Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   My Limit Holdem "Strategy" (What should be changed) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=86529)

Banana Joe 04-13-2006 12:07 PM

My Limit Holdem \"Strategy\" (What should be changed)

Hi all,

I am new to this place and pretty green at online poker also. Been playing limit for 25,000 hands now at $0.25/$0.50 stakes with good results.

My problem is that I now have a bankroll for $1/$2 limit hold'em but sofar my gameplan for limit has been "by the books" so to speak.

I would like you experts to take a look at how I am playing and tell me if I need to change gameplan for $1/$2 and if indeed my good results on 0.25/0.50 has been due to playing correct or if you think that my game plan needs changes even at the limit I am beating right now.

My gameplan:

Sklansky Hand Groupings:
Grp1: AA KK QQ JJ AKs (Raise All Pos)
Grp2: 1010 AQs AJs KQs AK (Raise MP,LP)
Grp3: 99 J10s QJs KJs A10s AQ (Raise LP)
Grp4: 10/9s KQ 88 Q10s 98s J9s AJ K10s (LP)
Grp5: 77 87s Q9s 10/8s KJ QJ J10 76s 97s Axs 65s
Grp6: 66 A10 55 86s K10 Q10 54s K9s J8s 75s
Grp7: 44 J9 10/9 33 98 64s 22 Kxs 10/7s Q8s 53s 43s
Grp8: 96s 85s J7s 74s A9 Q9 J8 10/8 42s 32s 87 76 65 54 K9

SB: Will call to see flop if there is no
raises with all hands!

Early position and no raises hands from
grp 1-4 is playable.

If Raises:
Grp 1/2 is playable in early position.
(grp 3 and pairs also if it's a
loose table)

I will also call with Axs from time to time if the table is loose with lots of limpers.

If I have called to see the flop and
someone raises without it being re-raised
I will call to see flop.

Flops Good Hand Out Of Position:
Check-Raise, Lead turn & River 70% of
the time! Last 30% I bet/raise/re-raise)

Check/raise + lead on turn is also used
on good draws such as Flush+straight draws!

Overcards To The Flop:
Without raises I will opt. To call and see
turn card or try with a raise to steal.

Pocket Pairs:
Will see most flops with any pocket pair as
long as there have been no preflop raises.
Small pairs will be folded on the flop if
I do not hit trips.

If my pair is bigger than the flop i will
bet or check-raise.

This is my gameplan in a nutshell.

I do on occasion mix my play by calling to see flop with small suited connectors and the alike but it is not something I do alot.

One of my strong forces is that I remember alot of hands people play and how they play them so if I have a good read and is heads up I will not be bulllied out of a pot.

I need suggestions to better my gameplan as I plan on moving up to $1/$2 limit but Im lacking the last confidence and need some inspiration and pointers on what you think about my play and what I need to change (and read if you know good articles/books).

Thanks
Banana Joe

milesdyson 04-13-2006 12:10 PM

Re: My Limit Holdem \"Strategy\" (What should be changed)

read, study, play. forget your "gameplan"

Banana Joe 04-13-2006 12:14 PM

Serious,

or am I missing your "gold nuggests".

Being a fairly new player i have read a few books hence I took time to "show" my playing style even if it means people will laugh because I really want to become a good limit player.

Back to my question if I should forget my gameplan do you also mean I am playing the wrong hands?

Thanks

kerowo 04-13-2006 12:15 PM

I wouldn't really skip limits like that. I would take half of it out and buy a new lens for my DSLR and play at .5/1.

Banana Joe 04-13-2006 12:17 PM

noted [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

What about how I play... to tight for these limits? Sofar I have been getting lots of action eventhou my image is tight even when the board says A999K and I have Quadnines [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

milesdyson 04-13-2006 12:17 PM

i mean dont be formulaic. you'll have to play hands differently against different opponents. you can't not adjust, so postflop gameplans are bulky and serve little purpose.

use a preflop chart and get to work playing hands. post a hand every few days to see if you played it well. read and study.

Gregatron 04-13-2006 12:17 PM

Welcome [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Sklansky's HEPFAP hand groupings is underused and undervalued. From what you wrote though, you could stand to loosen up and raise a bit more preflop. What are you doing with TT in first position? What about AQo? Try to get to where you raise these.

If I read yr post right you are thinking about skipping from .25/.5 to 1/2? It can be done, but I would stop at .5/1 first. You should emphasize your postflop play -- you seem to have a sound (though IMO suboptimal) preflop strategy. You can beat these limits playing well preflop and not being a total idiot postflop. You can be a big winner by playing both well.

Do you have Pokertracker? If not you should invest some of your roll in that. It is an INVALUABLE resource.

I will add more thoughts and advise as I think of it. Hang out here and just soak up stuff. You should learn lots.

SixT4 04-13-2006 12:18 PM

Your gameplan is maybe a page long. SSHE is a few hundred pages long.

Go figure [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

kerowo 04-13-2006 12:20 PM

Yea but SSHE has a lot of pictures and, IMHO, way too many adjectives.

Banana Joe 04-13-2006 12:20 PM

Gotcha Mike just had to be sure what you meant...

For starters I played my gameplan 100% but I am starting to play more and more "away" from it on accasions.. I think it has alot to do with confidence (in yourself and your observations at the table) so I hope to get there at some point [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]