Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Official NHL 2006-07 Regular Season Thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=227669)

Triumph36 10-03-2006 05:33 PM

Official NHL 2006-07 Regular Season Thread

Well, there's not many of us, and the rest of the board is talking about the baseball playoffs - I figured one thread (and a Sabres thread) should do it.

The season kicks off with three games on Wednesday night - Buffalo at Carolina, Ottawa at Toronto, and Dallas at Colorado.

highlife 10-03-2006 05:34 PM

Re: Official NHL 2006-07 Regular Season Thread

i hate regular season hockey ever so much.

4 High 10-03-2006 05:36 PM

Hopefully ill be able to go to a few Islanders games this year. I was gunna be a six pack but im not spending like 400 bucks for 6 hockey games in meh seats when the team is gunna be mediocre at best.

mosuavea 10-03-2006 05:37 PM

Season tickets to the Sabres this year, cannot wait until the game tomorrow night and the home opener Friday against the Habs.

Skipping class to have a few people over since its one of the few times the Sabres will be shown in HD this year

Needle77 10-03-2006 05:40 PM

I personally can not get up for hockey anymore. But, I guess I'll be turning the Devils on in about mid January when the Jaguars have been knocked out of the playoffs and the Knicks have already been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

Triumph36 10-03-2006 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks - I hate college basketball, but since that's not 'cool', I don't wander into threads about that subject to talk about it.

THAY3R 10-03-2006 05:43 PM

http://www.mccanner.com/Wallpapers/J...00%20(New).jpg

highlife 10-03-2006 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks - I hate college basketball, but since that's not 'cool', I don't wander into threads about that subject to talk about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I should have said....I can't wait for the season to end so playoffs start and the games matter.

Triumph36 10-03-2006 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I should have said....I can't wait for the season to end so playoffs start and the games matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

The regular season has gotten more and more meaningful - this season should feature tighter playoff races than ever. There's about 12 teams from each league who have a legitimate shot to make it.

But yeah, the start of the NHL season is only for die-hards like me.

RunDownHouse 10-03-2006 05:51 PM

Wait, Jagr is still playing? He's still in one piece? He's still actually good enough so that fans look forward to his games instead of groaning?

PS this isn't Genesis '94 NHL, Jagr is nothing to get excited about. I'll just go find a nice picture of Al MacInnis to post and say, "Go Blues!"

highlife 10-03-2006 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The regular season has gotten more and more meaningful - this season should feature tighter playoff races than ever. There's about 12 teams from each league who have a legitimate shot to make it.

But yeah, the start of the NHL season is only for die-hards like me.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is true as well. It seems like the talent has really spread out the with recent changes (kinda obviously i guess). This makes for more exciting games in the regular season....

Hmmmm, I retract my previous statement. My apologies!

Triumph36 10-03-2006 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wait, Jagr is still playing? He's still in one piece? He's still actually good enough so that fans look forward to his games instead of groaning?

PS this isn't Genesis '94 NHL, Jagr is nothing to get excited about. I'll just go find a nice picture of Al MacInnis to post and say, "Go Blues!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha - Al MacInnis played for the Flames in NHL94. Also, Jagr was pretty garbage in that game.

THAY3R 10-03-2006 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jagr was one of, if not the best player in the NHL last year.

RunDownHouse 10-03-2006 06:10 PM

Call me a hater, but I don't see him being anything more than average this year. An incredible year out of a 35+ yr old defenseman that's been in the league for 16 years is the exception, not the rule.

But I'm not a diehard NHL fan, so I could be wrong.

THAY3R 10-03-2006 06:36 PM

Do you know who Jagr is?

RunDownHouse 10-03-2006 06:38 PM

He used to play next to some other overrated guy, right? On a team called the Pirates, maybe?

wh1t3bread 10-03-2006 06:42 PM

These last few posts are cracking me up.

Lets Go Rangers!

MacGuyV 10-03-2006 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, there's not many of us, and the rest of the board is talking about the baseball playoffs - I figured one thread (and a Sabres thread) should do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Wait, the season starts tomorrow? WTF

donfrap 10-03-2006 09:47 PM

i just got out of the military and moved back to Buffalo. Can't wait to see my first Sabres game in years.

GO SABRES!!!

B00T 10-03-2006 11:23 PM

wh1tebread...bring back the Malik avatar!!!

I am on the Imonen bandwagon and gonna love the ride this year.

I feel a huge season for him and Prucha.

Meezer 10-03-2006 11:55 PM

I've got season tickets to the Canes, though I couldn't afford the full deal. I'll settle for some select games, Center Ice, and a ton of beer. I'll be at the RBC tomorrow night and am yanking the kids out of school early so we can tailgate well before the game.

It will be great to see the cup banners go up...I've been watching the Whalers/Canes since I was wee and never thought I would see the day! To be honest, the Sabres will probably beat us tomorrow. We're skating thin and probably won't be looking good until November, but that's alright. Hockey's back [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

wh1t3bread 10-04-2006 06:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wh1tebread...bring back the Malik avatar!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

As soon as the Mets season is over, Malik is coming back.

TheRover 10-04-2006 07:36 PM

These Buffalo uniforms are disgusting.

Wes Mantooth 10-04-2006 08:46 PM

http://images.sportsline.com/u/photo...img6848048.jpg
http://www.photofile.com/Photos/Phot...Ovechkin01.jpg
http://images.allposters.com/images/PHO/862126.jpg
http://www.photofile.com/Photos/Phot...riyaPaul01.jpg
hockey rules

Mike Jett 10-04-2006 10:06 PM

Got all riled up about my benchboss fantasy league over at NHL.com.

Best sport evar.

go avs.

PatInTheHat 10-05-2006 03:04 AM

Oilers for cup this year ;o

mosuavea 10-05-2006 08:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
These Buffalo uniforms are disgusting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont like the white but I think the blue ones look great.

Nice to hear Barry Melrose say theyre the worst uniforms in sports while wearing a purple suit and sporting a greasy ass mullet.

hawk59 10-05-2006 08:53 AM

Devil's get the $3.5mm in cap relief they were looking for.

Freerollin` 10-05-2006 10:26 AM

I feel better overall now that my hockey fix is being satiated.

MarkSummers 10-05-2006 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just like last year, this is your entire team. Unfortunately, other teams have more than one player so have fun with another first round playoff exit. I guess you can look forward to maybe not getting swept.

I admit my Islanders are going to be bad, but it's almost just as good watching Ranger fans getting all riled up about a team that's not even close to being a cup contender.

NhlNut 10-05-2006 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've got season tickets to the Canes,

[/ QUOTE ]

Please root hard for Tim Gleason. After 1 game, Kings fans miss him already. He was very good last night.

MarkSummers 10-05-2006 12:53 PM

Also, are any of you doing fantasy hockey? I'm in a league that is head to head each week, but scoring is simply based on who wins a category for that week. So, if the team i'm playing against scores 24 assits and I only score 19, he gets a point for that category. In every matchup, there are 12 points up for grabs each week in the categories. G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, W, L, GAA, SV%. Should be interesting. I'm not too happy with my team as I had the last pick, but I'm hoping for the best.

My starters

C: Datsyuk, Andy McDonald
RW: Cheechoo, Bertuzzi
LW: Straka, Tucker (PIMs are good not bad [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )
D: Redden, Zidlicky, Mike Van Ryn, Zhitnik
G: Luongo, Ward

I don't know why I typed all that out, I doubt anyone cares [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

THAY3R 10-05-2006 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just like last year, this is your entire team. Unfortunately, other teams have more than one player so have fun with another first round playoff exit. I guess you can look forward to maybe not getting swept.

I admit my Islanders are going to be bad, but it's almost just as good watching Ranger fans getting all riled up about a team that's not even close to being a cup contender.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brendan Shanahan and Sandis Ozolinsh say hi.

Oh yea, and the Edmonton Oilers say hi too.

Meezer 10-05-2006 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've got season tickets to the Canes,

[/ QUOTE ]

Please root hard for Tim Gleason. After 1 game, Kings fans miss him already. He was very good last night.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was awesome!! I thought Walker (from the Preds) would be the one to watch, but Gleason was all over the place! Hopefully, Johnson will work out for you guys pretty quickly. Send someone up to Michgan to break his legs if he doesn't stop with that college crap.

CrazyPsycho 10-05-2006 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Brendan Shanahan and Sandis Ozolinsh

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? HAHAHAHAHAH

Triumph36 10-05-2006 04:58 PM

You're joking about Sandis Ozolinsh, right? His NHL career is finished - he will be in the minor leagues all this year. Sounds like you should stick to baseball, 'cause right now you sound like the phb of NHL talk.

The Rangers are Cup contenders but need to seriously upgrade the defense to be put with San Jose, Anaheim, Ottawa, and Buffalo.

Speaking of Amateur Hour: The Carolina Hurricanes are going to do another banner-raising on Friday night against New Jersey. WTF? This is worse than when they let Mark Messier have the Stanley Cup for his retirement.

MarkSummers 10-05-2006 05:02 PM

OK, Shanahan is old but can still put up some numbers, Ozolinsh is on IR. This is pretty standard procedure considering post 1994 Rangers. Acquire washed up players who can't perform anymore. In those 10+ years, the best that has ever worked for them was last year's first round sweep by the Devils. All this after doing what the Tigers just did losing the division on the last day of the season.

Probably the best pickup by them this offseason was Matt Cullen. Sure, they're a better team than last year, but do you think Jagr can put up the type of numbers he did last year? For the sake of the Rangers, he's going to have to again. He's also going to have to stay healthy which is always a concern with Jagr.

Just like last year, teams will again realize the Rangers are a one trick pony. In the playoffs, they'll be lucky to escape the first round. The east is filled with young teams with good amounts of depth. You can be hopefull, but I just don't see the Rangers doing any damage this spring.

Why are the Oilers saying hi?

1C5 10-05-2006 05:05 PM

Predictions:

Ottawa is a threat if Gerber plays weel. He played awesome last night, 1st star.

Ducks will be good this year.

Flames will be very good.

The Wings can win the cup IF Hasek stays uninjured.

Many exciting goal scorers this year, the top of the list will look pretty close to last year expect Iginla will be higher up I think.

NJ will be tough as usual.

Philly will be tough if Forsberg is healthy.

Will be fun to see what Vancouver can do with a good goalie for a change.

Triumph36 10-05-2006 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, Shanahan is old but can still put up some numbers, Ozolinsh is on IR. Probably the best pickup by them this offseason was Matt Cullen. Sure, they're a better team than last year, but do you think Jagr can put up the type of numbers he did last year? For the sake of the Rangers, he's going to have to again. He's also going to have to stay healthy which is always a concern with Jagr.

Just like last year, teams will again realize the Rangers are a one trick pony. In the playoffs, they'll be lucky to escape the first round. The east is filled with young teams with good amounts of depth. You can be hopefull, but I just don't see the Rangers doing any damage this spring.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Rangers have seriously upgraded their depth at every position. They're a little weak on the 3rd line, but they don't have garbage like Marcel Hossa taking a regular shift for them. Their 2nd power play unit is no longer a joke. Jason Strudwick is no longer a starting defenseman. While Jagr is not likely to repeat last season, he doesn't have to. The team's defense and other offensive players should compensate.

MarkSummers 10-05-2006 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OK, Shanahan is old but can still put up some numbers, Ozolinsh is on IR. Probably the best pickup by them this offseason was Matt Cullen. Sure, they're a better team than last year, but do you think Jagr can put up the type of numbers he did last year? For the sake of the Rangers, he's going to have to again. He's also going to have to stay healthy which is always a concern with Jagr.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Rangers have seriously upgraded their depth at every position. They're a little weak on the 3rd line, but they don't have garbage like Marcel Hossa taking a regular shift for them. Their 2nd power play unit is no longer a joke. Jason Strudwick is no longer a starting defenseman. While Jagr is not likely to repeat last season, he doesn't have to. The team's defense and other offensive players should compensate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Offense is better. Defense still looks to me like average at best...