-2007 05:00 AM

cbloom: Its not that I dont care...nobody has really tried to advise me different on here so I dont know where you get that vibe from. maybe im too lazy to look at current research..I havent really revised my workout since I started it which was a long time ago. maybe once I plateau I will put more effort in and Im sure its gonna happen soon/already has.

TBK: I usually add weight, or try to, every week. When I first started it was a lot easier..more often this last week or two I find myself adding a couple reps here and there (altho I almost never go past 10). For instance I might go on exercise A 3x10x50 and then next week 2x10x50 1x10x55.

Also, my back is super sore again..really been having probs with it. Its my left lat that are killing me and I dunno why. It keeps healing after a day or 2 but I hurt it again when I work out (and not always on back day) So I think Im gonna take the week off and maybe the week after and just work on some HIIT.

-Mike

theblackkeys 10-04-2007 10:21 PM

It probably feels healed but really isn't.

EricW 10-08-2007 01:16 AM

mperich,

congrats on getting started up again! I think I tend to agree with others on your squat form - your squat seems a lot stronger than everything else so you might need to drop it down a bit and rework your form!

mperich 10-23-2007 05:11 AM

10/22/2007

legs

2min bike warmup

Squats

PR 14x185

25xbw warmup
10x135 warmup
10x185
2x10x225
12x185

Walking DB

2x45x9

Well, Ive been sick for the last 2 weeks...on top of my back injury for the week previous so that has really sucked. Today was a meh workout...first of all, all the power racks were being used, and the ppl using them were incredibly slow, so I only ended up having about 35 min to workout (also had a problem with my gym card which cut into the time as well..) Also, I was still feeling a bit fatigued from being sick cuz I dont think Im 100% better (prolly 95 tho) So yah, I decided since it was gonna be a short one I would do more squating than usual and less of everything else. Went pretty well, altho my 2nd set of 225 I think I coulda gone deeper. Old habits die hard I guess. last set of lunges almost killed me.

Notes: Got some beta alanine...it tastes like garbage. Got some new bcaa's...they taste like sweetened cough syrup. Also picked up some casein protein for night time. It doesnt taste that great either but better than the other supps. Oh, well...hopefully will get used to the tastes and they wont bother me anymore.

Next weeks goals: Hmmm...I dunno. maybe lets say 3x8x225 with good form. Or maybe 4x8. I dunno

Tmrws workout: Chest or shoulders...not sure.

-Mike

mperich 10-24-2007 04:48 AM

10/23/2007

Chest

3min bike warmup

Flat db press

pr 2x10x65

10x40 warmup

10x65
9x65
10x60

inc db press

pr 3x10x50

8x50
10x45
9x45

dec db press

8x50
7x50
7x50

flat db flies

8x25
2x10x20

Didnt lose toooo much strength on chest during my layoff, so thats good. I felt like I lost a little endurance but thats to be expected (plus i was off creatine until yesterday)

All in all, satisfactory workout..altho im hoping next week is a bit better.

Next weeks goals: Dunno, im still lookin for 10x70 so lets hope but doubt it.

Tmrws workout: Probably arms but could be shoulders depending on if my shoulders are sore from today or if my tri's are etc.

-Mike

EricW 10-24-2007 05:07 AM

you're doing too much unnecessary chest work imo. There's no reason to do flat, incline, and decline all in one workout.

mperich 10-24-2007 05:59 AM

What do you think a good chest workout would be? Im not into functional strength workouts right now...more bodybuilding oriented. (except legs, i want strong legs not too worried about how they look) Anyways i havent done much research in awhile so lemme know and Ill look into it

-Mike

cbloom 10-24-2007 12:09 PM

Mmm, even for bodybuilding at your weight levels you're probably better off doing some different variety stuff rather than all the different chest presses.

Maybe something like

bench press
pullover
flies
dips

You could also combine chest + upper back in one day to do a balanced/antagonist thing and hit it more often.

mperich 10-25-2007 04:51 AM

10/24/2007

Biceps

3min bike warmup

Seated DB Press

10x30 warmup

Standing BB Curl

10x40 warmup
10x70
7x70
8x60

Incline Hammers

2x10x25
12x20

Cross Body Hammers

3x10x20

Well, today was supposed to be shoulders but after my warmup set I realized I was way too sore. I was pretty short on time as well (gf's volleyball went late) so I decided to just do biceps, which will be my arms workout for the week. My tris are also v. sore from chest day and they will get a bit more work on shoulder day (hopefully tmrw) so that should suffice. I might throw in a set of dips or something tmrw if they arent too sore at the end of the workout. Anyways, workout was ok...still noticing a quicker fatigue which sucks but hopefully will stop soon. I was also coughing a fair bit at the gym so still a bit of lingering sickness. Im gonna double up on the vitamin c today and tmrw ive been slacking on it. Thats about it..my chest and legs are still super sore I can barely sit down today..so hopefully theyll be ok for fri (back day)

Next weeks goals: 3x10x70 on curls? Dunno.

Tmrws workout: Shoulders

-Mike

mperich 10-26-2007 05:37 AM

10/252007

Shoulders

3min bike warmup

Seated Overhead DB Press

PR - 10x50

warmup 10x35
10x45
10x55
8x55

Front DB Raises

10x20
2x10x17.5

lateral DB Raises

2x10x17.5
10x15

Rear Delt Machine

2x10x100

Shrugs

8x65
10x60

Cable Pressdowns (tri's)

8x37.5 (pronated) + 8x37.5 (supinated) superset
10x47.5 pronated

Felt really strong today. The first working set of DB Press felt suuuper light so that was sweet. Also got a new PR so that was good. Next week im DEF doing military press. Also got in a couple of really quick sets for triceps since I didnt get to do them this week and they werent super sore today.

Goals: No idea what mil press will be like. 135 would be cool I guess...I have no idea how much I can do tho, we'll see.

Tmrws workout: Back. Im really hoping my legs arent too sore to do deads tmrw. They are still pretty sore from monday (a combination of the delay and also they are sore in weird spots, I think because Im starting to go deeper) If not I may or may not do rack pulls (never done before so I dunno if I will.) And other than that same routine.

-Mike

theblackkeys 10-26-2007 03:41 PM

Do you wait until you're completely unsore (new word!) to work a body part out again? If you're just a little bit sore but feel pretty strong, are you going to go ahead and deadlift?

I know doing squats (especially at a new depth) after you've been out for a bit will make you sore for days. Is it still at the 'potty flop' stage?

mperich 10-26-2007 11:13 PM

Haha no, Im past that stage, but still a bit sore. In general, Ill workout if Im sore, as long as its not the main part Im working out, or as long as Im not extremely sore to the point where I think it will really affect my weights. ie. i wouldnt do shoulders if my shoulders were sore, but if my triceps were a bit sore thats fine (and if they were very sore i wouldnt do shoulders Id prolly do back or legs only). Its usually not a big deal, except with legs/deads on back day tho, and I try to keep them as far apart on the split as possible. Im still a bit sore today, but I think im gonna still try for deads. My biceps are still rly sore too, so the rest of the workout might not be too fun. Oh well.

-Mike

mperich 10-30-2007 02:45 AM

10/26/2007

Back

warmup bike

Wide Grip Pullups

10xbw
6xbw
6xbw

Deadlifts

pr- 8x225

10x135 warmup
10x185
8x225
5x245

Bent over rows

10x70
10x80
10x70

Forgot to post this on Friday. Meh, workout..decent strength but just wasnt feelin that focused. I was supposed to do another excercise but left early. Next week!

Next weeks back goals: 8x245 deads. 2x10xbw pullups (who knows if ill get close to that)

10/29/2007

Chest

warmup bike

Flat DB Press

pr 2x10x65

10x40 warmup
10x70
8x75
9x70

Inline DB Press

pr 3x10x50

10x55
9x55
8x55

Decline DB Press

8x55
2x10x50

Was gonna do legs today, but back was still a bit sore and I dont like to mess with that on leg day (esp. since ive had some back problems since Ive been back altho they seem to be gone, knock on wood). Probably a result of too much drinking this weekend/not eating nearly enuff. Oh well. Chest was really good, finally hit 10x70. Might have been able to do 10x75 if Id started with it, as i felt i had at least 2 reps left in me after the 10x70. I wanted to do dips today, but neither me nor the gym has a weight belt so...I guess Ill hafta buy one. Ive never done pullovers and dunno form etc sooo it was three presses again. Hopefully dips next week.

Next weeks goals: 10x75 on flat. maybe 8x80. try to do dips.

Tmrws workout: legs if i go, have a date with the gf so not sure if ill have time.

-Mike

mperich 11-01-2007 06:57 AM

10/31/2007

legs

Warmup bike

Squats

PR - 2x10x225

10x45, 10x135 warmup

3x10x205

Walking DB lunge

2x9x50
9x45

lying Hammy Curls

10x95
10x110
8x95

Hmm..meh. I didnt feel like I was going down quite as far as I would have liked with the 2nd set of squats, so I decided to stick with that weight and concentrate on going lower for set 3 instead of upping the weight. Weight was pretty meh but hopefully i will get it going back up soon. I think my hammy's/glutes are super weak compared to my quads right now and it makes not going all the way down on the last few reps so tempting. Need to work on that. Takes awhile to unlearn bad habits I guess. DB lunges were alright, almost up there with my best. Hammys felt rly good, I wanna start with sldl's but I seriously am so exhausted after lunges. I dunno...didnt do calves again...meh, maybe next time..not a big priority.

Next week goals: No idea. legs are being pretty erratic and i have no idea what to shoot for. maybe same weight with very strict form. might go 135, then 185 instead of str8 to 205 or 225. Id like to lunge with 55's as well which would be a first for me...we'll see tho its making me sort of cringe thinking about it.

Side note: Weight has finally broken my plateau...after being sick/hurt for the 3 weeks it dropped from I think 171 down to 165 about 10 days ago...its not back up to 173 which is an all time high, so yay. Definately noticing some improvements in size too, so its not all just fat [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (even tho i have been slipping a bit on diet lately..but pretty good for the most part [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

-Mike

mperich 11-02-2007 02:46 AM

11/01/2007

Shoulders

4min bike warmup

Seated DB Overhead Press

PR 10x55

8x55
10x60
8x55

Standing Military Press

6x95
6x85

Front DB Raises

3x10x17.5

lateral DB Raises

3x10x17.5

rear delt machine

10x100
10x115
8x115

Shrugs

10x60

Didnt get to do military press to start the day like I wanted to...all the bars were being used, which is becoming a common theme in my gym (and is v. annoying) I finished my DB press and a bar opened up so I figured I felt pretty good stamina wise, and Id do a couple sets. They went ok and my shoulders were really burning after. Shrugs I only did 1 set cuz I have been having callous problems lately and I have deads tmrw most likely so I thought Id save the grip cuz I dont really care about traps. All in all, strong workout, set a PR on the DB press for the 2nd week in a row and felt v. good endurance wise.

Goals: Hmm I dunno maybe 115x8 on the mil press? I have no idea if I can do it or not but itd be cool so Ill try.

Tmrws workout: Back. Hopefully goes well..its been a pretty good week so prolly gonna be a good workout (as long as my hands hold up)

-Mike