Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Health and Fitness (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Thremp - Hot Sizzle Summer Log (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=440292)

Thremp 07-01-2007 11:38 AM

Thremp - Hot Sizzle Summer Log

It seems that I am now larger than I was, but have regained some of the fat I stripped off before I decided to go on a 2 month bender (namely graduation and then backpacking in Europe). Now that school is over there are same things that I want to make sure to achieve each day.

1) Cut down on the booze I drink (This will be almost impossible to fail at considering the level I was drinking, but I'd like to keep this to under 20 drinks per week for the immediate future)
2) Increase the meals I eat to 6-8 a day and begin to keep an accurate log with macro breakdowns with a slow phase in.
3) Do a mesocycle of EDT for bulking.
4) Try to get near-optimal pre and PWO nutrition.
5) Gain some weight.

anklebreaker 07-01-2007 01:02 PM

Re: Thremp - Hot Sizzle Summer Log

Yup, same thing here: I fell off for nearly four weeks of florida, myrtle beach, graduation week, and vegas. Crappy food+drinking+no lifting sucks.

I'm pretty happy with my nearly effortless rebound to good habbits though. 1) & 2) is key. Can you explain 3)?

I've found that the quality of my overall nutrition is a function of my feeding in the first couple of hours after waking, i.e. if I get in my vitamins, protein and breakfast in the morn, the rest of the day's nutrition takes care of itself.
Goodluck.

Thremp 07-02-2007 01:26 PM

Brag: Fitday is pretty cool and gonna save me a ton of time.
Beat: My maintain level is like 3k calories and then I think I have to add exercise in.
Beat: I'll probably end up getting the extra calories from alcohol.
Brag: I'm classified as moderately overweight, hopefully I can make morbidly obese soon (as per a BMI calc).
Variance: Ankle, this is the EDT workout I am doing. http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459765

mattnxtc 07-02-2007 01:42 PM

Just read an article saying not to take vitamins in the morning. I am working on finding out more details as to why.

1C5 07-02-2007 02:26 PM

That EDT article/program looks neat. Have you ever tried one before? I bet the intensity will be through the roof. I am looking forward to trying it very soon.

mattnxtc 07-02-2007 02:32 PM

I did it all last month and it is intense.

1C5 07-02-2007 02:36 PM

how did you like it and how were the results?

Thremp 07-02-2007 02:45 PM

1C5,

No, I have not. I am trying to start slow and then ramp it up as time goes by.

Matt,

Cool. Keep me posted on what you turn up.

All,

I did my first EDT set and am confused how to exactly set it up or exert myself. I am sure pacing yourself is the goal to success and not dying/overtraining on this gibber jabber.

I took it nice and easy this first day.

A1: Pull ups - I did some minor kipping and cut down on ROM to hit the reps I needed. Started to fail on the sets of 5 toward the end.
A2: Skullcrushers - This was an exercise that I usually never do since I don't do much tricep isolation work and when I did before I would use other exercises. Finally got used to it and didn't drop the bar. The bar for this weighs 15lbs? I had a couple 10s on each side, and this was easier than the Chins.

B1: Seated Row - Did these on the cable. 75 lbs.
B2: Reverse Tricep Pressdown - Using like 30lbs on a cable machine.

Notes: First 20 min set I got in 66 reps and made the mistake of putting my stations like 15 yards apart, which ends up soaking up a ton of time when you are walking an additional 300 or so yards needlessly. The second set I put the loading way too low and ended up with a 100 reps not even breathing hard. Will have to up weights across the board. I am shooting for a rep range of 60-70, so slightly less than Charles recommends while I am trying to get used to this program.

SmileyEH 07-02-2007 02:55 PM

thremp, I weighed one of those EZ-curl bars a couple years ago and it was 20lbs. Pretty sure that is the standard weight.

mattnxtc 07-02-2007 02:58 PM

Generally for a set of 5-6 reps you would use your 10rep max for your weight. Obviously it that feels to easy..move to your 8 rep max and do it...

Thremp 07-02-2007 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thremp, I weighed one of those EZ-curl bars a couple years ago and it was 20lbs. Pretty sure that is the standard weight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hot. Thanks. This def improves my massive ego jocking.

All,

I was doing sets of 5 and then tapering at the end when I had to grind it out. Will likely continue to do this.

Thremp 07-03-2007 05:13 PM

Some notes before I go into my log:
1) When I get the EZ Curl bar into place to do skullcrushers, I have to get up and lay down. Now this may not seem like it is very hefty, but doing this with 40 lbs on your chest and >10 times makes for a pretty exciting ab workout. When you couple this with the Swiss Ball crap I had to do today, you can understand why I'm sitting here with an ice pack on my stomach.
2) Given the fact that I have not lifted in two months and the absurd high volume that this program requires, there is an absurd amount of soreness that has happened and is expected to happen. I'll likely spend my time tomorrow recovering from possible partying tonight, feeling like death, and doing feeder workouts and icing and stretching in general.
3)Despite hiking being rather unballer, it has made a huge difference on the muscular endurance of my lower body. I thought a threw a challenging weight on for my 2nd session and I just crushed it.
4) I am not doing exactly the reps Staley recommends. I'm doing 60-70, which is his recommendation for 15 minute periods in a 20 minute period.

July 3 -
A1 - Hyperextension - BW
A2 - Swiss Ball Crunches - BW
Notes: 120 reps. Way more than I wanted to get.

B1 - Leg Extensions - 100 - 11500 total
B2 - Leg Curls - 70 - 8050 total
Notes: 115 reps. Really stunned as I thought this would be way closer to failure for hamstrings. Oh well looks like weight goes up next time as well.

GooseHinson 07-03-2007 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

These weigh 35lbs at my gym, and I thought that was standard.
http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/74/11/78...69_215X215.jpg

Thremp 07-03-2007 06:46 PM

Goose,

I could be super jacked then. Seems due to confusion I'll just have to weigh myself and then myself with the bar.

1C5 07-03-2007 07:40 PM

do you have any more links on EDT reads other than that one you posted? I am going to try it tomorrow for my workout.

Thremp 07-05-2007 01:55 PM

1C5,

Goto T-nation and search for EDT. There is a wealth of information.

Notes: I did the frat boy fantasy workout today. It sucked. I saw someone doing one arm clean and jerks and was deeply jealous. Whatever, I'm gonna be HOOGE. I didn't weigh myself either. When I got back here on Monday I was 168, and somewhat soft. I see a noticeable difference already. I'm sure a significant diet change and resuming lifting will have a substantial recomp effect in the first couple weeks.

Workout July 5

A1: Machine Bench - 100
A2: Low Cable Curl - 60
Reps: 95

B1: Incline Machine Bench - 75
B2: Preacher Hammer Curl - 20s
Reps: 81

Notes: Machines are terrible. It was harder than I thought. Stations for todays workout were far apart and it takes a significant amount of walking. I had some problems with the bench in the first set and then the Hammer Curls in the 2nd. As I am significantly above the rep range I want to be hitting I will increase weight next week on like the Cable Curls and Incline Bench as they were the easier of the two lifts. Weirdness.

Diet has been ~2500 calories each day which is around my basal and activity level. I'm trying to maintain a Zone diet and feed myself 6-8 times a day. This is significantly harder than it seems as it takes a ton of my time up, but all is well. I will manage.

Rootabager 07-06-2007 01:17 AM

Why machines?

Thremp 07-06-2007 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why machines?

[/ QUOTE ]

Read the article.

Thremp 07-06-2007 11:48 AM

I weighed the EZ Curl bar. 20. My ego will have to rest that I did more than I thought. Woohoo 40 lbs. I am so jacked.

Friday. I made one modification to this workout and substituted shrugs for seated calf raises. For 2 reasons. 1) I have calf development that most bodybuilders in my weight class would trade possibly their souls for, and don't really like it that way. 2) I want hooge traps.

A1: Alternating Lunges - 40
A2: Sit Ups - BW
Reps: 83

B1: Barbell Shrugs - 110
B2: Russian Twists - BW
Reps: 110

I will raise weight on everything except the Lunges. I've found some of the big time wasters to be switching between equipment. The way I do Russian Twists takes atleast 10 seconds to get into and out of when all sweaty. Ghey. And a decent bit of energy. Also lifting a lot of the weights into position by the 20th+ set takes a good bit out of you. The lunges and twists are slower paced exercises than most of the others so I expect that even with very light weight there won't be a whole ton of upward mobility with the numbers.

Thremp 07-09-2007 01:12 PM

Weighed myself today: 172. Maybe I will end up a disgusting fat body one day. The lunges on Friday still make me want to cry. Tomorrow may be brutal on that second set.

Today:
A1: Chins - BW
A2: EZ Bar Tricep Ext - 45
Reps: 66

B1: Seated Row - 87.5
B2: Reverse Grip Tricep Press - 40
Reps: 100

Notes: I used a longer ROM and a little less kip today on the chins. Since the gym I workout in is small and sucks, I had to let people work in which cut down on reps. Still I'm happy with doing a heavy load and having the same reps. 12.5% increase in work output for the tricep ext. I'll likely leave the weight the same and go for more reps next week. The second set I blazed through again. Not really too sure what to do. 16.6% increase in work for the rows and 25% on the tricep exercise. Not sure if I want to increase weight on the second set (I wish the were a 5 lbs increase), but I likely will increase weight again on both to lower the total reps as just moving back and forth between the machines is starting to become more of a cardio workout.

secretprankster 07-09-2007 01:57 PM

Thremp,

Assuming you don't get much soreness from squats or deads, if you still get sore from heavy, high-rep lunges (speaking for me personally), what does that indicate is a weak point?

Thremp 07-09-2007 02:01 PM

Secret,

I have no [censored] clue. I get soreness in quad, glute, and hammies. I think its directly correlated with the very high volume and excessive sets near failure. I probably do ~20-30 set in each of these. And the last 10 are within 2 reps of failure each time. Thought sometimes I eff up and hit failure and have 0 chance of grinding another rep out. I'd probably say the volume is the biggest culprit.

Note: I was doing backpacking for 6 weeks before so I assumed that legs wouldn't be as much of a problem for me as upper body. Wrong.

Thremp 07-10-2007 02:07 PM

Another day, another workout. Still sore from the lunges. Hopefully it'll work itself out over the next few days. I'll keep the drinking lower this weekend to help aid recovery.

A1: Hyper Extensions - 5
A2: Swiss Ball Situps - 5
Reps: 105

B1: Leg Extensions - 112.5
B2: Leg Curls - 80
Reps: 105

Notes: Weight will go up on A1/A2 next week. Reps are down on that, but getting more into a range I'd prefer. 6 reps a minute for 20 minutes isn't exactly what I'm shooting for. Even 5 a minute for the whole period is a little on the heavy side. Volume last week for Ext was 11500 while this week 11812.5. A meager 2.5% increase but I'm more than happy with it given the soreness and increased intensity I'm facing. Leg Curls last week were 8050 while this week were 8400 a little 4.3% increase given the same factors as before. Depending on how the lunges/soreness comes along I'll likely raise weight on this again and try to get the reps back down under 100.

thirddan 07-10-2007 02:42 PM

are you doing straight sets of my standard lifts in addition to these?

Thremp 07-10-2007 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
are you doing straight sets of my standard lifts in addition to these?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what you mean or are asking.

thirddan 07-10-2007 03:18 PM

i was just curious if your programming is just edt style or if you are including standard lifts like deads and squats in addition....

Thremp 07-10-2007 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i was just curious if your programming is just edt style or if you are including standard lifts like deads and squats in addition....

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, I linked the article above. Its just the basic beginner EDT program.

maniacut 07-10-2007 06:14 PM

How many cals you taking in and what update on your weight? This edt stuff sounds like it could put on some serious size

Thremp 07-10-2007 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How many cals you taking in and what update on your weight? This edt stuff sounds like it could put on some serious size

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm trying to eat around 2700 a day in a zone fashion. I'm not quite a diet Nazi so it varies a bit day by day. I was a little soft coming off my trip so I expect after the deloading that a little recomp will occur. I'll probably readjust as I get set into my current routine at the 1 month mark.

Thremp 07-12-2007 03:17 PM

I lied and upped weight on both benches today. Seemed to turn out okay. I'll run the numbers in a second after I give initial thoughts. I got my Surge today. Not as gross as I thought, but 30% hydrolyzed whey isn't tasty no matter how you church it up.

A1: Machine Bench Press - 112.5
A2: Low Cable Curl - 70
Reps: 87

B1: Incline Bench Press - 87.5
B2: Preacher Hammer Curls - 20s
Reps: 85

Notes: A little bit of crowding problem but not real severe. I'll try not to workout right around lunch. Though I did see/hear some funny stuff. Guys on the basketball team talking about their clean and press numbers: which suck. Bench work was 3% higher than last week. Low Cable Curls was 6.8% higher. Still the easiest of all the set in this workout. Incline Bench output was 22% higher and hammer curls was 5% higher. I anticipate these to all slow down into the lower single digits as I get the correct loading on each of these. But next week everything stays the same and I just try to add reps.

secretprankster 07-12-2007 03:39 PM

Surge rulezorz. You didn't by any chance get a flavored one did you? Curious how they are.

lol, there was a thread on t-nation a few days back about a guy who did a full serving pre-workout, one full during, and one post, and asking why he felt terrible.

mattnxtc 07-12-2007 04:08 PM

Why machine bench press?

Thremp 07-12-2007 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why machine bench press?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tilt.

Read the article linked above. Or reference the conversation from last week on the subject.

Thremp 07-13-2007 06:18 PM

Another day. Had poor sleep last night. Affected workout. I seem to sweat like a fat kid doing these sets too. Kinda has a metcon effect for good or worse.

A1: Alternating Lunges - 40
A2: Situps - 10
Reps: 90

B1: Shrugs - 125
B2: Russian Twists - 2.5
Reps: 135

Notes: I realized halfway in the 2nd set that I was doing "power shrugs" whatev. I'll try to clean up form next week. I moved Russian Twists to the floor instead of on an incline situp machine which saves a ton of time. Lunges saw an 8.4% increase in the work done. Shrugs got a 39% increase. Some of this from bad form but the vast majority of it was from cutting time in switching exercises. I'm still much lower than my 10RM on this exercise. Well not "much" but enough that I can grind sets of 5 for almost the whole period with fairly passable form. Probably increase weight across the board and make form fairly strict.

Thremp 07-16-2007 04:54 PM

Starting the third week. All is well more or less. Power problems today so I am annoyed at the whole world. Life goes on. /whine

A1: Pull ups - BW
A2: EZ Bar Skullcrushers - 45
Reps: 75

B1: Seated Row - 100
B2: Reverse Grip Pressdowns - 50
Reps: 88

Notes: 13% improvement in pull ups and skullcrushers. Will up weight for skullcrushers. ~20-25 reps of the pull-ups were dead hang which is solid. I'll take it. Going to try to keep form where it is and increase reps one last time without changing form. .5% improvement in seated row. Whoop whoop. I'll keep the weight the same for this workout next week. 10% improvement in tricep pressdown. Started Surge as of the last few workouts. I'm staving off any fat gain very well and look to be gaining a bit of mass. All in all a decent success.

Thremp 07-17-2007 07:14 PM

Another day.

A1: Hyperextensions - 10
A2: Swiss Ball Crunches - 10
Reps - 110

B1: Leg Extensions - 125
B2: Leg Curls - 90

Notes: I felt really excited about the workout today for some reason. Weight is currently 172 and a bit leaner than I was before when I weighed the same so I'd say so far the attempts at recomping are a success. I'll likely breakdown and do carbcycling next mesocycle. If anyone has good sources/expierences for that I'll be happy to listen. I'm not gonna calc work done because I'm lazy, but suffice to say that it went up substantially which I am happy with. Basketball players keep getting on these machines and moving the pads so I have no clue where to set them. Whatev. I'll likely up weight on atleast leg extensions or who knows. I dunno.

1C5 07-18-2007 12:01 PM

where in the edt articles does it talk about reps in the 20 minutes?
I tried this yesterday and for group A) pullups and triceps ext I got 45 and 43 reps.

The group B) Seated cable rows and Pressdowns I got 76 and 70 reps.

I am not sure which rep range would be better.

When you say this:

B1: Leg Extensions - 125
B2: Leg Curls - 90

Is that 50 reps and 50 reps for each excercise or 100 reps for each one?

Thremp 07-18-2007 01:10 PM

1C5,

In another article Staley talks about "preferring" ranges of 60-70 for his 15 minute sessions for the initial workouts. I was going to stick with these for the 20 minute sessions, but just realized that its way too little rep wise and I end doing too much failure training. So I'm trying to shoot for ~80 atm.

I'd probably stick with his recommendations at the moment if I was just trying this out. I usually do the same number of reps for each exercise and adjust each on a sliding scale. Sometimes when one exercise is really wiping you and the other is slightly easier... It gives a bit of rest instead of just constant wanting to die.

It's 100 reps per exercise.

1C5 07-18-2007 02:17 PM

Thanks.

What about the 15 min vs the 20 min. Just personal prefrence?

My tricpes and back are very, very sore today from the workout. I liked the 70 rep range better as with the 40 rep range I was way too close to failure on most of the sets, triceps especially.

Thremp 07-18-2007 02:22 PM

1C5,

Yeah, you'll get really sore. Volume is very high. 20 min are the beginner workout and only 2 sets while most others have 3 sets and are 15 minutes. I took the beginner workout since it'd been a very long time since I did this much volume. Actually I have not used this much volume from before my layoff.

Good luck.