Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Are nits the norm at Commerce 20-40? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=140028)

sternroolz 06-16-2006 04:06 PM

Are nits the norm at Commerce 20-40?

I made a foray into the 20-40 LHE at Commerce last night. First time I've played that high in about 8 years. I got the opportunity to watch the tables for 15 minutes or so until a seat was available to me. I guess I got just about the best table there....a loose passive guy(never folded a hand preflop), and a couple over agro bad players(raised any ace, any pp preflop from any position, then called down to the river). I also was struck by how amazingly easy it was to read most of the players. I was able to make value bets I would never make at $9-18...mostly of the TP second or third kicker vs. top pair middle kicker.

Anywho, soon after I sat down, a hand developed with loose passive guy and an asian player. On the turn the asian player bet and loose passive guy put out 10 chips, reached back and puts out 6 more. Lady to my left whispers "string bet" to the asian guy. No one else hears this. Asian guy says "string bet". Dealer says "I have to call floorman." Friendly guy says "Don't call the floorman. It's obvious string bet. Everyone saw it, the player called it, its a string bet." Middle aged white guy says "Well it is not like that everywhere." Friendly guy says "C'mon, its a string bet...no need to call floorman". Soon the middle aged white guy has gone from ghostly pale to about 10 shades of red. I joke "either of you want a beer?". They look at me like I am nuts. They continue to argue into the next hand. Profanitys fly. Then threats. Middle aged white guy racks up....while both guys are still yelling at each other. Middle aged white guy cashes out but still sticks around. He hovers over the table a bit, then tells friendly guy to go eff himself. Then finally leaves.

I'm guessing this is standard, but curious anyway. That a fight could develop from arguing over if a floorman is necessary.

mikeyworm 06-16-2006 05:06 PM

Re: Are nits the norm at Commerce 20-40?

This couldn't be more standard...unless 4 people were on their cell phones recounting the story in 4 different languages at the same time.

Gabe 06-16-2006 05:10 PM

i don't know if it's nitty, but it's normal.

surfdoc 06-16-2006 05:57 PM

Did you ask the friendly guy if his name was Gabe? How about the middle aged white guy? Either could be him.

onegymrat 06-16-2006 06:05 PM

I figured you're used to this at the 9, which has as many, if not more, nutsos.

TheBronzer 06-16-2006 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I joke "either of you want a beer?". They look at me like I am nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahaha

csuf_gambl0or 06-16-2006 07:27 PM

ill be in the 20 tonight. anyone else?

leaving in about 2 hours, after traffic.

stern, glad to see that you finally step that sh1t up, thats what im talking bout cuh. time to get out the kiddie pool and start making some moves.

sternroolz 06-16-2006 09:17 PM

I'll be at the 9-18 again tonight.

I played last night because I was real tired and took a few hours off to sleep yesterday afternoon. Woke up at 9pm and was bored. My BR has run over what is needed for $9-18, but not the 12K I need for a full BR at $20-40. I decided to take a shot on a weekday when I figured there would be less variance. Anyway, Im glad I did it, but I was really nervous for the first 30 minutes or so and I threw away all bad blinds even though I knew some of the other guys were on a full steal(ie held nada). It's suboptimal play and I don't want to jump outside my comfort zone until I'm ready.

mike l. 06-16-2006 09:33 PM

"the 12K I need for a full BR at $20-40."

lmfao

andyfox 06-17-2006 12:17 AM

What you are describing is not nittiness.

But there is a lot of gratuitous arguing there. Last time I played, there was an altercation over sharing a tray for bottles of water. Floorman had to be called over to break it up. Really.