Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Books and Publications (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   limit holdem em semi-beginner book (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=406031)

suzy89222 05-18-2007 01:57 AM

limit holdem em semi-beginner book

so my boyfriend has been playing LHE for a few months, and it's time he reads a book or two. what do you guys think the best semi-beginner LHE book is? thanks.

fraac 05-18-2007 01:59 AM

Re: limit holdem em semi-beginner book

"Weighing The Odds in Texas Hold 'em" by King Yao

suzy89222 05-18-2007 02:00 AM

hmm never even heard of that one, i'll check it out. thanks.

Gelford 05-18-2007 02:02 AM

Small Stakes limit hold'em by Ed Miller is the semibeginner book

Winning in tough hold'em games by Grudzien (stox) and Herzog is the advanced book

(And Getting started in hold'em by Ed Miller is the beginners book)

That is what the 2+2 library can do for you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (IMO the Stox book has pushed Hold'em for advanced players by Sklansky/Malmuth a bit in the background)

Edit: Weighting the odds in hold'em by Yao is a good book, but I wouldn't put it ahead of the above ones.

kassdog 05-18-2007 02:47 AM

Would you guys recremend small stakes holdem too. I just picked this up and just by reading a couple of pages(the beggining) I feel like I've learned more than the past 4 "pro written"(hellmuth/doyle) books combined. Or do you think small stakes holdem is a little more advanced.

Adman 05-18-2007 02:47 AM

Small stakes hold em is the best book for the limit player bar none. Internet Texas hold em by Matthew Hilger is also excellent. I strongly disagree with the recommendation of "Weighing the odds" for a beginner. It's a bit more of an advanced book and the chapters on calculating odds via his DIPO method are, in my opinion, a bit ridiculous and only serve to complicate what should be a pretty simple process. Definitely go with either SSHE or ITH and he won't go wrong.

Gonso 05-18-2007 03:33 AM

SSHE is definitely the best choice for the situation, but I'd also consider Ed Miller's DVDs. They're aimed at the intermediate player.

suzy89222 05-18-2007 12:26 PM

i also heard that winning low limit holdem by lee jones was a great one. anyone agree? thanks for all of the input.

Quebecker 05-18-2007 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i also heard that winning low limit holdem by lee jones was a great one. anyone agree? thanks for all of the input.

[/ QUOTE ]

Winning Low Limit Hold'em by Lee Jones is a great one. But it's a beginner book. If your friend have read 1 or 2 book already, he will not find anything new in that one.

dirty banana2007 05-18-2007 08:12 PM

The choice of which books obviously depends on his current ability, but I would recommend that Internet Texas Holdem (ITH) is read before SSHE. ITH covers areas that SSHE doesnt, such as how to play certain hands on particular flops (for example trips on a flop showing three cards of the same suit)that SSHE assumes players are already familiar with.

If he feels he isnt ready for ITH then Lee Jones Winning low limit holdem or GSIH are both excellent choices.