Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Shannon Shorr thinking of quitting ... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=546255)

Vega33 11-14-2007 06:13 PM

Shannon Shorr thinking of quitting ...

this is a good, sobering blog post for those thinking of making a living at poker:

http://www.shannonshorr.com/myblog/#0,0

Limping through November
November 11, 2007, 11:25 am by Shannon Shorr
It's been a while since the last update. I've been playing online tournaments pretty routinely the last week or so. In short, I've been getting killed. I don't think I made any final tables, and basically you have to do that to make money in online MTT. I have been running much worse than EV though, unfortunately. I've also dabbled in some HU NLHE cash. It started to go well, but things have turned sour in that department too. It's so sick how much NLHE has changed in the last year. I just haven't been able to adjust at all, I guess. Maybe things will turn around. Maybe they won't. I thought I had what it takes to play poker professionally, but I'm starting to doubt myself. One thing is for sure. This game isn't for the weak. All of you kids who are thinking about dropping out of school and doing this...think again. Most of you will be done before you ever even get started. I'm not enjoying playing full-time one bit. I probably should dedicate more time to reading/studying the game and players like some guys do. I just don't want to invest any more time into this stupid game than I already do. It seems like I'm at the computer so much already. Some of these kids with their 4438957 posts on 2p2 just live so [censored] one-dimensionally. They really get off to this game. There is a very, very good chance that my last hurrah as a poker player will be at Five Diamond later this month. There's so many more interesting things I want to do with my time and money. I liked the person I was before poker a lot more, I think. Who knows though. I've pondered retiring from poker several times as you guys recall, and I've never really left the game. Maybe I'll win Five Diamond for like a million and a half. I've been talking to one of my friends who is an online MTT superstar, and there's a good chance I've been making a fairly fundamental mistake in MTTs. The funny thing about this game is that you always think you're playing perfect poker. I've tried several different strategies this year in live MTTs, and I look back at each of them and think wtf. I've played like a super nit, and the day after busting I tell myself I should've loosened up. I've played like a Swedish maniac and the next day I tell myself I should've played like a nit. Maybe I'm thinking TOO much. I'm playing the Sunday tournaments today. Let's make something happen.
Aside from poker, not too much has been going on. Stephanie and I ran all five days this week. This is something of which I'm very proud. Albeit, each run just averaged 11 minutes. I plan on running five more days next week and hopefully I'll be back in shape in no time. We've also bought groceries and have been eating fairly healthy. The plan is to get back in shape without doing a crash diet like Atkins. We've also rented a bunch of movies and been to the theater at Palms a couple of times. If you haven't seen Even Money or Breach than a highly suggest that you do. Both of these are sick, sick, sick movies. I also enjoyed the animated, Surf's Up. Don't go see Dan in Real Life. It's awful. Steve Carrell is one of the funniest guys in the world, and they give him one funny line in the movie. We went to see Maroon 5 at The Pearl at Palms last night. It was a really great show, although I don't know too much of M5's music. The Pearl is a great place to watch a concert. I think its second only to The Tabernacle in Atlanta as the best place I've ever seen a concert. I'm probably gonna go see Tool one or both nights that they're at Pearl (Dec 13-14), so if there are any metal heads reading that wanna go email me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'll be back in Birmingham Tuesday the 20th through Monday the 26th for Thanksgiving, so that should be cool. Until next post...

SS

Feltin Licter 11-14-2007 06:15 PM

Re: Shannon Shorr thinking of quitting ...

Is SHannon SHorr like Taylor Caby? Who else posts under their real name besides coincided, suburban frat boys?

BH2O 11-14-2007 06:17 PM

and we care because?

artard 11-14-2007 06:19 PM

I have no idea who Shannon Shorr is but I just read the bio on his blog and he seems like some random guy who went on a hot streak in tournaments and is now being pulled back into reality because he's realized he's not as good at poker as he originally thought. Big deal.

Clayton 11-14-2007 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is SHannon SHorr like Taylor Caby? Who else posts under their real name besides coincided, suburban frat boys?

[/ QUOTE ]

yo

SenatorKevin 11-14-2007 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea who Shannon Shorr is but I just read the bio on his blog and he seems like some random guy who went on a hot streak in tournaments and is now being pulled back into reality because he's realized he's not as good at poker as he originally thought. Big deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's a douche and thinks he's better than anyone else.

DonkStrike 11-14-2007 06:26 PM

This story gets repeated hundreds if not thousands of times each year.

Step 1: Go deep into a few tournaments when you start out

Step 2: Over estimate your poker and money management capabilities

Step 3: Come to the realization that live tournament poker, after expenses and taxes, is almost impossible to come out ahead on (esp. since losses cannot be carry forward)

Step 4: Wake up to reality and start having a productive life and relationships.

You've got to at least give Shannon props for going through all of these steps on a public forum, whatever his original intentions for doing so were.

pokerprochris 11-14-2007 06:26 PM

SS is a good guy and definetly a good poker player FYI

good2cu 11-14-2007 06:29 PM

I perosnally agree with eveyrthing shannon said beside being the sickest upswing of my life. Being a poker pro is not for the faint of heart and def isn't the healthiest lifestyle.

EmpireMaker2 11-14-2007 06:30 PM

"I probably should dedicate more time to reading/studying the game and players like some guys do. I just don't want to invest any more time into this stupid game than I already do."

Doesn't any good job require this anyway? This might be the worst few lines in any poker blog ever. Hes saying I really want to turn around my results, but I don't want to put in the time or the effort to become better.

king_of_drafts 11-14-2007 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, I think you mean conceited

imabigdeal 11-14-2007 06:34 PM

when the passion is gone... it's probably time to move on

Vega33 11-14-2007 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Doesn't any good job require this anyway? This might be the worst few lines in any poker blog ever. Hes saying I really want to turn around my results, but I don't want to put in the time or the effort to become better.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good point, but one of the hardest things about poker is that often variance rewards bad decisions so when you're reeling and in a downswing it's hard to get your bearings on what "correct" poker is. You learn the wrong lessons even if you're working hard at getting better.

Poker is such a tough game to win at consistently when you see different top players winning with completely different styles of play. It drove me nuts when I tried to do it full-time and I finally realized I could never wake up in the morning knowing I had to win at poker to eat. I admire you guys who can stay in it, though.

KexChoklad123 11-14-2007 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"I probably should dedicate more time to reading/studying the game and players like some guys do. I just don't want to invest any more time into this stupid game than I already do."

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my thought also. I would say in poker, unless you plan to kill 300-600 NL, a player put in less hours then in any other job. Multitable 2-3 hours per day and read/write 2+2 1h per day. Not much IMO

Apathy 11-14-2007 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Shannon is an awesome dude and is completely laid back, chill and fun to hang out with. I don't know why you would say that about him, other then maybe you've never met him and just felt like making some random judgment on teh internets.

Stinger88 11-14-2007 06:42 PM

lol Feltin Licter is the biggest jealous hater ever. I always get a kick out of people who knock frat guys too. Has anyone ever heard anyone who actually was in a frat regret their experience? No, they all have a great time and make a bunch of great friends. Jealousy is a bitch.

Halfpoint 11-14-2007 06:43 PM

Who was it that said, "Son you're still young, so do yourself a favor and dont waste your whole life playing this stupid game...."

Daddy Warbucks 11-14-2007 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What is with you with the good, sensible posts lately?

JLimbs 11-14-2007 06:49 PM

I am close friends with Shannon and we were roomates this summer. I have seen first hand how much of a struggle playing at such a high level can be. He is an amazing player, but like most people that are great at something he holds himself to a very high standard and is too hard on himself.

I think its commendable that Shannon is able to be honest in his blog about what he is going through, too many poker players lie about their results to protect their ego. Say what you want about Shannon, but he has had more success playing poker then most people that read this forum, so think twice before you judge.

-Jerry

imabigdeal 11-14-2007 06:50 PM

my guess is that he's been sober more, but idk could be wrong

Ansky 11-14-2007 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree w/ this completely.

No offense to Shannon, I have heard he is quite good, but there are like 4 ppl in the entire world who can really make a living at online MTTs. There just isn't a enough high stakes volume available (and no, I do not think the 20r and 100fo is high stakes). If you could 8 table 215s then yea, itd be a good way to make a living, but you can't and it's just a terrible idea to be a professional MTT player.

0524432 11-14-2007 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Shannon is an awesome dude and is completely laid back, chill and fun to hang out with. I don't know why you would say that about him, other then maybe you've never met him and just felt like making some random judgment on teh internets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you're not suprised. 2+2, NVG especially, has become a haven for people who get off lurking around responding Ban. or [ ] "Insert smart [censored] comment here" to just berate who ever they can.

Don't get me wrong, 2+2 is the most prestigious online poker forum for a reason, but the mods here need to do more to keep the flaming under control IMO, it is regressive to the status of these forums.

SS should be applauded for being so honest about his experiences with the life of a full-timer and whether some of you would like to admit it or not, many will take what he is saying to heart. If nothing else, SS may have just saved a few players from dropping out of college because the ran well in donkaments for a month and save them from turning their lives upside down, often in a way that is very much irreversible.

Halfpoint 11-14-2007 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am close friends with Shannon and we were roomates this summer. I have seen first hand how much of a struggle playing at such a high level can be. He is an amazing player, but like most people that are great at something he holds himself to a very high standard and is too hard on himself.

I think its commendable that Shannon is able to be honest in his blog about what he is going through, too many poker players lie about their results to protect their ego. Say what you want about Shannon, but he has had more success playing poker then most people that read this forum, so think twice before you judge.

-Jerry

[/ QUOTE ]

The way he said that he started dabbling in cash games says it all. It is too damn hard to be a full-time tournament player. The Iveys, Reese's and Brunsons of the poker world made their money in cash games, not tournaments.

I know more than a few bracelet holders/$1k$10kbuyin winners that refuse to play cash games because "they are tournamnet players" They are busto wayyyyy to often to be considered sucessful pros.

gobbomom 11-14-2007 06:57 PM

He's right. "Dan in Real Life" is horrible.

88jayhawks 11-14-2007 07:01 PM

all the hate in this thread is probably make shannon work harder to prove you retards wrong. gl shannon.

Jurollo 11-14-2007 07:01 PM

Shannon is a friggin awesome dude. The kid who trashed him here obviously hasnt ever met him.

Ansky,
I play strictly MTT's [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

PBFan 11-14-2007 07:03 PM

GG

Vega33 11-14-2007 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

SS should be applauded for being so honest about his experiences with the life of a full-timer and whether some of you would like to admit it or not, many will take what he is saying to heart.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree, which is why I've enjoyed reading his blog even though there are a lot of blogs by bigger names out there. Shannon is honest and doesn't just try to prop himself up, like so many out there. Those thinking about entering the tournament poker life would do well to read the archives of his blog and see what it's like.

hobiejuan1 11-14-2007 07:22 PM

I know Shannon personally ( I took him on in the weight-loss prop bet) and anyone that thinks he is a douche has never met the guy. He's one of the nicest and most humble guys you will ever come across. He'll be successful in whatever he chooses to do in life. Piss on anybody that thinks otherwise

jcmoussa 11-14-2007 07:27 PM

before he moved onto donkaments,shannon was actually a pretty tough full ring 25/50 player

Boosted J 11-14-2007 07:30 PM

if I had a ringy cool name like Shannon Shorr, I might use it too lol. I've talked to Shannon multiple times on AIM and is a seemingly good guy. I'm not sure how well he plays because we havent really played that much in cash and never in tourneys, but gl mr. shorr

Cornell Fiji 11-14-2007 07:30 PM

Shannon,

While I was really looking forward to you making 4438957 posts in the HSMTT forum, if your heart isn't in it then it is best to move on while you are still young and have career options and time to figure things out... You are obviously bright enough to be sucessful in anything.

All the best,
Steve

HoosierAlum 11-14-2007 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know Shannon personally and anyone that thinks he is a douche has never met the guy. He's one of the nicest and most humble guys you will ever come across. He'll be successful in whatever he chooses to do in life. Piss on anybody that thinks otherwise

[/ QUOTE ]

matt85 11-14-2007 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
before he moved onto donkaments,shannon was actually a pretty tough full ring 25/50 player

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know anything about the guy but surely anybody who can beat $25/50NL should be able to make much, much more from online cash than online MTT's on an annual basis?

Best of luck with whatever you choose though, i've been there (albeit not with poker) and its a complete mind-[censored] every single day not knowing what you really want to do with yourself.

Hipsdontlie69 11-14-2007 07:38 PM

well first thing he should do is change his name to roberto or something, cuz nobody on the table is going to be scared of a dude named Shannon.

Anyway, he's a good poker player but poker has a high element of luck on it that it doesn't really matter if ur the best some players will hit there straight or flush on the turn or river.

stephenNUTS 11-14-2007 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

100%

Much more of man than,90% of the anonymous azzzholes who now chastise his brutal honesty.They only WISH they had the run Shannon had last year,as well as being able to come to a very humbling conclusion as to his future

No matter what path you choose Shannon going foward...you have proven yourself a success already,and waaay beyond a financial point of view alone.

You are all right in my book sir!

GL
Stephen [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Kyle 11-14-2007 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yo

[/ QUOTE ]

double yo

DCJ311 11-14-2007 07:40 PM

cliffsnotes: guy ran good for a year, found out he's not as good as he thought, gives a lot of bad advice

futuredoc85 11-14-2007 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
cliffsnotes: guy ran good for a year, found out he's not as good as he thought, gives a lot of bad advice

[/ QUOTE ]

heh no, but [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] the irony here

LiveNow 11-14-2007 07:48 PM

there's so much variance in tournament poker it's sick. Obviously my opinion means nothing in this matter, but shannon is clearly a bright individual who could learn cash games to nut a nice monthly income fairly easily. GL.