Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   blind defence review hand....gogogo (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=494024)

OziBattler 09-05-2007 06:50 AM

blind defence review hand....gogogo

I thought I'd look over some hands from a recent session review and find one to post. Well, this is the very first hand that that I commented on. No reads since hero just posted the blind. What say you?

Bonus Question: if you dont like the way hero played this against an unknown then lets assume that Hero had reads/stats on this particular villian that I didnt have at my disposal.... what reads/stats would you want on villian to make the chosen line correct?

oh and noobs and lurkers are welcome in this thread and are encouraged to grunch it.

edit: to be clear. I did not play this hand, I reviewed it and Im asking the Bonus Question not because my reviewer partner had reads but because...well because I can and I think its a reasonable question in so far as it should make you think about reads that matter for blind defence.

Full Tilt 0.25/0.5 Hold'em (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.20 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (5.20 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks.

Final Pot: 5.20 BB

Bona 09-05-2007 07:04 AM

Re: blind defence review hand....gogogo

I'm not liking this much. I think its probably fielders choice whether to defend here HU against a possible MP steal. (thats something I would like a read on since you asked) If I do defend though I am raising preflop or at least c/r the flop. Then leading until raised.

I know some will say wtf of course defend with this but I'm not so sure. There is only marginal value to being suited in a HU pot and K6 is not very strong against a legitimate preflop raising range. I think basically the choice is try to resteal, in which case we need to get real aggressive, real early. Or give it up pre flop.

neurotiq 09-05-2007 07:25 AM

I don't think I'd defend against an unknown with K6s. If I did defend with this hand, though, I'd probably 3bet it pf and lead the flop, calling down with my middle pair if I get raised...

I have no idea if this is correct. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'm not the best when it comes to blind defense.

kerowo 09-05-2007 07:44 AM

I don't know that MP3 is stealing here and if you won it's because you ran into the non-ace, non-king portion of his open raising range.

That said, if this was a steal situation I like it. You get the most out of someone who is representing the ace but would fold to a raise and lose the least from someone who isn't stealing but value raising.

ciro bonano 09-05-2007 08:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
oh and noobs and lurkers are welcome in this thread and are encouraged to grunch it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Fitting all criteria.

I think I fold this preflop against an unknown (I usually play 1/2 6max crypto). I certainly call it against a sb opener, but only call it against an aggressive button raiser or a hyperaggressive (ATSB &gt; 50%) CO opener. I'd need K9s+ to call in more situations. I understand I have the required hot/cold equity preflop to call but I find K6s difficult to play postflop against an unknown.

Given the preflop call and the AK7r board our equity is decent (40% against a range of 22+,Ax+, any 2 broadways) so I'm certainly calling the flop, and probably calling the turn. Although the turn/river cards are good I think I check/fold the river because he's not firing his 66 UI again.

edit: If I'm getting to showdown I'm probably calling down, I don't think raising gets us any more value. Board is dry enough.

mvoss 09-05-2007 08:54 AM

I think hero played it very well, this line will win you the most when ahead and lose you the least when behind.

Lawman 09-05-2007 08:56 AM

With no reads I'm folding preflop. You don't want to see an A on the flop and you can't be sure you won't be dominated with a K. MP3 is a bit early for a genuine steal at 0.25/0.5

What I'd like to know is:-
(i) how's the table playing? Supertight and passive and the raiser might have a very wide range
(ii) what's hero's image from the blinds (&amp; would raiser notice)?
(iii) how tight is raiser and what's his PFR stats (does he usually raise first in)?
(iv) how aggressive is he post-flop?
(iv) how likely is raiser to lay down before showdown?

sharpie 09-05-2007 09:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think hero played it very well, this line will win you the most when ahead and lose you the least when behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I'd fold to a river bet usually.

shuinthehouse 09-05-2007 09:49 AM

First hand, no reads, I'm folding this. I will take this line against an MP3 raise only with a specific read that villain will steal raise loose from MP3. Most villains do not steal from MP3 at .5/1, i'm assuming similar for .25/.5. I'm probably folding this against a HJ steal also in a first hand at table with no reads situation.

With no reads I like this line as win most/lose least in a blind defense vs. CO or button.

cmcneilly 09-05-2007 11:33 AM

*noob grunch*

Fold pre for me, especially since I don't have any read and I'm just sitting down. No sense of how the table is playing, or how this guy is playing.

To call this, villain would have to have a history of aggression from hijack. Alternatively, if this table had been wicked tight for the last few rounds, then I might also be suspicious.

As played, fold turn.